Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

emovieposter.com - Auction History

2»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    WOW - must be fastest moving thread ever. Been out all day and have just arrived home. I will have to thoroughly digest all the thoughts and information contained in the postings that have poured in since this morning before I can comment any further.
    Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,465 admin

I think I use Bruce's auction history at least 5 or 6 times a week. An invaluable free service.

....but then sometimes I see the items I was the under bidder on, oh and the gear I paid way too much for.....yeah......thanks a lot Bruce, bastid.  :p

Bruce said:

I will ask Hondo and John Reid. Are the Rocky, blue style R80s and the Butterfield 8 Aust one sheets dated incorrectly, and if so, how? Tell me, and I give Mark credit for 29 corrections, and I will of course fix them when I return to work, and email the buyers.

The 11 images of Butterfield 8 are sixties re-releases ( R66 ) as previously mention by John.

The 14 images of the blue style Rocky  ( actually there are more that that ) are indeed correctly credited by Bruce as being 1977 first release.

Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    John said:
    The Butterfield 8 one sheet is a 60s re release corresponding with the reissue daybill. There is an earlier original release one sheet that is very rare.
    Thanks John. It surprises me that no one told us we were wrong on that before, because we went through a HUGE amount of back and forth emailing with experts on the daybills, but I guess these were missed.

What we now will do is look up the buyers of those 11 one-sheets, and email each of them that we did not know that this was a re-release one-sheet when we sold them, and we will offer that each of them can return them for a full refund, including the shipping, so they lose nothing. We do this even if the sale occurred ten or more years ago (and it is easy to do, because we retain email addresses of every buyer, with the exact items they bought).

If they DO return the item, the record is deleted, and we re-auction it, identified as a re-release. If they say they want to keep it (either because they knew it was a re-release, or because they feel the price was fine, even for the re-release) then we change the record to reflect it is a re-release (and Ves, it IS far easier to do this, than to "amend the record" with text about what happened).

But remember that you have to take ALL records with a grain of salt. Here is an extreme example:
    In 2008, we auctioned a still from GOLIATH & THE BARBARIANS with a nice close up of sexy Chelo Alonso (see it here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/10557954.html)

For some reason, two bidders got into a bidding war, and it sold for $305! Now since that time we have sold other portraits of Chelo Alonzo, and they have sold for what you would expect, which is not much. In fact, in 2013, we auctioned a set of five stills of her, including the $305 one (a different example), and all five sold for just $32)!

So EVERY time you look at past results, you know there may well be aberrations that need to be ignored, and some of these may be "re-releases that were originally mistakenly sold as originals". Is it REALLY that big of a deal? Running and maintaining a million plus record database IS very complicated, and you can either believe what I say or not that it would be too complicated to amend each record with text.

PLEASE just take this database for what it is. If you find this tiny issue of changed info to be so bothersome that it makes you upset, then don't use it. If you find the fact that there ARE a few mistakes in it to be so bothersome that it makes you upset, then don't use it. But for the tens of thousands who use it regularly, it is a real godsend that it is there!

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Matt said:

I think I use Bruce's auction history at least 5 or 6 times a week. An invaluable free service.

....but then sometimes I see the items I was the under bidder on, oh and the gear I paid way too much for.....yeah......thanks a lot Bruce, bastid.  :p

Thank YOU Matt! 99.9% of those who use it also see it as "an invaluable free service". It is my gift to the hobby.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Pancho said:

My view is that Bruce and the team at EMP offer collectors like me a great service in having such a large searchable database. I like to think that as part of the poster collecting community, if I can provide details to EMP that allows them to update their information and therefore increase the overall knowledge in the poster community then I should do so. Matt is usually the guy I deal with and he's always been really grateful and polite when I've sent him any research I've done that can clear up a daybill mystery. As recently as the auctions that closed today I was able to help him identify a sexploitation daybill that they had listed but had no details for. I actually get a real buzz out of filling in the gaps on these mysteries and knowing that my time has now allowed that poster to be added to a huge database for all collectors to use. Plus I like to think that by EMP having the extra details maybe it allowed them to get the consignor a few extra dollars too!  :)

I've probably helped EMP amend the auction results for a dozen or so daybills and I can't say I ever thought about the effect that would have on previous sales...I could see that someone who thought they bought a first release only to learn later that it wasn't could be a bit unhappy. I'm sure that on any big ticket items that Bruce would contact those buyers to offer compensation if appropriate, but I don't think the sexploitation daybill buyers are going to be too fussed!  B)

Pancho, thanks for your kind words, but much more importantly, thanks so much for taking the time to research our mistakes you spot, and letting us know what you find, so we can correct them.

You are wrong in thinking that it matters whether or not the mistake is on a "big ticket item" or a $1 item!

We treat every correction exactly the same. We email the buyer to see if they still want it, knowing the new info, and we offer a full refund, no matter how long ago it was. Does this cost a fortune in man hours? Yes. Do we often lose a lot when we take back an item years later and re-auction it as our own consignment? Yes. But it is also part of what sets us apart from every other auction, so it likely helps contributes to our overall success.

