Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

There is no accounting for taste...

2»

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

To be honest, the putting down of what other people collected by some people on APF was a real turn off for me.

And I mean specifically things people on the forum would buy and post.  Really used to annoy the crap out of me.

I think in this instance when a poster like Urban Cowboy sells for so much, it's a bit of a WTF moment for collectors because, speaking for myself, I don't understand why such a high price would be paid for something that if you wait and look around you would easily be able to acquire for a lot less.  Just like the Impossible Years One Sheet that sold recently...while I would love to have it, I don't think that the price gotten is a, for want of a better word, realistic price for it.  Notice I said I...value, cost, price...everything is so subjective...obviously the person who won it thought that it was a fair price for the poster.

But I get what Charlie is saying...I do see a tendancy with some collectors, particularly the newer stuff, to want to be in the "cool club" and they have to have whatever the latest or greatest everyone is talking about poster, for no other reason than well everyone wants it so I have to have it too!  I don't understand this mentality at all.  Buy what you LIKE for a price you can AFFORD and you will never go wrong.

I don't see a problem in having a healthy discussion on posters and prices they are or aren't fetching, but when we start to question the choices of others, then yeah I'm out...though I honestly didn't see that here...don't forget, Charlie is a Texan drunk on Argentinian wine who likes to give Australian women hugs most of the time...

See Matt, not mention of the cursed two!

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,177 admin
    Hey I'm not drunk all the time!!!
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,177 admin
    Pancho said:
    Charlie said:
    The idiocracy continues to be abundant over at EMP... It's like these new collectors swoop in with deep pockets and don't really care to shop around buy every cliche poster that comes up in each set... EMP is such a crapshoot it is losing its appeal. Longtime collectors are getting bitch-slapped by the new and uneducated whom don't seem to have any clue of the real ideals of collecting. What is so fun about being able to buy whatever you want for whatever it costs...
    This is the sort of stuff I'm talking about. Not any one post in particular, just the tone of the thread overall.
    I thought I was quite poetic with my statement actually... 
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,797 admin
    I certainly meant no disrespect to the Urban Cowboy purchaser. It just seemed like a very high price, given that it has sold for so much less the past 20+ years. Heck I've admitted to paying to much or getting drawn into bidding events & payed a little higher than I wanted when I first saw the piece. Guess they really wanted it! 
    Although I did pay $15+ship once for the poster below, which is rather ironic:

• 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Charlie is a Texan drunk on Argentinian wine who likes to give Australian women hugs most of the time...
    Yeah, local wine tends to make people want to hug women...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Matt said:

Can I go off topic. If anyone mentions Pretty Woman or Top Gun again...I will delete those posts.

All those in favour?

Shut up Aussie Mark!

I'll have nothing left to post about!
    Chris
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,163 admin
    I did have a Pretty Woman db once, it's cute...
    David

To be honest, the putting down of what other people collected by some people on APF was a real turn off for me. And I mean specifically things people on the forum would buy and post.  Really used to annoy the crap out of me.

Yes, I agree with this 100%. I hated it and I was very vocal against those who did, particularly when one Frenchman - no names - who hasn't paid for probably 90% of his posters, would be scathing of people of what people paid for theirs when they posted their purchases. Arrogant #$*^%*!. Poster Police - phooey!

I think in this instance when a poster like Urban Cowboy sells for so much, it's a bit of a WTF moment for collectors because, speaking for myself, I don't understand why such a high price would be paid for something that if you wait and look around you would easily be able to acquire for a lot less.  

Exactly, this is all people are commentating on, and of our current members, I am sure no one here would ever trash someone's purchase if they shared it with fellow members.

But hell, if we all posted a picture of the one poster we overpaid for in our early days, I am sure none of us would mine having the fun poked....embarrassing, but all part of the fun of being a collector.

After all, Chris does own a Top Gun Daybill.
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    I like not to think about the number of posters I overpaid for!  Hurts my wallet...
    David said:
    I did have a Pretty Woman db once, it's cute...
    I bought a Pretty Woman Subway poster...  Still have it.

She is one of the few actresses/actors I can't STAND to watch.

Don't know what it is, but just can't do it!

It's the mouth...
    There is a lot of it...
    David
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,894 admin

A short note, I've been renovating just recently and it's hard to keep up with everyone's posts. I was joking about deleting posts.....back to painting....arrrrrgh

• PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    You stick to the painting, your jokes are not so good.. ;)
    It's more than a Hobby...
    David said:

After all, Chris does own a Top Gun Daybill.
    That is one poster that can never be owned.  You more so lease it from the immortal poster gods for your short time on Earth before it returns to the primordial soup to recreate yet another species of phallically enhanced paper...
    Chris
    Matt said:

A short note, I've been renovating just recently and

This is where you were supposed to continue with "I found an amazing ensemble of vintage Aussie paper"
    Chris