Skip to content

Snipe and tape removal

Comments

• Also...don't do it on the kitchen granite bench top.

Just a tip...
  • Very nice Matt! Looks challenging to say the least! Is Un-Du like Bestine? In that it's a "tape removal" liquid?
  • It's similar but not as good from all reports. 

The trick is to remove the tape slowly, once you've done it a couple of times it's quite easy to do.
  • Hmmmm...so not like Band aide removal?  Rip it off in one quick pull! :-O ---
  • Thanks Matt, I hope to give it a try one day!
  • edited December 2014

Eisenhower said:
    Hmmmm...so not like Band aide removal?  Rip it off in one quick pull! :-O ---
    lol. You can if you want but you'll be experiencing tears of a different kind
  • hahaha
  • edited December 2014
    Especially if its a poster which cost some dough! :-<
  • Hairdryers and heatpads to remove tape? Anyone tried ? Results? http://archivesoutside.records.nsw.gov.au/conservation-tip-no-1-sticky-tape-removal/ I want to remove a snipe fom lobby card from 50s , one from poster from 70s and 90s ... shall I just use Undo? Don't want to damage like I did with rear window Lobby, but think I rushed it and should have let it soak for couple of minutes
  • It all about the soaking. I use 'undo' works ok, but you do need plenty.
  • Bestine worked for the old Scotch/cello tape I had...PM recommends a heat gun...never used UnDu, does it leave a residue behind?
  • Bestine worked for the old Scotch/cello tape I had...PM recommends a heat gun...never used UnDu, does it leave a residue behind?
    Un-Du is the same basic stuff as Bestine - Heptane and nope no residue
  • Cool-I'll have to look for some UnDu as well.
  • I have a very large Grateful Dead poster which was being held together by massive amounts of clear tape on the back.  Some of the adhesive has left the paper in a rather translucent state, even after cleaning with lighter fluid.  Is there a recommended way to clean that residue, or do I just need to live with the damage?  It's not particularly visible from the front, but I'd like to stabilize it as much as possible in the backing/restoration process to minimize future degradation.

This is the poster in question, I'll try to get some photos of the damaged areas:

I guess the same question would also apply to posters that have been hung with blue/yellow adhesive goo which leaves oily spots on the paper.
  • How old is the Grateful Dead poster?
  • Sorry I just read that it's 1990's. The tape seems quite young, might rub off with lighter fluid if it's still sticky.
  • How attached are you to the poster?

• edited July 2016
    Great artwork on the poster!

-Have you tried Bestine & rubbing/gentle, gentle scraping? 
    -if dry light abrasion with a high grit sand paper?

***just read in New Users thread-if the tape
    has stained into the paper, very difficult to get out. Does it bleed through to front? Bleaching during wash/backing process might reduce/remove some of it.... 
  • Here's a picture of one area of tape residue staining.  The areas that had Scotch/cellophane type tape had much less staining when the adhesive was removed by application of Ronsonol lighter fluid.  The areas with wider, heavier, packing-type tape exhibited staining on the rear.  The surface of the paper after tape removal doesn't feel much different than the surrounding, non-stained paper.

(Yes, there is still tape on the back of it visible behind the stained area.  I've left a few pieces in place until I'm ready to linen-back the whole thing, so I don't have brittle pieces of gigantic poster floating around loose.)
  • edited September 2018
    Well the Bunnings store ran out of Un-do, so I trialled another product (chemical). I use isopropyl  alcohol at work for cleaning fibre optics. It cleans off the sticky residue left by the fibre cladding and evaporates in the same way Un-do and bestine does.

You get 5 times more in the bottle for 3/4 of the price.

• It works. Companies like to develop their own products using simple chemicals anyone can get, then charge a fortune for some wiz bang product that does the same job.
  • I was expecting pictures demonstrating your success!
  • Haven't finished yet.

• Thx for the tip Matt!
  • edited September 2018
    Matt-are you not able to buy Bestine? ....as long as the alcohol works, that’s nice! ....might I suggest an accompanying small pour of Makers Mark over ice as well.... =)
  • No Bestine available but I'll try your suggestion. ;)  
  • Matt said:
    Well the Bunnings store ran out of Un-do, so I trialled another product (chemical). I use isopropyl  alcohol at work for cleaning fibre optics. It cleans off the sticky residue left by the fibre cladding and evaporates in the same way Un-do and bestine does.

You get 5 times more in the bottle for 3/4 of the price.

I had great sucess last night removing old tape from a daybill using this. No paper skinned off. This will be my goto rather than undo. Thanks Matt!!
  • Nice one Sven!
  • Great Sven! ....now some pictures mate....?