But what contributes to our overall success even more is the hundreds of collectors and dealers like Pancho, and Hondo, and John Reid, and so many others who take the time to share what they know with us, and I thank each and every one of you very much!
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Thanks for your input Bruce!

"But remember that you have to take ALL records with a grain of salt. Here is an extreme example:
    In 2008, we auctioned a still from GOLIATH & THE BARBARIANS with a nice close up of sexy Chelo Alonso (see it here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/10557954.html)

For some reason, two bidders got into a bidding war, and it sold for $305! Now since that time we have sold other portraits of Chelo Alonzo, and they have sold for what you would expect, which is not much. In fact, in 2013, we auctioned a set of five stills of her, including the $305 one (a different example), and all five sold for just $32)!"

This is spot on - auction results are simply the answer to the question "What does someone think this is worth today?" There's always plenty of discussion about people paying waaaaayyy too much or getting a steal. You're exactly right - the grain of salt is certainly required. 
    Rick said:
    I think some people are too pedantic when it comes to dates of issue/re-issue. Bruce's database is a fantastic resource and the vast majority is correct. I've alerted Bruce and his team to a few things over time and they have always responded and changed accordingly.
    I don't really mind if a King Kong daybill is 1948, 1949 or 1952 re-release, or when the blue Rocky came out.
    Rick, thanks very much, but I slightly disagree. I DO care whether that re-release is from 1948 or 1949, because once we get the information exactly right, it will not only always be right in the future for us, but also for every other seller that takes advantage of this free resource.

We had an odd situation a short while ago. A guy emailed us that he discovered that a re-release poster of a 1941 movie that he had bought from us for $2,800 was not from 1952, as we had said, but it actually was from 1954.

He said that therefore he wanted to return it for a refund. Now I personally think he more likely regretted the price he bid, and saw this as a way to "get out" of the purchase, but "a mistake is a mistake", no matter how small, so I did indeed give him the refund. The poster will be re-auctioned, and the original result has been deleted, because that sale never happened. Our database only includes results where the price listed WAS paid in cash, and the consignor was paid in full. This is clearly NOT true of other databases, which renders them not very helpful, and often very misleading.

Our database is not perfect, but it is far better than anything else on the Internet, and once you get used to how to use the search filters and search methods, it works incredibly well to let you see all past results of any item that interests you.
    Mark said:
    You seem to be taking my earlier comments as some sort of personal attack, Bruce. They are only my observations as I browse through your record at different times. Unfortunately I don't have the time to email your staff on every discrepancy I find.
    If you believe the database for Aussie posters is 99.9% correct, I'll go with that. No one wants to see a slanging match back and forth like occurred on other forums.

I don't see it as a "personal attack", but your saying that you "don't have the time to email your staff on every discrepancy I find" does not hold water.

Say you see the Rocky "blue" style daybill here:
    http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/tag/xtype%253AAustralian%2520daybill/film_title/ROCKY%2520%2528%252777%2529/archive.html

All you have to do to report the "error" is click on one of them, say this one:
    http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/9553771.html

You then click on the "Learn more or ask a question?" tab above the image and that takes you to a pre-filled in form, and you can type "this is a reissue" in the box, along with your name and click "Submit". Even if you are an incredibly slow typist, this should not take more than a minute or so.

So if you are NOT doing this, it is for other reasons than your "I don't have the time" reason.

But that is your choice. The hundreds of dealers and collectors who help us all the time do so for a love of the hobby, and it is OK if there are a few who hold back their knowledge for whatever reason.

• 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Bruce said:
    EVERY single time ANYONE sends us a correction (or even some new info) we exhaustively research it and then make the correction if necessary. EVERY TIME.

Ask Hondo. Ask John Reid!
    That's absolutely correct. I have written a few times -not about daybills, of course- and the proper corrections were made.
    110x75 said:
    Bruce said:
    EVERY single time ANYONE sends us a correction (or even some new info) we exhaustively research it and then make the correction if necessary. EVERY TIME.

Ask Hondo. Ask John Reid!
    That's absolutely correct. I have written a few times -not about daybills, of course- and the proper corrections were made.
    And I thank you very much for helping us!

It is also important to remember that a LOT of people don't know as much as they think they do! Every day or two we get a "correction" that turns out to be completely wrong. But even those help us, because sometimes when we ask experts like Hondo or John Reid if the person was right, they tell us they are wrong, but they also tell us WHY that person was wrong (like that the printer of that daybill was not printing in that year) and that expands what we know about that printer, and it helps us in future proper dating of posters.

We rely on the kindness of old friends (and also complete strangers) to make our database as accurate as it is.

Bruce said:

Ask Hondo. Ask John Reid

All true and Matt is terrific in this area and so helpful.
    Lawrence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Incidentally, I dislike when I cite eMovie sales results as references for price points on posters and the seller simply dismisses them out of hand
    Chris
    CSM said:
    Incidentally, I dislike when I cite eMovie sales results as references for price points on posters and the seller simply dismisses them out of hand
    It is human nature that sellers only see the highest results as "valid", while the buyers only feel that way about the lowest prices!
    John said:
    The Butterfield 8 one sheet is a 60s re release corresponding with the reissue daybill. There is an earlier original release one sheet that is very rare.

The original one sheet.

Lawrence