Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

The Stripper / Woman Of Summer

HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     What looks like censorship in print may have happened when this film was released in the 1960s. I would assume the New Zealand censor didn't like the title of The Stripper so the Australian daybill had to have an amended title snipe attached using the more conservative U.K. title  of Woman Of Summer. The other alternative explanation is perhaps 20th Century Fox head office thought the the original title may offend. Who knows?
Lawrence

Comments

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,138 admin
    I note that the title was the same (Woman of Summer or Woman of July) in more countries that it was probably known as The Stripper
    David
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Looking closely at the daybill and the one sheet I am lead to believe the two posters were printed  originally in Australia with the title Woman Of Summer then  altered  to The Stripper.

Just found the following on IMDB under Trivia -  As seen in early publicity photos this film was originally titled ''Woman Of Summer. I believe that the Australian daybill was printed as Woman Of Summer then altered to The Stripper. In the case of the New Zealand released daybill it was changed from Woman Of Summer to The Stripper but altered back to Woman Of Summer for release there.

Released in the U.K. as Woman Of Summer.

Lawrence