Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Linen backing error?

JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

Can you spot the error with this poster? Looks like someone made the wrong call with linen backing ...

John

Comments

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,077 admin
    Added the blank area up top?
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

Yes. The original daybill was 30 inches long. Someone must have thought that there should be a large blank border at the top similar to long daybills. Maybe they were confused by the RKO daybills being full bleed.

Its a pity because I think the poster has been devalued by adding a large border that shouldn't be there. Not the first time this has happened. Do you think the mistake devalues the poster?

John

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,077 admin
    Not really. Trim it down and framed, who would know. That's what I would do if I wanted to buy it. Look at the poster..not the mistake.
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,230 admin
    Matt said:
     Look at the poster..not the mistake.
    Would explain why there are no mirrors at your house.

David
    Anyone else have any opinions on this? Does it matter if a linen backer adds borders to a poster by mistake? Other examples are Its a Wonderful Life (borders wrongly added), Rebecca (reissue 13 x 30 daybill made to look like a long daybill)
    John

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,230 admin
    IMHO it does matter, because it is supposedly being restored to be like the original -  but as it is fixable probably not as bad as some things.

Tying to remember if I have ever seen It's A Wonderful Life Daybill with borders - I know the measurements are short for the period so I can see how they get it wrong; I've seen Heritage also refer to it as a trimmed poster (when of course it wasn't).
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Would matter to me too...and I am not really (I think) too anal regarding condition.

I can't imagine it would be a cheap poster?  Not really my thing so no idea, but if that is the case...I would be thinking quite seriously about purchasing it knowing that I would have to get something undone, which didn't need to be done in the first place...valuable poster buying dollars!

Apart from being an important boxing poster, it is also a signed example of Norman McMurray's artwork. He did the art for a lot of posters in the 30s but this shows he was still designing posters in the mid 40s.

I think it is possible that someone purchasing the poster might not realise it has been altered and they would be justifiably disappointed when they eventually found out.

John