Skip to content

Charlie's New Studio Thread...

So I have literally finished the kitchen save painting and have been working on the new studio area.  Got the missing sheet rock back up, painted, re-laid the floors and put back the old trim.  Today I finished two of the six flat files that will line one of the walls and act as table space...  I took David's idea of putting them on rollers and it turned out great!  Stay tuned. And once I get the paint done, I'll do a kitchen update!

Comments

• Have you been kicked out of the basement?
  •  Floors are nice (engineered wood?) and the Bose sound system is a must for work room!
  • David said:
    Have you been kicked out of the basement?
    No... lol

I made a 6 month deal with the wife almost 3 years ago to let me use the formal dining room to attempt linenbacking.  We bought the house knowing we would remodel and it was just empty.  Time to move out of there.  I was the lucky grandson to get my late grandmother oak dining room table and it deserves to be pulled from storage and have a permanent place.
  •  Floors are nice (engineered wood?) and the Bose sound system is a must for work room!
    They are some weird floors.  The guy that had the house built and whom we bought it from was like #2 at Conoco back in the day and they spent a ton of money of stuff (80's) stuff.  It is at least 3/8 inch plastic flooring with wood grain on top and has fluted channels on the bottom.  It is some heavy duty stuff.  I just patched in the missing stuff with leftovers from the utility room floors we pulled up...  The funniest part is that I spent half a day saving floors from the other part of the house finished the floor trying to use the best pieces.  Then I go in the garage and it hits me that there were three new boxes up in the rafters the previous owner left with the house.

Yeah and the Bose system rocks!
  • This reminds me I need to reignite my search for a flat file
  • Coming along nicely Charlie!!...looks like most of us are constantly negotiating with our wives for floor and wall space! Although I think David's other half is also into posters so he might be the exception?!!

PS great Cleopatra poster David! would have been one job to cut the frame, matt board, plexi etc!! :)

• edited May 2015
    An unfortunate series of events... So by now I would be wonder what the hell is taking me so long to get back in action... 

Well after I finished the kitchen, I managed to get all my posters into the new room. That is when it all went wrong... 

So my previous washing table had a mirrored top and I had leaned it up where I was moving it - a storm blew through and it was knocked over breaking the top. Now I need to build a new table. 

While sitting in the new room I heard some critters in the wall and went out near the noise and found the bottom two rows of siding rotten and an access point for the critters. Problem was (and most likely the cause) our existing deck (also whet the new table will go) was only a few inches from the siding. So I had to remove the portion of the deck to replace the siding. After removing the deck, the siding was rotten along the entire side of the house about 20'... Not only was the siding rotten, the tar paper, insulation and many boards were rotten. But before replacing I had to get the critter out. Built a wire cone access for the critters. After about a week, I finally got to tearing everything out to discover that the window trim was installed wrong allowing water to penetrate behind the siding causing all the trouble.... 

Long story short I finally replaced everything and started rebuilding the deck. But after inspecting the deck it is in bad shape and 90% of the boards need to be tightened down and refinished. But before I can do that, I need to pressure wash the deck. 

Drug out the pressure washer and it will start but won't run out of choke. Did a bunch of work to get it going but now need to rebuild the carb. 

Once I can get that going, I can wash the deck, repair the boards and use a restore product to get it back in shape. Then I can build a new washing table and install it on the deck. 

Then I can get back to work... Whew!
  • edited May 2015
    That sounds absolutely knackering Charlie! I feel for you mate!

• Wow Charlie! A tremendous amount of physical work & money I can imagine to restore your deck & house siding. Does your home ins cover any of he issues? Posters move down the list when those issues arise. Are you going to build a larger wash? I'm still looking for glass for my outside table. ....is there a silver lining that you discovered it now instead of in the winter months?...
  • Not to mention Houston is having floods not seen in 30 years...  I've been working at the house two days in a row now.  A few of my friends have had water in their houses.  Finished the siding just in time...
  • Are you going to build a larger wash? I'm still looking for glass for my outside table. 
    I think I am just going to go with white laminate this time on an 4'x8' top vs. 4'x5'.  I will also be modifying my existing inside table to accommodate larger pieces hopefully an Italian at the least. 
  •  ....is there a silver lining that you discovered it now instead of in the winter months?...
    They were already getting in I fear.  We had called the pest guys out last fall because we had squirrels before and were hearing noises.  He set a bunch of rat traps.  No takers.    The traps I set for the squirrels, the peanut butter would be completely cleaned off without the traps going off.  We have a bunch of lizards, so I thought they might be the culprits. 

