Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Woot! Santa is coming!

Merry Christmas!

Borders on Linen backed posters

JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

You occasionally see linen backed posters come up where the linen has been trimmed to the edge of the poster ie no linen border. Just curious as to whether you think this would put you off buying a poster or, if you did buy it, would you want to have it rebacked.

John

Comments

• SvenSven Member Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited June 2015

I do prefer linen border, as a safeguard for handling. But I don't think it would stop me buying something I really wanted if it was rare. I would not re-back the poster, but would be extra careful when handling. 

I sometimes wonder why they are trimmed to the border; perhaps they have been framed previously and the linen border edges became damaged when inserting/ removing from the frame. So the owner decided to have them trimmed to the border to make it look neat. I noticed the Cat Man of Paris in the one sheet EMP auction had some of the Masa paper torn/removed, possibly when removed from a frame (perhaps they glued the matt board onto the linen border) . It probably would look neater slightly trimmed.

If you like this one John, you should get it, it's very nice and rare :)

Post edited by Sven on
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,285 admin
    Sven said:

I do prefer linen border, as a safeguard for handling. But I don't think it would stop me buying something I really wanted if it was rare. I would not put re-back the poster, but would be extra careful when handling. 

I'm with Sven. I'd worry how careful they cut the linen to the poster too.
    David
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,149 admin
    I would guess even if the poster has been framed it could still retain a 1/4 or at least a 1/2 inch birder & still be framed. I have thought some is left in to protect the border. If poster was rare, I'd still buy it though. Wouldn't have it re-backed to many chances for possibly hurting poster.
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

That poster is a rare one and you probably have to take it when it comes up but I generally try and avoid linen backed posters that have been trimmed to the edges of the poster.

John

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    I'm in the "prefer a border" camp too...but if something came up trimmed to the poster that I really wanted, I don't think that alone would put me off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

I believe that generally backed posters trimmed to the border is simply a factor of trying to fit them within standard frame.  It can be exceedingly difficult to locate a 29x43 (or so) frame to fit a backed one sheet.  That said - I prefer the border as well but would not hesitate to buy something scarce if it were trimmed properly.  I do think a trimmed backed poster would hurt overall resale potential though...

I have a backed poste that had the top and bottom linen borders trimmed (not described before the sale of course).  In this situation I had to trim the left and right my self just to make it presentable in a frame :)

Chris
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I would struggle to buy a Linen-backed poster that was trimmed to the edge of the poster.  

I had the chance to buy a Hammer Hound of the Baskervilles very cheap, and it's one I need, but it was trimmed to the edge of the poster, and some of the linen was starting to come loose ... Hence I still need that poster.

If it's a once in a life-time kind of thing Yes, otherwise I'd wait.  Don't get me wrong I hate to see all that white when framed, and can see why people do it, but it's not for me. As you'll guess, I don't have any backed posters up. 
    It's more than a Hobby...
    I frame almost all my posters (except the long daybills) with a mat so any linen is covered.
    David
    With regards to frame size-if it's a fairly high dollar poster, I would spend the money for a custom made frame. If it's somewhat on the lower end, the a standard frame would do-of course those price points are all relative to ones purchases. Even with a standard frame you might be able to "roll/wrap" the canvas back some.
    Sounds a pretty dangerous thing to attempt, might work with paper but linen is surely too rigid?

Sue Heim's frames can be custom cut and I would consider them to be budget priced too.
    David
    Yes-Linen with masa paper gets more stiff, but the linen itself Is very soft. At least the 12 oz I use is but yeah, folding/bending back both could lead to separation. Best to get a custom frame. Have you used the Sue Heim frames? I've heard of Spotlight, never used them. The several I've had framed have all cost me a bit from a custom frame shop in Scottsdale.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,372 admin
    I custom ordered (size) a frame for my LB Conspirator OS (from spotlight)... My LB Sabrina fit fine in it, but when I went to put in my LB Nothing But the Truth, it did not fit...  
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    I'm not a fan of Mat's either, they seem a waste of space, but each to their own.
    Paul said:
    I'm not a fan of Mat's either... but each to their own.
    Indeed.
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

I've found matts brilliant, gave me much more versatility.  When I got my frames for the daybills, I got my framer to cut matts for the several sizes of daybill, to all fit in the one size frame.

So I can put daybills from later era's, say 80s into the same frame I have my earlier stuff by simply swapping out the poster and matt.  Else, would have needed to get more frames done to size...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

I've found matts brilliant, gave me much more versatility.  When I got my frames for the daybills, I got my framer to cut matts for the several sizes of daybill, to all fit in the one size frame.

So I can put daybills from later era's, say 80s into the same frame I have my earlier stuff by simply swapping out the poster and matt.  Else, would have needed to get more frames done to size...

I did the same thing.  Actually maybe I just copied you're brilliancy ;)
    Chris
    CSM said:

I did the same thing.  Actually maybe I just copied you're brilliancy ;)
    Exactly. A key reason I do it.
    David
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,372 admin
    Paul said:
    I'm not a fan of Matt's either, he seems a waste of space, but each to their own.
    Yeah he gets on my nerves too...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,197 admin
    You Mods and your chicanery.....
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,197 admin

Don't worry Paul....we all know Charlie is a cheeky bugger....ummm.....................

:-\"