Skip to content

There Are Australian Daybill & One Sheets Existing For These Films.

Comments

• Dammit
  • Yeah, what David said!
  • edited July 2015

These are the last two U.S. one sheets where I can definitely state the Australian one sheets in the Pickles auction where similar to these designs as per the very small black and white photograph in the catalogue.

The Gay Diplomat poster in the Pickles auction was sold under the Australian title of Kisses By Command.

• I am currently awaiting a reply back from someone regarding some more information regarding the auction and will keep you posted on any results.

Now I have exhausted all the U.S. images of posters that had their designs copied for the Australian posters and that I have proof of to be 100% true, I will soon produce some images of U.S. designs I firmly believe from my memory, notes and some plain logic to be similar to the Australian designs in the auction also.

Apart from Sidewalks Of New York and Politics that I posted recently there are three more images of actual  Australian one sheet styles sold in the Auction and will appear soon as well. 

• Need to hurry up and get smart so I can build a time machine!
  • Gay Diplomat is spectacular! :money:

• edited July 2015

These three designs along with Politics and Sidewalks Of New York whose images were posted yesterday are the only found to date Australian images that I am aware for the Australian designed one sheets sold in the Pickles auction. The Blackmail one sheet image appearing above and marked in poor condition in the catalogue is most likely the poster sold in the auction. I love the look of the This Modern Age poster.

Of the original 66 titles ( 113 copies of the 66 titles with multiple copies of some designs ) auctioned it is amazing that only 5 poster images of 5 posters are viewable on the web. Where are the others?

• Hmmm yeah....good point!
  • I think a lot of "older" collectors don't share what they have, which is frustrating I must admit, but is their choice.

A few people who I have sold posters to, and have struck up a conversation with have an amazing collection, putting most of us to shame, but they don't want to share it, for whatever reason...so I suspect said posters are in those types of hands.

I think one day, they will resurface, but who knows when...

• HONDO said

Now I have exhausted all the U.S. images of posters that had their designs copied for the Australian posters and that I have proof of to be 100% true, I will soon produce some images of U.S. designs I firmly believe from my memory, notes and some plain logic to be similar to the Australian designs in the auction also.

Image  1                                                                                                                         There were eight Australian one sheets, which was the most posters of any film title, and there were definitely two different designs of Palmy Days and I think there was possibly a third design. The above U.S. one sheet design was similar to one of the Australian posters.          

• HONDO said:

I am currently awaiting a reply back from someone regarding some more information regarding the auction and will keep you posted on any results.

Unfortunately no response was forthcoming.  Pity.
  • HONDO said:

I am currently working on a master list of Films released in Australia from 1927 up to 1969 where over many years I have personally sighted either daybill or Australian one sheet images and made a note of the titles at the time. All the films on this list will be for titles where no images have been sighted on any websites to my knowledge. By doing this I am hoping some of there missing poster images will turn up on this thread.

HONDO said:
    By publishing an ongoing list it will hopefully give some members some believe that they perhaps will one day find Australian paper now that they know it exists for a  particular title that they have been keen about for years.

LIST TWO OF AUSTRALIAN ONE SHEETS.

ROAD TO SINGAPORE ( 1940 )

SOLDIERS THREE ( 1951 )

JAMAICA RUN ( 1953) ( emovieposter.com has one in its Auction History section but no image is available )

KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE ( 1953)

THE STUDENT PRINCE ( 1954 )

WINK OF AN EYE ( 1958 )

• I have a Jamaica Run one sheet somewhere. Will send an image when I find it.
  • John has this one too:

KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE ( 1953)
  • Thanks Ves.
  • edited August 2015

LIST TWO OF AUSTRALIAN ONE SHEETS - IMAGES LOCATED.

KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE ( 1953 )  Advised by Ves & John ( image).

• This U.S. design I firmly believe from memory and my interest in it at the time was the same design as the Australian one sheet sold in the Pickles auction in 1998.

• The Quiet Man?
  • David said:
    The Quiet Man?
    What am I missing?
  • David said:
    The Quiet Man?
    What am I missing?
    Your New York LDB?

However, the question is - does a poster exist for that movie?
  • The Quiet Man with John Wayne?  Then yes it does...
  • Both?
  • Yeah pretty sure I have seen both...Craig probably has them.
    Will check tonight to see if I kept any images...definately the daybill, one sheet I'm pretty sure of...but I wouldn't stake my New York LDB on it : =)
  • HONDO said:

LIST TWO OF AUSTRALIAN ONE SHEETS - IMAGES LOCATED.

JAMAICA RUN ( 1953 ) Image supplied By John.

KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE ( 1953 )  Advised by Ves & John ( image).

• Thanks John for Jamaica Run one sheet.
  • From my archives, best image I have at the moment but shows the one sheet.

• Thanks John.
  • Is there a daybill for X Man with Xray Eyes?