Skip to content

Working on Original movie poster price guide

I was just wondering if anyone would find value in this?

Comments

• Welcome DF!

Sure would, do you have a launch date in mind?

• Im going to start releasing them in categories. Mostly based on what people would like to see. Right now Im working on Walk Disney animated films. Any suggestions for the next installment?

• Hi and welcome Deaf

Interesting and a helluva a task you'e set yourself. Where/how are you sourcing your prices? 
  • Hi Deaf...  This is the Debbie Downer poster you deleted on Facebook.  It's a fine idea but I would orient it towards beginner collectors as us seasoned collectors source this data from many free sources.   I think what would be an interesting undertaking is determining what a collector would pay vs. what they sell for...
  • I didnt delete you I only deleted the post thinking it simply wasn't needed. Im not really making it to make a huge profit. As a beginner it just seems like there's no central place to see appreciation of these posters. Like if there is a poster that sells for 200 dollars brand new then and then is sold for $10 the price in my opinion should still be 200. Stocks and USD go up and down and I think collectibles in near perfect condition should be the same. But like I said im still a beginner and dont know much
  • A poster is only worth what someone will pay for it...
  • So they have no inherit value? So if I buy some poster for $1 that is the value? Even if you can sell it for 1000? If it has a demand at $1000 then that is the value. Am I correct?
  • What resources do you use to determine value of a movie poster? Who can I talk to get experience in valuation?
  • Your in the best place for it... 
  • So they have no inherit value? So if I buy some poster for $1 that is the value? Even if you can sell it for 1000? If it has a demand at $1000 then that is the value. Am I correct?
    You didn't read it right:

willing to to pay doesn't always equal final price...
  • I can talk more this evening.  Think basic economics with ceilings and equilibrium....
  • Ok I'll do more research on the topic and see what I can come up with. Appreciate the help.

• The market price of anything is the price anyone is willing to pay today not what it sold for/was purchased yesterday. 
  • edited November 2015

OK so I am dropping back in.  I have always seen movie posters based on a basic price/quantity economic curve:

One reason movie poster prices have declined over the past 15-20 years is primarily due to the increase in supply.  And when I say supply, I mean those available for sell. 

Pre-internet, most posters were ordered out of catalogs or physically bought at retail shops and or auctions.  There was no eBay.  These auctions were put together by top notch dealers and auction houses.  The catalogs cost $25 - $50 and you phoned in or mailed in your bids.  This story started with the supply line to the left.  Now assuming demand stayed constant as the internet came around to increase the supply the prices would naturally fall as the supply line shifted to the right. 

Now onto demand. One great example that I can think of is the Pulp Fiction OS that Bruce continues to sell. The demand has remained in equilibrium with supply even though the supply shifted to the right.  Over the past 5 years it has a decent equilibrium price of $150 - $250 depending on condition.   

Compared to the Little Mermaid OS where I would say the demand varies greatly over time as the price continues to swing back and forth yet the poster is easily found.  Basically it's a poster that people buy for their kids or to relive their childhood.  It's not a poster that will have a constant demand for collectors.  If you had to display either a Pulp Fiction or a Mermaid no one is going to question a 40 year old single guy on his choice of Pulp Fiction. 

I also wanted to touch back on "willing to pay"....  Yesterday I bid on a Stargate Japanese B1 that I needed for my collection.  I bid well over $100 on it because that is what I was willing to pay.  The next willing buyer was at $20...  So what is it worth now that I have it?  $20...

The other factor is - What would someone sell it for?  If the demand is high and the supply low you can name your price and perhaps sell your poster.  If the demand is high and supply is high - your poster won't sell unless you introduce other factors such as quality of dealer and corresponding customer service etc...

Bottom line is, like I said, a poster will always be what someone is willing to pay for it and not more but always less... :)

• He's good that Charlie boy...strangely, failed to mention the Rare Rolled Top Gun Daybill Theorem 

Don't forget monopoly equation...

• edited November 2015
    if there is a poster that sells for $200 brand new then and then is sold for $10 the price in my opinion should still be $200. 
    BTW. what if the next five sell for $100, $10, $10, $10, $275 - is it still a $200 poster?
  • I was just wondering if anyone would find value in this?

Many are using emovieposter and Heritage auction history as a price guide these days. It would be hard to match the records and images that they have.

• That makes total sense. Im just running around learning things from every direction. And from what I'm hearing it could be a $200 dollar piece. Or $300. Or $5. You guys have been really helpful. The entire catalog thing was really just me trying to find a way to place a general value of one piece over another. And there are a billion different factors that could determine that, but at the end of the day someone can come along and value it much more than that.
    It all makes sense.