After I closed up the hole, I imagine all the bigger ones got out through the cone, but I did get a few small mice in the traps in the attic as they couldn't get out to find food and finally found the meal I had planned for them... 

>:)

Bastards.
  • edited May 2015
    Charlie said:
    Not to mention Houston is having floods not seen in 30 years...  I've been working at the house two days in a row now.
    Az gets floods every now & then, but imagine they are worse so close to the Gulf-and the forecast has more rain. ----------Friend of mine suggested laminate to wash on as I was investigating plexi for my table top. Can your top piece be bought locally? Lowes? Can't imagine it would be too expensive, compared to glass... ------yeah, I want to by a Fr 1p and the delimma becomes where do I back it? Good luck with all of the house repairs! :)>-
  • Ahh the lover/hate relationship we have with our money pit

• Well I got the pressure washer going.  Cleaned up the deck, tore down the old rotting cedar gazebo roof and put in a tinted green house roof.  Now just to tighten the boards and stain her.  
  • Excellent - then that will be it, no more house repair chores ever again.

=))
  • Charlie said:
    Well I got the pressure washer going.  Cleaned up the deck, tore down the old rotting cedar gazebo roof and put in a tinted green house roof.  Now just to tighten the boards and stain her.  

How's Houston holding up with the flooding? Saw on the news that more than 10 people had died in flooding. Don't see anymore rain headed your way.
  • Houston is recovering... Most of those people (that died) drove into water very early in the morning when it was still dark. The storm that dumped around 10"+ of water was over night and the early risers got up and ran right into it... 

We personally are fortunate to live kind of on a high spot and recently had the creek for our drainage widened about 2 years ago.  There was hardly any difference from a normal rain event where I live.  But we had well 10.12 inches of rain in May according to the county's creek gauge.. The worst for our neighborhood was not getting to play golf on Tuesday because the course was closed.  But I had a friend, whom actually lives in a much more affluent area, that had a foot of water in her house.

And now it is sunny - queue the trailer for "Mosquitoes from Hell Attack!!!!"

• What about the 'gators?
  • Well the shit just continues to bubble up... I got the top portion of the deck done and I wanted to replace one of the cracked boards near one of four support columns...  When I popped it up there sat the main column rotten and not only rotten but 3/4 of the entire width missing!!!  I have no idea how the thing was standing up.  So as I continued my survey all the support beams on the out side were rotten etc...  I shored up the column and poured cement around the supports and into the missing 3/4...

I just now reattached the surface boards this evening.  Needless to say my advice is don't start digging around an old house unless you want to find something!

• Oh no...how long have you lived there Charlie?
  • Well the house is going on 33 years old and most everything outside is original to the house.  We've only been here for four years or so...  Everything is going.  Faucets, siding, deck, driveway...  
  • Charlie said:

I just now reattached the surface boards this evening.  Needless to say my advice is don't start digging around an old house unless you want to find something!

What about finding posters?  :-*
  • Charlie said:

Needless to say my advice is don't start digging around an old house unless you want to find something!

Like old posters?
  • Sounds like when you are finished it will all be just about new...tipping after the marathon effort to get it all sorted, you guys won't be going anywhere soon!
  • We have lift off!  Well at least ignition...  Washing table in order.  Now to the work table inside...

• Who's running the pool for how soon those wind-chimes get ripped from their pozzy?  :D
  • Looks nice! With convenient drainage decking! :D ...is it 4x4 or 6x6?
  • Were you vandalizing traffic signs, Charlie?
    [-X
  • lol  I'm not that brave.  I actually inspected the rebuilding of those two roadways when I was just starting out and they let me keep a sign from each one...  They were replaced - no one got lost as a result.  :-$