Skip to content

VMPF Glitch

I have previously mentioned two threads I posted that had showed numerous views that mysteriously dropped back to one view only. Since I raised this the British Dominions Films released By 20th Century Fox one is now showing as 43 views and On A Clear Day You Can See Forever thread is at 20 views.

These are not the only examples of views decreasing to one only view so I will list five others currently with one only view ---

Horror Stock Poster Kinda / Sorta?   currently showing one view only. Not my listing ( Pancho ) but I at least viewed it originally. Should show at least two views.

Japanese B1s on Ebay  currently showing one view only. Not my listing ( Muddyfunster ) but I viewed it.  Should show at least two views.

M.A.P.S. Logo  currently showing one view only. Not my listing ( Pancho ) but I viewed it. Should show at least two views.

Apache Woman  currently  showing one view only. Mine but  I know of two members who originally viewed it and checked at a later time again. Should show at least FIVE views.

Dating The king And 1  currently showing one view only. Mine.

I come from a clerical / administration background so irregularities like this I find frustrating and find the need to have the problem fixed. 

Comments

• Lawrence I will request from vanilla how to just turn the number of views off. This will also fix the problem.  I see no need to worry about the view count.
  • i never look at view count so it doesn't bother me.
  • Charlie said:
    Lawrence I will request from vanilla how to just turn the number of views off. This will also fix the problem.  I see no need to worry about the view count.

That's up to you. Personally if something is inaccurate I believe the problem should be fixed or at least an explanation of what is causing this problem explained to us by the Vanilla people through the administrators of this website.

To me personally the view count lets me know what people are interested in and seeing I spend a considerable amount of time participating  it helps me determine if starting a new thread, particularly a quiz, is worthwhile or not considering the time needed to do this. I do not wish to spend time on subjects the majority of members are not interested in, so I need an accurate guide to see if people are at least viewing the threads I have posted  and this will help in determining  any future new postings but the viewing recording stats need to be accurate and not all over the place in certain cases.  

• edited November 2015

One more thing - the previous two postings from Charlie and Rick I believe didn't show as new postings and after I  posted my last reply it didn't move up the order of postings that usually happens when one posts a reply.

After I posted this I checked this second posting and is still sitting 7th in order  where it should be sitting in fourth position.

• When you say you know other people have viewed a thread...how do you know that?
  • Question too hard....or not enough page views yet?
  • For me, if new posts are not showing; the yellow "new" post box is not showing that would be a concern for me; if new responses/content were not indicated. 
  • I intend to kill myself over the matter, once I have succeeded in doing that I shall kill Matt and Charlie and then post about it here...
  • Matt said:
    When you say you know other people have viewed a thread...how do you know that?

I have asked them by communicating through using personal emails.
  • Matt said:
    Question too hard....or not enough page views yet?

Two threads were posted around the same period. Darling Lili and On a Clear Day You Can See Forever are similar genre titles probably of minimum appeal with Darling Lili currently showing 11 views which is probably what it actually is and On A Clear Day You Can See Forever showing the ridiculous 162 views having earlier jumped 133 places in 4 hours 20 minutes.
  • Posted the above two replies a few minutes ago and on checking both are currently sitting in 6th place where the thread was before  I posted the two replies. It should have moved up to fourth place. Are the two new posting showing the yellow ''new'' post box your end or not ?
  • edited November 2015
    Lawrence, this is the third or fourth time you raised this sort of query, and I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is not a glitch, the software works just fine. It does exactly what Charlie, Matt and I pay for and that is to provide a forum for movie collectors of the world to come together.

If you are going to count every view in micro-units then you'll do your head in. The view counters are based on cached information, and so some fluctuation may occur as things refresh and become accurate, bottom line, it doesn't miss a beat it doesn't miss a view.

As far as Admin is concerned it is a non issue, as far as the majority of the members it is a non issue, whilst it may be important to you but that is because you count in micro-units. Post counting is not going to make a topic successful, member participation is.

Let's move on, back to discussing Movie Posters and affiliated topics along with other social discussions including the Rugby World Cup results...

•   The final ruling and apparently my final comment on the subject. So much for free speech. Moving on to better received topics I hope.
  • I don't see a problem - what does it matter how many times a topic is viewed?
  • Tea and biscuits will be served in the foyer.

Everyone keep your sticky fingers off the glass cabinet containing the Top Gun Daybill

• edited November 2015
    David said:
    Beach Blanket Bingo! That's Frankie Avalon's finger!!!

...Oopps! wrong thread... =)

• Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• HONDO said:
      The final ruling and apparently my final comment on the subject. So much for free speech. Moving on to better received topics I hope.
    No restriction on free speech, however...