Skip to content

Bid for linen backing?

Hi guys,

Don't think this counts as outing an auction - saw this online: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LINENBACK-AND-RESTORE-YOUR-SIX-DAYBILL-MOVIE-POSTERS-/191689502528?hash=item2ca195af40 

Interesting idea, but really don't know what to make of it! Potentially 6 daybills backed for under $100?

Anyone seen this done before? Anyone know of the restorer?

Comments

• If you have very small touch ups to get done, yeah go for it. Anything major...he's no Dario.
  • Yeah I think posterfix - I forget his name - has auctions on ebay for his service, but apparently does terrible work.

I have no idea who this is, so am thinking who in their right mind would send anything having nothing to go on...I mean at least post your name...

• Matt said:
    If you have very small touch ups to get done, yeah go for it. Anything major...he's no Dario.
    Do you know who it is Matt?
  • I think its Dale Anthony
  • Never heard of him...
  • I asked and was advised:

"He learnt his trade in New York, linen backs for Peter Jackson and has just finished a lot of work for a World War one exhibition at Te Papa in Wellington.
    He is also an artist."

(Te Papa is the national museum of New Zealand)

Apparently demand for his skills in NZ are limited from within the hobby in his country, so looking for work elsewhere...I don't have any examples of his work to share however.
  • I believe Robbie has used he's services.
  • I have an Aussie one sheet done by him (I did not commission him for the work - he will buy, back/restore himself and then sell afterwards).  Will dig up a pic.
  • edited September 2015
    I have written to him,

He wrote back, "...Like Michael (Brewster), I also studied in the States.  I studied and worked at J. Fields (New York) and then went freelance.  I did work for the biggest poster auction house at the time "Poster Auctions International".  I also did all the work for Laura Gold (top Art Nouveau Dealer) amongst many others.  So I did top of the line stuff because I had a really good reputation for restoration, which is very art talent based....My prices are certainly a lot more reasonable than some.  I also sell posters via ebay.  Some movie and Travel."

I asked him to join here (but in case he doesn't), I asked him to send some before and after shots or direct us to his website (although I suspect he doesn't have one).

• I had a note back from Dale, here is what he said:

Basically, I can duplicate anything with a photographic likeness.  I'm a fully trained artist.  I do have an art website www.daleanthony.co.nz   However I have never needed a website for restoration etc.  I can email you a complete list of prices if required.

My prices are the same as international prices except they are in new Zealand dollars.  $100 to linenback a one sheet poster.  $65 for a daybill.  Depending on the condition I can bleach.  Or reline.  I charge $60 an hour for restoration.  Cleaning, ink removal, stain removal, elimination of fold lines etc.  All backed onto acid free paper onto 10 oz cotton duck.

daleanthonynz@yahoo.co.nz

That's about it, here's a couple of his recent works.

• Unfortunately I do not have a before pic - as I said it came already backed:

• Finished at $285 including postage.
  • $70 each for (4) 1SH, seems reasonable for linen backing and touch up.
  • Cheap...