Skip to content

Magazine Advertisements

2»

Comments

• All trimmed up...
  • Looks great! :plus_one: The "Ninety-Eight Holiday Sportsedan": BEAST!! ...love those ads for the other images as well; architecture of the buildings is so 50s!
  • Now we just need to find some old Vargas ads...  ;)
  • Indeed! =) , although in my house they would need to be confined to my poster lair. 
  • These ads are great.
  • Yup cool ads, will look great framed!
  • They will! Question I always wrestle with is whether to use a mat or not. It's looks nice, but typically costs more & you can't fit as many on a wall. 
  • I would go no matt for these...just a nice thickish frame.  My two cents.
  • edited July 2015
    No matt, expose 2" of linen
  • As I visualize one on the wall, both good ideas, thicker frame will add "weight" to the piece as it's a smaller size & exposing more border will add contrast to the visual itself!...
  • Sounds good, but I would let the frame be the border, and put them close together, much like Matt did with his lobbies but even closer.  Because they are relatively small, I reckon the more you add to outside of them, the more they will get lost in the frame...but whatever you decide will look amazing and I can't wait to see.
  • :plus_one:
  • Starting to explore the nooks and crannies of VMPF, I stumbled across this older thread, but one I'm definitely into. Lots of ads have great art, and aren't something that was ever released as a poster. Also, you can find ads for almost anything you might be into, and ads are usually much less expensive than posters. Lots of upsides to framing ads. Here's one I bought on ebay a couple weeks ago and put into an old frame:

wurlitzer ad 1948

wurlitzer ad framed

• Agreed! Magazine artwork & the products offer a nostalgia that posters don't always convey; one of my big draws to them & yes, much less expensive than one sheets! 
  • So post some more of whatcha got! It's against the poster nerd code to keep cool stuff to yourself!
  • ok, lemme see what i can dig up that i already haven't posted.... i did ruin one via paperbacking it! Too strong  Cal Hydroxide! :o
  • edited March 2018
    Ok. Here's a couple I found in my now defunct PB folder. 

This one was a successful paperbacking job. 

• This one was going to be paper backed but during the deacidification bath; which I made to strong it ran the ink. Yikes! 
    Before 

after -

Experience = teacher....That and some advice from Charlie. 

• That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Funny that one featuring water ended up looking like it got wet. So it sounds like collecting/displaying ads isn't a current interest, or it just takes running across one(s) you like?

• Can't remember if I photo'd it when wet or after it dried-but yeah, the ink just loosened up & ran. Disappointing but it taught me to use weaker solutions with old magazine paper. 

I still reallly like old ads. Just think I got  so distracted by collecting one sheets. And those lonely Daybills as well.  ;) there are a lot of antique stores in the area that have them; I just need to get out and find em. Maybe this will motivate me to hunt some down.  
  • Still reckon a wall of these would look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G