Skip to content

Circus Posters

Finally in today, two circus posters Coles Bros Half Sheets from 1941

Comments

• Very nice! 
  • Great colours and june looks pretty cute too!
  • I love Circus posters...me and clowns have a thing...

I only own two though...I just don't look else there would be no end to what I bought!

• Nice Ves...

The style looks old, what year?
  • Nice posters, Matt. 
  • edited October 2015
    David said:
    The style looks old, what year?
    Google is my friend, according to the Power House Museum (Sydney):

Poster, circus, 'Do Re Mi' company / Arthur Jandaschewsky, paper, printed by Stewart Black Pty Ltd, Australia, 1910-1922. Designer unknown. Possibly designed by the lithographic printer Stewart Black Pty Ltd, Sydney.

Made by Stewart Black Pty Ltd, Lithographer, Sydney.

The Do-Re_Mi troupe performed in Australia during this time

History notes (Vis à vis the poster held by the PHM and not Ves!)
    This poster and the accompanying 'Do Re Mi' poster, belonged to Thelma Job and her husband Harry Job, also known as Will Andrade. He ran Will Andrade's magic shop in Pitt St Sydney. There is some suggestion that Mrs Job worked with Jandy the clown (Arthur Jandaschewsky) as a dancer.
    The posters were given to the State Library of NSW by Mrs Thelma Job, widow of Harry Job (Will Andrade). They were not acquired by the State Library, but passed on to MAAS by the State Library's Alan Tasker. Mrs Job told Alan Tasker that she did not mind which institution kept them.

More here in the Sydney Morning Herald from earlier this year: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/sydneys-powerhouse-museum-brings-circus-to-town-20150108-12gx1o.html
  • Yup that's it.  Powerhouse also has the 3 sheet...I considered it, but too big!  Nowhere to put paper that big.  I have this up on the wall here as a permanent fixture and look at it several times a day!  To say I love it, is an understatement.

I love how mine has the hand print in the red section to the left of the clowns...someone just had to put their paw prints on it before it was dry!  Love that stuff..

I have more details on the troupe somewhere but no idea where I've stashed it1

• Jollynice, I'll dig a few of mine out..
  • I have only one, from an amazing spanish circus that came to my city. Went there with my girlfriend -now Mrs. 110x75- when we started dating. Bought popcorn and a great poster. Good memories...
  • 110x75 said:
    I have only one, from an amazing spanish circus that came to my city. Went there with my girlfriend -now Mrs. 110x75- when we started dating. Bought popcorn and a great poster. Good memories...
    Had some good memories of a couple of bottles of 2012 Argento Riserva Malbec we had the other night, no popcorn.
  • Damn you Paul...you got way too many cool posters. Wow look at the colours!
  • FAR OUT.  I knew I was going to hate this thread.  Fantastic Paul.  They are simply stunning!  Quads?

The only other one I have...

• That is first rate..

Yes Quads Ves, and a UK 1sht..

The spaces were for over printing details of where and when they were on. 
  • Yeah, would really love to raid your stash... ;)
  • Yeah, would really love to raid your stash... ;)
    As discussed yesterday, a raid is planned... ;)
  • I got these somewhere...

• I'll have the first one thanks!
  • Sure, I'll send it over - you're somewhere near NEW YORK aren't you?

• Yeah see that's me in the red dress there in the front with my back to you!

• Dave will need a new keyboard when he sees that pic again.....hehehe