Skip to content

Poster Mountain

edited August 2015 in Professional Restorers
Thought you all might like to see this, specially Mark (aka @Eisenhower) - he has a similar issue to solve this winter with that poster I sent him.

Here's Stage One completed of a very rare Australia 1SH I have that is getting restored by Poster Mountain (John Davis)  http://www.postermountain.com/ It has been cleaned, bathed and all the other secret thing these restorers do - then put onto linen. Stage Two is restoration of the holes, more soon.

Belle Starr (1941) Australian 1SH

More soon I guess...

Comments

• Why poster mountain?  Giving Dario a break?
  • After some spot testing Dario wasn't comfortable with being able to remove the staining successfully, so he recommended I try John.
  • Looks like it got a very good bleaching.
  • Yeah, I've yet to figure Dario's bleaching method.  His posters always look dirty but magically turn white later.  Probably not Calcium Hypo for sure...  PM most probably a chlorine based bleach.
  • Crikey. That one looks almost brand new! Good work!
  • Looks like it got a very good bleaching.
    I think the PMs camera's settings are slightly err 'enhanced'  :D
  • David said:
    Looks like it got a very good bleaching.
    I think the PMs camera's settings are slightly err 'enhanced'  :D
    Indeed. Photographed from on a table in poor lighting, then straight on with flash? Guess the linen support allowed them to shoot under better conditions? :pensive: looks great after stage 1!
  • edited August 2015
    @David- is it just me, (from the pre wash to the post wash photos) or does the "Y" in TIERNEY look smaller on the last upper v part? And did it lose a piece of paper in the wash on the edge next to the name "MacGowan"?

• Some got lost in the wash I'd say
  • Looks like PM is sharing cameras with HA
  • But yes it looks great so far and I must say I am happy to see a poster that really needs restoration actually having it done - far more challenging.  No sense making it easy for the $ output
  • CSM said:
    But yes it looks great so far and I must say I am happy to see a poster that really needs restoration actually having it done - far more challenging.  No sense making it easy for the $ output
    Yup, this was a 'really needs' poster - the photo doesn't show how bad a shape it was, although it was not brittle at all as one might expect
  • edited September 2015
    Well the poster arrived, it really is an amazing job. Service and customer contact was excellent.

I did say that I didn't want it turned into a painting (hold the spray can please) so they really have done an amazing job of bleaching out the stain. Restoration was kept to a minimum; I don't know if there is another one out there to ever be able to compare but this is as good as one can get.

Exceedingly happy. :heart: 

• Plenty of WOW factor there, another successful poster saved!
  • Beautiful!  Congratulations
  • Stunning! Yep im like u dave, hold that spray.
  • Restoration, the title, images, colours, & actors...all great stuff! :plus_one:
  • Looks very nice
  • Well done for having the vision to see what it could look like. The before photo would've scared off more buyers; in fact, a lot of people might have simply thrown it away (I hate to say).

Threads like this certainly inspire me to get some of my damaged paper revived!
  • Pancho said:
     The before photo would've scared off more buyers; in fact, a lot of people might have simply thrown it away (I hate to say).

You really think so?  It was mostly there...I reckon people would have still jumped at it...
  • Even for a rare poster I'd be a bit gun shy at buying one so clearly in need of TLC. That said, I don't usually trade in posters that are quite so old, so perhaps I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to choice and condition.
  • Once you had one done it's easy to commit others, besides as Ves said it was pretty much all there, that said there was a big danger of it turning to mush after the first bath when trying to get it to linen dues to to the condition of the paper. Ves will vouch for the paper condition, she has one from the same collection.
  • Would it be tacky of me to ask ; How much did that restoration set you back ?

I'm try to find pricing on restoring 2 posters in similar condition.
  • Most restorers are happy to give you a rough quote to restore if you provide photos. Price is one thing, also need to consider the quality of workmanship and customer service. 

Dario Casadei comes highly recommended on this forum. He has produced outstanding results. 
  • Not tacky, but I won't tell.  ;)

Every job is different and most (all?) professionals can give you a reasonable estimate provided you send them good images (front and back). Some are dearer than others, but as don't restore on price restore on reputation and referrals.
  • David, I am quite surprised how well that restoration has come up. 

Do these guys do all types of posters??  I have some WEG posters from the early 70's that have some minor issues that could do with some resto.

I suppose it all gets down to cost.  Is it overly expensive for minor tears to be repaired and some bleaching??

Cheers
  • Best idea is to send the restorers pics and ask for an estimate.
  • Rob said:
    David, I am quite surprised how well that restoration has come up. 

Do these guys do all types of posters??  I have some WEG posters from the early 70's that have some minor issues that could do with some resto.

I suppose it all gets down to cost.  Is it overly expensive for minor tears to be repaired and some bleaching??

Cheers
    Hey Rob its personal choice but for me if its minor issues i dont restore and leave in its natutal state (unless i want to frame then i linen back and keep restoration minimal) Unrestored can be more attractive to the next buyer. 
  • Most decent restorers can tackle pretty much anything so your WEG posters wouldn't be an issue, but what it comes down to is how much work you want done on something.

Some like them to look pristine, while others like to retain some of the posters history.

Personally, unless the thing is falling apart, I would leave it pretty much as is and enjoy it. 

What you want done to a poster will dictate what it will cost you.  Just a clean and back will be far less than something which requires recreation and touch up work all over the place.

My advise would be to try a few out and see which one sits best with you.

There is apparently a restorer in Melbourne, but the prices quoted were eye watering for some things.  I've never used them so can't speak to quality of work, but when I have a bit more time on my hands, I might take a lesser poster that require no to minimal work and see how they go.  Generally speak you will need to go overseas for any resto work you would like done.

Good luck should you choose to venture down this path.