Skip to content

How do you store your posters?

I just picked up a new set of flat files bring it to a grand total of 35 drawers...  I also use Bags Unlimited divided tube boxes for some of my rolled stuff.  I also have several boxes of folded posters...  I have been contemplating creating a flattening shelf and moving them all into flat files...

How do you store your posters?

Comments

• I've got a similar 10 drawer cabinet in the garage. Plus a cupboard in the study.

Last month I brought a larger 5 drawer that's big enough to house my linen backed one sheets and sit 3 daybills side by side.

• Like the picture below or rolled up in a tube.
  • Tubes I take it, is bad?

• David, i like ur style..
  • Depends on if they are folded or rolled. Rolled I keep in the tubes and put in bins. Folded I keep sandwiched between hard board to protect them and put them in a box.
  • Folded, then rolled up in Tubes...
  • So there was this interesting article that posteropolis posted on Facebook:

• Bump.  Well?
  • Dunno about the between the mounting board - seems like if space was the issue you would certainly use it up very quickly. The cardboard boxes are fine but will they take the weight of bulk posters when it comes to handling them all the time?

Flat drawers are fine, you can pick one up for a lot less than $500 - provided condition is not key.
  • Hey guys, been wondering if I'm storing my folded one sheets properly. I only have about 25 one sheets but they are still in the tightly packaged Mylar/mail envelopes from EMP & HA. Is the fact that the paper is so tightly pressed together encouraging "ghosting" on them? I saw a nice one sheet of Bataan with ghosting & wondered if this how it occurs. I've seen some nice Mylar sheet protectors at University Products which they can be housed in & boxes to hold. Any feedback is appreciated. Mark.
  • Flat is always best, but you are probably ok...
  • Thanks Charlie. Would love to find a large file drawer which I see several of you have but will try to get some Mylar covers & boxes until then for he more expensive ones.
  • Flat files (drawers) definitely best, Mylar sleeves for your most valuable.
  • Ancient thread but rather than starting a new one....

so are the Mylar sleeves from bags unlimited worth it?  10 for 90$ and an additional 120$ for backboards....

any opinions?
  • Wouldn't bother with the backboards, mylar sleeves are pretty hardy, with a poster inside one can generally throw them around without too much fear.

So, I just save you $120 - you're welcome ;)

Also I put two posters per sleeve, back to back.
  • David said:
    Wouldn't bother with the backboards, mylar sleeves are pretty hardy, with a poster inside one can generally throw them around without too much fear.

So, I just save you $120 - you're welcome ;)

Also I put two posters per sleeve, back to back.
    You are the man!!!  bags unlimited seems to be the cheapest place i've seen.  any other options i might have missed?
  • Yes, when you run out of mylar sleeves divide the posters you have left by the number of members here and send to each.
  • For storing rolled posters i place a couple of sheetsof glassine paper between each poster, probably not required but i do anyway 
  • SoDavid said:
    Yes, when you run out of mylar sleeves divide the posters you have left by the number of members here and send to each.
    So I finished going through my posters and I'm left with one spare.  So David what's your address?

• So I finished going through my posters and I'm left with one spare.  So David what's your address?
    You want me to autograph it for you?
  • Matt said:
    =)
    Matt seems interested...
  • Yes, it was a little obvious....he pushed me aside to make that comment,
  • edited January 2016
    Spotted these in Officeworks the other day.

Cute drawers, will take A3 so good for folded Daybills and 1SHs. $700 for 10 sets (enough to do the alphabet) so a bit expensiveg, but probably OK if you had one or two for the desk to store a few posters in folders until you knew what to do with them.

• edited April 2017

Check out the picture in the ebay ad. The poster has roll bends from being stored rolled for a long time? I have some one sheets stored rolled, so got worried this will happen to mine.

Do any members here store one sheets rolled for a long time? Have you checked recently to see if they have roll bends like the one in the ebay ad?

Any tips to avoid roll bends long term when storing posters rolled ? (or it can't be avoided)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-PLANET-1997-Paul-Mercurio-Harley-Jane-Kozak-Michael-York-Poster-/222476530296?hash=item33cca27278:g:m2cAAOSwSypY8qH7

Any advice appreciated! If I have to store them flat I will.

• I'm not too knowledgeable re storage-but it looks like the poster had some weight on it to create those waves in the roll. 
  • edited April 2017
    Those are because they were stored horizontally with more posters stored on top of them.  You can do this if you have boxes with dividers etc... But if you just stack them in larger diameter rolls, this will happen.  I use to store mine this way until someone suggested the boxes and/or storing them vertically rolled.
  • edited April 2017
    Cheers boys. Gives me some comfort how i have stored them. They are rolled up fairly small in boxes, so no weight on top
  • Hmmm, I must admit I have some of my excess posters stored like this (in rolls in larger tubes sitting horizontally on top of each other).  Though I do put the heavier rolls at the bottom.  Looks like I will need to pull them out and re-assess!
  • If they are in sturdy tubes, there should be no problem. It is when you stack rolls of posters themselves on top of each other horizontally where these creases can occur.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com