Skip to content

There is no accounting for taste...

It is quite interesting to me that something as common as a "Wait Until Dark" quad is going off at around $150... When what I considered much rarer Secret People UK OS ended for $62.... I just find it so astonishing that posters you can pick up for much less continue to bring high prices at EMP... But ones that I would think would bring high prices seem to get passed over. Thoughts?

Comments

• IMHO, people buy on EMP (and HA) because that is where the volume is, laziness will probably be the main reason why they don't check if the price they are paying is top dollar, that and convenience of shopping in supermarket situation.

As to those getting passed over where you would think it would go for more, well that is definitely personal taste and perhaps to some extent market saturation?
  • I'd also say bidding wars may be partly to blame. I know I have succumb to that in the past on EMP...sometimes I just get mad and won't let the other fucker beat me even though I know I'm overpaying.
  • Charlie-when you say "much rarer" for the Eng OS & "common" for the Wait Until Dark quad-what selling institutions are you including? When David uses the term lazy-I kinda agree-since you mentioned you buy about 80% from ebay-I've spent some time looking-it takes a lot of time to search through all the avenues of choices. ....yeah $248 was a lot.
  • I can buy the Wait for $150 right now... I include every institution available, ie market...
  • David said:
    IMHO, people buy on EMP (and HA) because that is where the volume is, laziness will probably be the main reason why they don't check if the price they are paying is top dollar, that and convenience of shopping in supermarket situation.

As to those getting passed over where you would think it would go for more, well that is definitely personal taste and perhaps to some extent market saturation?
    Rich-lazy bastards...
  • LOL! Yikes! I see what you mean-just searched on ebay for Wait quad & found 2 for under $80! Shipping could put you near $100. Spirited bidding? Christmas gift? $248 a high price none-the-less.
  • Stupidity plays a part...
  • Trust also pays a part
  • CSM said:
    Trust also pays a part
    In what way?
  • edited December 2014
    I trust my instincts... I've only received one fake in the last 3 years or so. Apocalypse Now OS and I was 50/50 when I bought it.
  • Well I'll say this... My max bid on the Secret People was $150 and I intended to go up to $300... But I wouldn't consider paying more than $75 for the Wait Until Dark. I put it on watch hoping to get it for around $50...
  • David said:
    CSM said:
    Trust also pays a part
    In what way?
    People pay more at eMovie because they know they will get what they bid on, packaging will be very secure and the condition once received will not be a surprise. 

Buying off eBay and from some other online dealers/sources is always a gamble
  • Ahh yes, this is true.
  • CSM said:
    David said:
    CSM said:
    Trust also pays a part
    In what way?
    People pay more at eMovie because they know they will get what they bid on, packaging will be very secure and the condition once received will not be a surprise. 

Not really...
  • Charlie said:
    CSM said:
    David said:
    CSM said:
    Trust also pays a part
    In what way?

Not really...
    Sure one can protect oneself as much as possible when buying online (eBay or elsewhere) through research and common sense but it's still much more of a crap shoot compared to buying from a company like eMovie
  • There are so many examples where auction prices are unreliable. A long daybill for Down to their Last Yacht aka Hawaiian Nights sold for approx. AUD$800.00 recently. If the buyer had made a quick search on ebay they would have found the same poster (albeit unbacked but in very nice condition) for AUD $449.00.

There are many other examples where posters go for ridiculously low amounts on auctions eg For the Term of His Natural Life daybill that ended recently. OK, it was significantly faded but worth a lot more than 200.00. I planned to bid but got distracted with something else at the last minute so someone ended up with a bargain. It just goes to show that the hobby is still small. If someone forgets to bid or doesn't see the auction the price plummets.

Its all swings and roundabouts.

• The idiocracy continues to be abundant over at EMP... It's like these new collectors swoop in with deep pockets and don't really care to shop around buy every cliche poster that comes up in each set... EMP is such a crapshoot it is losing its appeal. Longtime collectors are getting bitch-slapped by the new and uneducated whom don't seem to have any clue of the real ideals of collecting. What is so fun about being able to buy whatever you want for whatever it costs...
  • On a sad note I missed the Follow the Sun US OS... I lost one on HA with a $200 bid. It sold on EMP for $39... It is Christmas, I got carried away with holiday fun. There shouldn't be a scheduled auction on Christmas IMO...
  • $39 is definitely a low price for Follow/Sun. It's a pain having to follow closing Christmas Day...have to agree...closing auctions on Christmas Day would be nice...
  • Wha am I missing here? I know the soundtrack is good, film/actor somewhat iconic in certain circles....but $84 for Buford Uan "Bud" Davis? :pensive:

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/drama/urban-cowboy-paramount-1980-one-sheet-27-x-41-drama/a/161528-52435.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

• Charlie said:
    ???
    I was surprised that a one sheet for Urban Cowboy recently sold for $84.
  • Charlie said:
    ???
    Wow considering they average at $10! 
  • Charlie said:
    ???
    There is no "Waaa" emoticon anymore...
  •  :D 

Sent from my iPhone.
  • David said:
    IMHO, people buy on EMP (and HA) because that is where the volume is, laziness will probably be the main reason why they don't check if the price they are paying is top dollar, that and convenience of shopping in supermarket situation.

Interesting comment and interesting thread.

I search for my posters wherever I can and that does often mean eBay and EMP (not a huge fan of HA), but I find that it's rare that I'm given the choice of two (or more) examples of the poster to pick from. The big sites carry the most stock so of course collectors gravitate there. Sites I used to frequent have been picked clean of items I wanted years ago, so naturally I go where the action is. There's an element of condescension in what is being posted in this thread and I do find it a bit unnecessary. Just because someone is prepared to pay more than you for a poster doesn't meant they're a chump - maybe you guessed the feel in the market wrong. We exist in a community where the hammer price is what the poster's worth on that day. If you think it's only worth half that, well fine, don't add it to your collection but don't sit back thoughtfully stroking your beard and muttering about the new riff raff ruining the hobby. We'd all love top shelf paper for bottom dollar prices. If anyone knows of a site where such posters exist, share it with the rest of us.
  • edited July 2015
    I think you miss-read my comment, but that's OK; I am absolutely certain I never made mention of newbies ruining the hobby, just as I am sure I never said someone who paid more than me in winning a poster at auction was a chump either.

However, what I did say is people should check around before committing their money to an auction bid/buy, if they don't then that is laziness, specially if all you are doing is bidding to win, at all costs it seems.

I also think most, if not all the comments here are about those titles which are mostly readily available elsewhere and not top shelf paper as you put it. Let's say someone paid (say) $500 for a common or garden variety Pretty Woman 1SH, and say we were all in a pub sitting at a table having a drink wouldn't you discuss it?

• edited July 2015
    Charlie said:
    The idiocracy continues to be abundant over at EMP... It's like these new collectors swoop in with deep pockets and don't really care to shop around buy every cliche poster that comes up in each set... EMP is such a crapshoot it is losing its appeal. Longtime collectors are getting bitch-slapped by the new and uneducated whom don't seem to have any clue of the real ideals of collecting. What is so fun about being able to buy whatever you want for whatever it costs...
    This is the sort of stuff I'm talking about. Not any one post in particular, just the tone of the thread overall.
  • Can I go off topic. If anyone mentions Pretty Woman or Top Gun again...I will delete those posts.

All those in favour?

Shut up Aussie Mark!