Skip to content

Two Different Original Styles Of The Same Daybill Designs.

Sven on the An American In Paris thread has made a great suggestion that we should start a separate thread on  first release daybills that had two different designs. Three BEF daybills have been mentioned  and these  being North West Frontier, Robbery Under Arms and Reach For The Sky.

I mentioned on the other thread there were many Richardson / Paramount titles from the 1920's through to the 1950's that fall into this category. I have a list of those I am aware of. I also mentioned that there have been many daybills over the years where two different styles were sold as both being original when one was a re-release. Some examples are ---

Planet Of The Apes

North By Northwest

Butterfield 8

Africa Screams

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

The Outlaw

This sort of subject is right up my alley so let's clear up a few misconceptions about some daybills. If you have any daybills with two different designs that you believe are both first release let me know the titles or better still post the images. 

Hondo

Comments

• edited June 2015

Let's add An American In Paris  the film that started it all.

We need to keep a master list. So far we have-

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS ( MGM )

DOCTOR AT SEA ( Rank / BEF )

NORTH WEST FRONTIER ( RANK / BEF )

REACH FOR THE SKY ( RANK / BEF )

ROBBERY UNDER ARMS ( RANK / BEF )

hONDO

• Oh what does the other Cat on the Hot Tin Roof look like?
  • Oh what does the other Cat on the Hot Tin Roof look like?

The original is the one you have with the red and yellow background which is rare. The 1966  re-release which is easy to obtain is the one with Elizabeth Taylor reclining on the yellow coloured  bed with her image only on the poster.

Hondo

• Oh ok...I thought there were two styles for the Original Release...phew!
  • edited June 2015
    Doctor at Sea springs to mind. 
    Also Karate Kid & Star Wars trilogy.
  • Mark said:
    Doctor at Sea springs to mind. 
    Also Karate Kid & Star Wars trilogy.

we will add to the master list

DOCTOR AT SEA ( Rank / BEF )

If it's o.k. with everyone let us leave out the 1970's onwards when  a lot of two design daybills started being printed and this opens up so many posters that we will not be able to keep track of them.

• So the second is a re-release?

imageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage

• Here are ones I believe are both for original release:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• I didn't think you'd drop the bombshell so soon Ves. KARBOOOOOM!
  • Shhhh...I never said they were MINE! :\">
  • When I purchased this Spellbound daybill years ago I thought it was original but turns out there is an earlier version (I don't have an image of the earlier one at the moment but someone else might be able to find the image)

• Are you talking about the black one?

• Hmm, can only find the image of the one sheet...

John, post your Squatter's Daughters...I only have the one, but I am pretty sure you have both

• Are you talking about the black one?

Like the one sheet?
  • Yeah, that is the one I am thinking...I was sure I saw it somewhere, but can't find the pic now.
  • A real beat up one sold at the Collector in Carnegie not long ago.
  • edited June 2015

Here are ones I believe are both for original release:

imageimage

The one on the left is a 60s reissue. The Richardson Studio daybill is the original.

The For the Term of his Natural Life daybills are fantastic by the way!

• John said:

Here are ones I believe are both for original release:

imageimage

The one on the left is a 60s reissue. The Richardson Studio daybill is the original.

Thank you for the info...Noted.
  • So the second is a re-release?

imageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage

Yes, Yes and Yes. I don't know where the duotone daybill fits into the picture but copied from the original at some stage.

Hondo

• John said:

When I purchased this Spellbound daybill years ago I thought it was original but turns out there is an earlier version (I don't have an image of the earlier one at the moment but someone else might be able to find the image)

The same design daybill with some minor colour changes, a censorship rating change and the removal of the Australian distributor British Empire Films as the film was most likely, along with other BEF releases, distributed in New Zealand by a New Zealand distributor.

Hondo

• Before someone asks about Africa Screams the re-release in Australia happened in 1953 and was widespread across Australia.

Hondo

• That one is also mine - interesting that there are no printers details.
  • Oh, what about the Seven Brides Posters...let me go see if I can get all the pics together

• Ok, so two more:

The King And I:

imageimage

Chucking in the one sheet just in case...

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers:

imageimage

Again, just in case...

So I always thought the first was the original, and the other a re-release or re-issue...but apparently it is a re-release, so what does the original look like?

• John said:
    That one is also mine - interesting that there are no printers details.
    I emailed you a pic of the original black daybill at the time. I guess about 3 years ago now. Unfortunately I don't have the image stored any longer. Basically same as the Aus one sheet.
  • The King And I  W.E. Smith daybill would have been the original poster printed for the first release in Australia.

The other Robert Burton poster isn't easy to determine. I have a twenty odd page story about this poster but I will have to get back to you on this later.

The King And I Australian one sheet I will need the printer;s information before I can comment on it.    

Now for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. The two daybills are re-releases. Would you also let me know the printer's name on the one sheet then I will comment on it also.

I will post images of the original Seven Brides For Seven Brothers daybill along with a different style one sheet soon also.

Hondo

• Aha...different printer.

So the WE Smith is original?

So what year is the 3rd one from then?