Skip to content

Another 20th Century Fox Stock Poster Quiz

Here is another 20th Century Fox stock poster and I know you are probably thinking -oh  no not another one.

There are two images and I have worked out one to have been inspired by a well known film.The other I can't seem to work out. I wouldn't think it  is just a generic drawing. The pose, the outfit and the phone surely means it was adapted from an earlier daybill from 20th Century Fox so any ideas as to who it was copied from would be most appreciated.

The good news no more quizzes for a while.

Hondo

Comments

• Not sure about the answer to your question but that's a very rare poster and a good looking stock image.
  • I am curious apart from any ideas if this image was inspired by a actress from a certain film why the letter R appears in the light brown section near the bottom of her left leg. An shortened signature of the poster artist maybe or what?  Something else to ponder.

The image reminds me of a Warner Bros star of the 1930's.

Hondo

• Artist's name most likely?
  • On the yellow section next to the R is it possible that could have been a full signing by the artist but has been blurred in the printing process? I know we have many experts in this area so have I opened up the floodgates for responses to flow forth. If it isn't what I am suggesting, and it most likely isn't, then what might have caused it to appear?

Hondo

• The image on the bottom of the poster was copied and altered a little from the original artwork from the 1955 film Love Is A Many Splendored Thing and the images are of William Holden and Jennifer Jones in slightly altered form.

We still need to identify the girl on the telephone. Any idea?

The 20th Century Fox logo pictured off the poster isn't known to me at all .I can't make out what the bottom two lines say. Anyone know any history about this logo or what the two lines say?

Hondo

• Incomplete daybill , but why?

Hondo

• The 20th Century Fox logo pictured off the poster isn't known to me at all .I can't make out what the bottom two lines say. Anyone know any history about this logo or what the two lines say?

Hondo

The two lines under 20th Century Fox read World Leadership Production.I have finally found an Australian one sheet from 1948 with this 20th Century Fox exact logo on it. Please let me know if oneone comes across this same logo on any Australian paper?

Hondo

• Found a late 1940's daybill  with the unusual logo on it so I now have a late 1940's one sheet and a daybill plus an unfinished stock daybill with an inspired drawing from a 1955 film along with another image of a woman who looks like the Warner Bros. star Joan Blondell on it also.

This particular logo which is rare is interesting so keep you eyes out if you have anything with it on or see any other daybills or other Australian paper with it on please post the information on this thread.

Hondo

• The logo on this daybill appears to be unique to Australia and only for a very short period of time. I have now found 4 daybills and one Australian one sheet only with this logo on it. See if you can locate any daybills or one sheets with it on, I know some members of this forum have posters with this logo on them.It's funny how people look at posters including myself but sometimes we don't see the obvious.image
  • Oh man...I just stumbled across a poster with this logo...sheesh, now I can't remember what it was...I will find it.
  • I have just spotted another one. All the posters are from a two year period.
  • Stealing Chris' image cause I am too lazy to upload:

Plus these:

imageimage

• Excellent Ves. Two things have come out of your posting. I knew about Moss Rose plus five others, but I hadn't noticed until now that there is an added A at the top of the 20th Century Fox logo on the Moss Rose poster. On checking on the other five I have images of  the A is on some and not on others. The second things is the six images I have were 1947 and 1948 but with Twelve O'clock High and Panic In The Streets we now have 1949 and 1950 releases. The interesting thing is the majority of daybill titles from these years 1947 to 1950 don't have this particular logo printed on them. The titles with the logo I have discovered are ---

1947 - BOOMERANG!  daybill

BRASHER DOUBLOON, THE  daybill & one sheet 

CRIMSON KEY, THE daybill

JEWELS OF BRANDENBURG  daybill

MOSS ROSE  daybill

1948 - HALF PAST MIDHIGHT  one sheet ( interestingly the daybill has a diffenent logo on it which was the common one used around this time )

1949 - TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH  daybill

1950 - PANIC IN THE STREETS  daybill

Now that members know the period involved if you find any others with the scarce logo on them please post their images.

• Another three found.

1946 - THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE daybill  ( Australian release was in 1947 )

1948 - YELLOW SKY daybill

1950 - NO WAY OUT  daybill 

Ves. Yellow Sky would look good in your Gregory Peck collection.

The Three Little Girls In Blue is a lovely looking poster. John perhaps wouldn't mind sharing it with us?

If you haven't seen the unusual, for its time, No Way Out I suggest you do so.

• Just to add to the mystery during the period the 20th Century Fox World Leadership Production logo in the cirlce was being used in Australia another Fox logo pictured below was being used on posters overseas in Europe in at least France and Spain.If you have any examples in your collections I would love to see them.

• Good eye Ves - didn't even notice that logo on the PITS
  • What a coincidence - add another from 1947:

• HONDO said:

Another three found.

1946 - THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE daybill  ( Australian release was in 1947 )

1948 - YELLOW SKY daybill

1950 - NO WAY OUT  daybill 

Ves. Yellow Sky would look good in your Gregory Peck collection.

The Three Little Girls In Blue is a lovely looking poster. John perhaps wouldn't mind sharing it with us?

If you haven't seen the unusual, for its time, No Way Out I suggest you do so.

I would love anything Peck or any other area I collect I don't already have...just point me in the right direction!
  • edited July 2015

You can see the source Ves. Only copy I have even seen.i will keep my out for you if anything you're interested in turns up in the future.

CSM said:
    What a coincidence - add another from 1947:

Nice one Chris.
  • Mentioned earlier but everyone likes to see a good image.

• Very nice, almopst easy to pick a W.E Smith style - like picking a Richardson
  • Another great one. Australian one sheet from 1947 of 13 Rue Madeleine. 

• eww...nice!
  • That's a cracker image of Cagney! Nice Nice Nice
  • Fantastic!
  • More soon.
  • Oh beautiful.  That one is simply gorgeous.
  • Miracle On 34 Street ( 1947 ) Australian one sheet and daybill.

• Borrowing the image posted earlier on this thread with the logo in discussion from Chris..

Now two images of an Australian 3 sheet and an Australian one sheet with a different Fox logo on them. B. & W also on similar U.S. paper.image. on image

Something of interest when comparing the similar daybill and the 3 sheet. Coleen Gray is a little more covered up on the daybill.

• I was going to ask if this has something to do with who printed them, but I see not all the daybills are printed by W.E. Smith, so guess not.