Skip to content

Two Different Original Styles Of The Same Daybill Designs.

Comments

• Dag nabbit!  Now I have to keep looking for an original!  ARGH!

You know now I understand why "Ignorance is bliss"...

~X(
  • Hmmm, that 7 Brides one sheet looks very familiar???

Ages ago I had a load of Aust one sheets from about 1953 - '58. Interestingly, An Affair to Remember was a US one sheet, while all the others were Aussie. No idea why.

Ves, there is a full colour version on the King & I daybill by W.E. Smith if you look on EMP. That is the original release.

• Oh, cross posts...thank you...will hopefully get to all these over the weekend, just have one more pile of rolled one sheets to store away, and then the sorting table is clear and ready for folded stuff...hint hint CHRIS....

Oh pretty...these are basically the only two musicals I can stand, hence me wanting the paper for them.

I've never seen this one before.

• Oh and thanks Mark! :D
  • edited June 2015

Beat me to the punch with Seven Brides For Seven Brothers image.

W.E. Smith Original

A. & C. between 1960 / 62

Robert Burton due to the logo and the classification late 1960's /1971.

The bad news is you do not have a full colour W.E.Smith The King And I daybill but the good news is your limited colour daybill I believe is an alternative colour version printed at the same time as the full colour version for reasons to come.

Hondo

• edited June 2015

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers:

Again, just in case...

Good news I'm sure this is the original release Australian one sheet.

The first re-release around 1960 / 1962.Same printer but quality not as good with .In Cinemascope added which wasn't on very early Australian daybills or one sheets of films made in Cinemascope.

Hondo

• Ok, so I found both One Sheets.  Both the Seven Brides and the King and I are printed by William F. Schey...
  • Thanks Ves for that. The King And I W.E. Smith  two different style daybills are both  from the Australian first release as W.E Smith had ceased printing Fox  daybills mid 1958. I suggest the full colour first then the limited colour style as stock ran down.

The Robert Burton daybill and the William F, Schey Australian one sheet are a  more complex issue. I will shortly introduce a new thread titled Dating The King And I where I will share my thoughts.

Lawrence

• For our master list let us add --

FLYING DOCTOR, THE ( Gaumont British )

FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE ( Australasian Films )

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS  ( Richardson / ( Paramount )

HOUSE OF WAX ( Warner Bros )

HOW THE WEST WAS WON ( MGM )

SCARAMOUCHE ( Richardson / Metro ) 

WAR AND PEACE ( Richardson / Paramount )

Lawrence

• There are many more examples of Richardson / Paramount two style daybills. Come on dedicated Richardson collectors.

Lawrence

• I am just starting to sort through my folded stuff including many daybills..and I came across the two daybills for FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS.

On one it says:

On the other it says:

So two questions, is it quite common for them to be printed by two separate printers, and also, I don't think I've seen the "Designed and Drawn by Richardson Studio" before...anyone able to offer up some more information?

• edited June 2015

I am just starting to sort through my folded stuff including many daybills..and I came across the two daybills for FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS.

On one it says:

On the other it says:

So two questions, is it quite common for them to be printed by two separate printers, and also, I don't think I've seen the "Designed and Drawn by Richardson Studio" before...anyone able to offer up some more information?

It was usually the same printer. In this particular case two printers for whatever reason were used. A good deal of the 10 x 30 wartime daybills were printed for Paramount by Hollander And Govett who happened to use the ''Produced and Drawn by Richardson Studio'' wording. The Double Indemnity daybill has the same wording. Lawrence
  • Hmmm, very interesting, will have to keep a mental note as I go through the rest.

Thank you once again.

• Oh, cross posts...thank you...will hopefully get to all these over the weekend, just have one more pile of rolled one sheets to store away, and then the sorting table is clear and ready for folded stuff...hint hint CHRIS....
    Can I just say here - great examples Ves!  ;)
  • CSM said:
    Oh, cross posts...thank you...will hopefully get to all these over the weekend, just have one more pile of rolled one sheets to store away, and then the sorting table is clear and ready for folded stuff...hint hint CHRIS....
    Can I just say here - great examples Ves!  ;)
    Yeah Yeah you can suck up all you want...what would be more useful is details on what you ALREADY have Mr...but I already have a few aside...stay tuned.
  • Add another to our list.

THE STORY OF DR WASSELL ( 1944 )

imageimage

Both good but I prefer the one on the right hand side.

• What about these?

Stole John's pictures...

• Despite the lack of colour I prefer the first one (Squatters).
  • I believe the first one is an original first release 2nd printing and the second one a re-issue.
  • HONDO said:
    I believe the first one is an original first release 2nd printing and the second one a re-issue.
    Oh really?  Do you have more details on why you believe that to be the case?  Is this about the mysterious full colour version that exists but we haven't seen?
  • John said:
    imageimage
    Both magnificent.
  • HONDO said:
    I believe the first one is an original first release 2nd printing and the second one a re-issue.
    Oh really?  Do you have more details on why you believe that to be the case?  Is this about the mysterious full colour version that exists but we haven't seen?

I believe there are at least  3 different designs of The Squatters Daughter.

Details as follows -

Original release full colour design with British Empire Films printed on it .No image of this daybill sited to date. There is an image of a newspaper advertisement from the original 1933 Australian cinema release that I believe was copied  from the original daybill image.

Next design in order of printing is the duotone version shown earlier. There are two shadings of this daybill poster. Again the British Empire Films name printed on the poster. British Empire Films was printed on posters from 1932 until 1935. This means this poster was a second printing produced between 1933 and 1935, most likely  due to the big box office business the film generated.

Version three is the limited colour version with the same design as the original newspaper advertisement with some minor wording changes  and this time the Associated Film Distributors information on the posters .The name Associated Film Distributors started appearing on film posters between 1936 and 1939.In 1940 the name then changed to BEF in association with Associated Distributors Pty. Ltd. Note Republic and also Monogram had their own logos During this period. I believe this third poster was a re-release poster from somewhere between 1936 and 1939.

The unreadable black section on the bottom of the advertisement would be similar to the British Enpire Films information seen on the duotone re-release daybill. Also note on the second & third line from the bottom of the advertisement British Empire Films. I am convinced the original full colour version of The Squatters Daughter daybill exists somewhere  looking exactly like the advertisement image.

• More recently...

• edited July 2015

Up until now, this is the only version I had ever seen.

Today I find this image...

• OK...that's a cat amongst the proverbial
  • Interesting! I hadn't seen the other version but both are printed by W.E.Smith who stopped printing daybills around 1957. That would tend to indicate that both daybills are original but I will be interested to see what Hondo has to say.

• Agree John.  The fact they are both printed by WE Smith leads me to believe the same...see what a wonderful world Lawrence has opened our eyes too!  I think a few months ago, I would have barely given the printer a thought!
  • We have now discovered five BEF dual first release daybills from the late latter part of the 1950s.

REACH FOR THE SKY

ROBBERY UNDER ARMS

NORTH WEST FRONTIER

A TOWN LIKE ALICE

DOCTOR AT SEA