Skip to content

Magazine Advertisements

When stage 1 of my poster collecting began some years ago, I also dabbled in collecting magazine ads of autos, trains & planes.  Few I found. Anyone else collect this type? I also noticed that many have quite a bit of toning. Possible conservation & support prior to framing. 

Comments

• edited July 2015

• No power steering - tanks!

I think I remember my Granddad owning a Plymouth, but it had running boards.
  • Hey David, Charlie, Matt- I'm copying the HTML from Photobucket and pasting it to the "image URL" line from that page logo(using my iphone) and it's not posting the image, but a link. Any suggestions? 

The above was simply downloading the picture/image. Isn't that more taxing on the site?
  • Hey David, Charlie, Matt- I'm copying the HTML from Photobucket and pasting it to the "image URL" line from that page logo(using my iphone) and it's not posting the image, but a link. Any suggestions? 

The above was simply downloading the picture/image. Isn't that more taxing on the site?
    Try using the direct PB link not the HTML
  • Test...Test....
  • Thanks Chris!
  • Awesome...That is great.  A wall of these framed would look amazing I think.
  • A few more...

• edited July 2015
    Two of my favorites...

• One more...

• Awesome...That is great.  A wall of these framed would look amazing I think.
    Thanks Ves, your right! Now if I can just find the right wall... :pensive:
  • Dude,  I have a whole box of 50s Life Magazines...  There are some super two page car layouts...
  • Gotta love the "T zone"
  • Very cool vintage advertisement Mark! I like the Rocket!
  • Charlie said:
    Dude,  I have a whole box of 50s Life Magazines...  There are some super two page car layouts...

Cool, maybe we can arrange some sort of barter for a few of them?!

Sven said:
    Very cool vintage advertisement Mark! I like the Rocket!
    Thanks Sven! I agree, love the old Oldsmobiles; and the add shows a lot of toning which should come out in a deacid/bleaching process. 
  • Question Charlie:

what do you think determines if the backside printing will show through? Paper "sheen/glossy", thickness? I backed some newspaper in some early experiments & it is slightly noticeable when up close. I remember your Grace Kelly/movie ads showed somewhat when wet? did they get better? Not show as much?

Thanks. 
  • Just don't bleach it...  I think I bleaching mine is what caused it.
  • Sounds good, thanks. Deacidification should help lighten it up quite a bit as well, especially a good soak. 
  • I paperbacked one tonight without bleaching it.  Will see if the back print still bleeds...  
  • Results should be interesting. 
  • No bleed through..,
  • Looks great, classic looking ad as well!
  • Very nice.
  • It didn't curl either confirming my air flow theory... Woo whoo!
  • Nice! So two-ply will work?...4-ply costing a tad more... ;)
  • No museum board... I am rethinking that.  Just plain masa... I ordered some new stuff for paper backing will report back when it gets here...
  • Interesting, I guess if the masa is held down by the holytex till dried? Look forward to it...course I need to order some holytex...