Skip to content

Relining a movie poster...

I've tackled two jobs requiring stripping off old backings...

Most of it I posted on FB but here are some highlights...

Comments

• Interesting Charlie.

Was just reading Dario's Facebook post on this very (frustrating) issue...

• Typically, is linen easier or harder to remove than paper backing?
  • Awesome Charlie! Looks like extremely laborious work! What FB page are you referring to? Would love to follow all the details!
  • I spy with my little eye something beginning with D!
  • Awesome Charlie! Looks like extremely laborious work! What FB page are you referring to? Would love to follow all the details!
    My Movie Poster Works page...
  • I spy with my little eye something beginning with D!
    Yes... I even made wheat paste tonight. Matt should be happy by the weekend.
  • David said:

Typically, is linen easier or harder to remove than paper backing?
    The linen/canvas takes 10 min... The masa part takes hours...
  • Thought
    Charlie said:
    David said:

Typically, is linen easier or harder to remove than paper backing?
    The linen/canvas takes 10 min... The masa part takes hours...
    Ouch! I was hopimg you could soak and peel off! Better to leave on and reback? And if there was lots of restoration to chips and holes...my head exploded!
  • Charlie said:
    I spy with my little eye something beginning with D!
    Yes... I even made wheat paste tonight. Matt should be happy by the weekend.
  • There are some cases when linen backing is not really reversible, particularly when there was heavy restoration and air brushing. I have seen some disasters when posters have not been able to be saved.
  • John said:
    There are some cases when linen backing is not really reversible, particularly when there was heavy restoration and air brushing. I have seen some disasters when posters have not been able to be saved.
    Ahh of course, never thought about the problems one would have with the restored part of the posters

• David said:
    John said:
    There are some cases when linen backing is not really reversible, particularly when there was heavy restoration and air brushing. I have seen some disasters when posters have not been able to be saved.
    Ahh of course, never thought about the problems one would have with the restored part of the posters

Wha?  Those parts just get re-restored...what am I missing?

I assume something is getting re-backed because it was a crappy job to start with right?  So I am assuming any restoration would be crappy also...if all the appropriate materials were used first time round, in theory it should be fine...now if it wasn't backed properly to start with, well then I assume you are in a world of pain!

• edited July 2015
    I think John was referring to when the linen goes bad in this instance
  • edited July 2015

Well, actually I was referring to some posters that had been heavily restored by some of the best linen backers. The owner of the posters had purchased them over the years through various auctions and had had some backed himself. His preference was for linen backed posters to look as close to perfect as possible.

He had stored the posters in a cabinet in his garage but they were affected by moisture during the floods up in Queensland - not ruined, but they had moisture marks and needed to be rebacked. He sent the posters to a restorer and was warned of the risks. When the posters were removed from the linen they found that just fragments of the poster were left. Apparently, the fragments had been pieced together by the original backer and it was obvious that many had been heavily airbrushed. The job of re restoring the fragments would have been massive and no guarantee of success so he decided to leave the rest "as is".

This is obviously a worst case scenario but its worth keeping in mind that these things can happen.

• Ah so when he purchased them he didn't have the full picture on what state they were in when before they we originally backed?  Yep, can see where this would definitely be an issue.

• Interestingly the second poster almost falls in this prior restoration category. The restoration work along the folds and borders not only came off when I removed the masa but since it appears that they used permanent mediums ie acrylic, it acted like glue and pulled more paper with it. The one shown above is a relatively simple backing job. The second is pretty much in 8 pieces right now... I'll post some pics soon.
  • And the backing jobs weren't terrible. They were both in Richie's warehouse and there was a leak in the roof.
  • edited July 2015
    Better to leave on and reback?

I was thinking about this. I need to ask Dario. The backing was really solid. But the problem is that one spot where it might have been weak. Then you are doing it again?