Skip to content

No hat for Indiana on Japanese Posters...

It was brought to my attention that Indiana is not wearing his hat in the Temple of Doom B2.  Someone suggested that there was cultural explanation.  Have any of you guys heard this?

Comments

• Sean says there is no particular reason and whomever suggested a cultural issue is wrong.
  • Not so fast....
  • edited May 2015

Colin said:
    I was living in Japan at the time and am fluent in Japanese. I seem to remember some discussion about this in the local media. If my recollection is correct, the Japanese poster was adjusted because historically US westerns (with exceptions) have not done well in Japan. The feeling was that the hat gave the impression the movie was a western, so it was removed to reduce that impression.

• That is the silliest explanation ever.
    The first film was marketed as a Spielberg/Lucas spectacular (one of the Japanese posters just features the two of them on it), and it didn't do very well there.

The Japanese distributors just wanted to make sure people realized this is a new movie not just by Spielberg/Lucas, but that it stars Han Solo (Return of the Jedi was still going strong at this time).

The other style Japanese poster for Temple of Doom shows him in the hat, but this is for recognition purposes only.

• Is "silliest" a word?...gonna google that...
  • Well look what the Japanese Monster dragged in....Welcome Sean!

How old are the twins now?

• 15 Months now thanks for asking.
    :)

• Gee time flies.

There's a World map on the site where you can plonk yourself....we use it to track down posters that go missing. Plenty of suspect collectors out there....

• Matt said:

Gee time flies.

There's a World map on the site where you can plonk yourself....we use it to track down posters that go missing. Plenty of suspect collectors out there....

Yeah just make sure you do it before Godzilla finally takes out Tokyo