Skip to content

Which was your favorite Godfather film?

edited May 2015 in Movie Talk
Pick one and tell us why... I have to go with Godfather II, the De Niro scenes were the best. Plus Simonetta Stefanelli... :\">

Comments

• Charlie,

You've got it ALL wrong...there were only ever 2 Godfather movies...2!

II was and still is the best for me...by a country mile.

De Niro is brilliant, I love the flashback scenes showing us how he became the godfather...Michael's complete turnaround from where he started in The Godfather to be now so ruthless, even his own family is not safe...icing on the cake.

Godfather II is what you call a real sequel.  We fanatics like to pretend III never happened...still haven't seen it all the way through, and really don't plan to.

• edited May 2015

We fanatics like to pretend III never happened...still haven't seen it all the way through, and really don't plan to.

It was the worst. I heard recently that Winona Ryder was suppose to play Mary, so I just imagined all the scenes as if Winona had performed them and I got through it.
  • But I always watch all three anyway...  
  • What surprised me was how bad Garcia was...don't know why but was really expecting him to be way way better...at least sofia moved to directing...just terrible.
  • I think Sophia just made him bad...  How could any actor not be uncomfortable.
  • edited May 2015
    The Godfather for me. It is my all time favourite film! The original gangster story by Mario puzo. Part II is right up there, one of the best sequels ever made. But cannot beat the first film. The first two films are masterpieces and the third is a good film in my opinion. The only thing i could really pick on is the poor acting by Sofia Coppola. I feel people bash the third film because it isn't what the first two films are, Masterpieces.

Just had my blu -ray set out the other night. Thought I'd take a quick snap now!

•  I feel people bash the third film because it isn't what the first two films are, Masterpieces.

A good point
  • I like the original. Sets the tone for the others...cast is excellent as well.
  • I love 1 and 2 equally I only picked one cause I had to.

Im with Ves. 3 did not happen. The fact that I went, I think it was Christmas day,  to watch that garbage on the big screen sickens me to this day.

The fact that I went to watch the 25th anniversary of 1 on the big screen makes happy.

Godfather 1 and 2 are my 1 and 2. 
  • Thats how I was Z, but I think sequels are more harder to make, as they never live up to the Original, but in this case it does, and in some ways surpasses it, so pt2 gets my vote.
  • edited May 2015
    :x I always loved II. Had to buy me the poster!!
  • Mirosae said:
    :x I always loved II. Had to buy me the poster!!
    Proof is in the framing - well done!
  • Thank you David!
  • Paul said:
    Thats how I was Z, but I think sequels are more harder to make, as they never live up to the Original, but in this case it does, and in some ways surpasses it, so pt2 gets my vote.

This is very true...I think the problem is the vast majority of sequels get made purely to generate money off the success of the first.  Godfather II should be held up as an example of why they should be created and how they should be created because, it is a great sequel, but a brilliant film in its own right.

That last part is lacking in a lot of sequels unfortunately.