War Movies Quiz

Comments

• 8 is Hell to Eternity 1960

9 is Battle Circus 1953

• Matt said:

8 is Hell to Eternity 1960

9 is Battle Circus 1953

Both correct.

A great story behind Hell To Eternity. Based on a true story of Guy Gabaldon who was a Mexican American U.S. Marine who had learned Japanese while living with his Japanese American adoptive family from the age of twelve. At the age of 18, captured 1,500 Japanese during the Battle on Saipan in World War 11.The U.S. Government awarded him the Silver Star and the Navy Cross and was nominated for the Medal Of Honor.

The two photographs I have attached show the real life Guy Gabaldon with Jeffrey Hunter ( who played him in the film). Vic Damone and David Janssen. Guy Gabaldon was a technical advisor on the film. The second photograph from the film depics the surrendered Japanese Gabaldon captured. Several hundred veterans of the Japanese Imperial Army took part in the re-creation of the battle of Saipan, which was filmed at Okinawa.

Guy Gabaldon named one of his sons Jeffrey Hunter Gabaldon.

I recommend a viewing of this film to anyone who hasn't see it. 

• Image # 10.  Name the film title.
  • edited October 2015
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Image # 11. Name the film title.
  • 10 Morning Departure

11 First of the Few

• Matt said:

10 Morning Departure

11 First of the Few

You are going well Matt. Both correct. Morning Departure from 1950 and The First Of The Few ( aka Spitfire ) from 1942. See what I can come up with next to see if I can slow you down a little.
  •                                                                                                                                                                                             Image # 12. Name the film title. An easy one.                                                                                                                                                                                        
  • Image # 13. Name the film title. Should be easy.
  •                                                                                      Image # 14. Name the film title. I'm thinking this one will be harder.
  • edited October 2015
    HONDO said:
                                                                                         Image # 14.
    Name the film title. I'm thinking this one will be harder.
    No Man Is an Island (1962)

George Tweed Interviews (parts 1-4)

• Correct. Wasn't hard after all. Interesting material. Jeffrey Hunter played a lot of real life people in movies and apart from George R.Tweed these include Guy Gabaldon I spoke about recently, Frank James, Owen Brown, Captain Benteen and let us not forget his portrayal of Jesus. 
  • Image # 12. Many years ago this film was shown to U.S. marines to motivate them.

Image # 13. Two of the biggest stars.

• Image # 12. At least one member of VMPF has a copy of the daybill this image originated from.
  • #12-The Sands of Iwo Jima?
  • #12-The Sands of Iwo Jima?

Correct. Sands Of Iwo Jima from 1949 starring John Wayne. Have viewed the film numerous times,
  • "Saddle Up"!!!

• Image # 13. United Artists release. As mentioned previously two of the biggest stars were involved
  •                                                                                                                                                                                     Image # 15. Name the film title. Sorry but the image is the best I could manage but too good not to show.
  •                                                                              
    Run Silent Run Deep from 1958 is the answer to image # 13.
  • HONDO said:
                                                                                                                                                                                        Image # 15. Name the film title. Sorry but the image is the best I could manage but too good not to show.

A tagline used when the film was first released. ''The Gigantic Hoax of World War 11.
  • edited October 2015
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Image # 16. Name the film title.
  •  Image # 16. Some controversy surrounds this film.
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
                                                                                                                                                                                        Image # 15. Name the film title. Sorry but the image is the best I could manage but too good not to show.

A tagline used when the film was first released. ''The Gigantic Hoax of World War 11.

The answer is I Was Monty's Double from 1958.
  • Image # 16 clue - Helping Gen. Patton.
  • 16 The Red Ball Express
  • 16 The Red Ball Express

Correct. Red Ball Express from 1952.

Following up my clue comment that some controversy surrounds the film.

Taken from Wikipedia.

Controversy ( edit )

Almost 75% of Red Ball Express drivers were African Americans, able-bodied soldiers who had been previously attached to various units for other duties. In the making of the film, Director Budd Boetticher claimed that:

The army wouldn't let us tell the truth about the black troops because the government figured they were expendable.

Our government didn't want to admit they were Kamikaze pilots. They figured if one out of ten trucks got through, they'd save Patton and his tanks.

•                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Image # 17. Name the film title.
  •                                                                                                                                                                                          Image # 18. Name the film title.
  • 18 DAS BOOT

Das Boot ( The Boat in Australia ) from 1981 is correct.