Skip to content

Should I have this poster restored ?

Its a Mata Hari poster that I couldn't resist;
http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/romance/mata-hari-mgm-r-1950s-italian-4-foglio-545-x-77-romance/a/161546-53297.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Hopefully you can see it in the link.
Or; Heritage auction  lot #53297

Its kind of rough and I don't really mind that. The stamps add character IMO.
Plus its "only original once".
But for resale value later and a respectable presence now what say ye ?

Comments

• edited December 2015
    I would only linen back if i wanted to display it, otherwise leave as is. It may increase resale value later but the smart collector might only pay the difference in cost from original to linen backed. Depends on how much they want it. Other hardcore  collectors like posters unrestored so they pay more for this...
  • What would one in great shape cost you?

I wouldn't do it for resale value, what you would have done and what the next collector would like will be two different things

If you are planning on putting it up, it probably needs the TLC so it doesn't get more damaged, but other than that...I would leave.

• edited December 2015
    Can the linen backing be removed at a later date with no damage ?
    I'm assuming the backing is to support the paper and prevent further damage ?
    Also "stabilising" the acid might be a good idea.

I have only seen one other for sale, its on ebay, and its in Spain;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATA-HARI-GRETA-GARBO-1931-GEORGE-FITZMAURICE-BRINI-MOVIE-POSTER-02-/361403096633?hash=item54254d9e39:g:WbkAAOSwyZ5UoxaN

Asking $4200 and it looks exceptional. I'm thinking restored.

This poster and a Joan of Arc (Bergman on the horse) are my faves. Something about strong women ?? I'll figure that part out later  ;)
  • Can be removed but suspect would need to be rebacked for stability. 

Yup backing supports paper and the the wash to deacify paper

Bennito, the ebay link you refer to normally sells his posters for 3 to 4 times more than "market value"

• So if I want to mount/display it in a frame linen backing is a safe sure bet (further restoration is an option) ?

Thanks all !
  • edited December 2015
    lightguy said:
    So if I want to mount/display it in a frame linen backing is a safe sure bet (further restoration is an option) ?

Thanks all !
    Hey there - safe bet for what?
    But if it was mine and I wanted to display it I would have it washed/deacifyed/tape removed  and linen backed. As far as restoration goes I would personally would keep to a min - so I'd be happy for minor fold line touch up with water pencils and border repair but would not want borders airbrushed

All personal choice!!

Make sure you get a good framer you can trust ! - UV resistant, acid free material, linen hinged to matt board. No like one of mine where they glued the matt to the foamcore and now my linen backed poster is enveloped between!
  • edited December 2015
    Nice poster, great movie!

As everyone says, it's personal choice. Most (not all) things I have framed have been linen backed, condition was the reason to back and/or restore - plus I want to earn the rare Sergeant Linenback badge, but I digress.... Personally if you are going to linenback then why bother getting it removed down the track to be restored? Just go the whole hog now.

• Sven said:
    lightguy said:
    So if I want to mount/display it in a frame linen backing is a safe sure bet (further restoration is an option) ?

Thanks all !
    Hey there - safe bet for what?
    But if it was mine and I wanted to display it I would have it washed/deacifyed/tape removed  and linen backed. As far as restoration goes I would personally would keep to a min - so I'd be happy for minor fold line touch up with water pencils and border repair but would not want borders airbrushed

All personal choice!!

Make sure you get a good framer you can trust ! - UV resistant, acid free material, linen hinged to matt board. No like one of mine where they glued the matt to the foamcore and now my linen backed poster is enveloped between!
    "Safe bet" meaning linen backing wont hurt the value (it may increase it even), it will support the structure of the poster and keep it from further degradation, and lessen acidification of the paper itself. IE for a poster like this it should be done and is worth the expense.

I'd use a professional frame company such as Hobby Lobby or Michael's here in Texas. Kind of expensive compared to a generic ebay frame.
  • I would stay away from these framers and look into spotlight displays... They have been doing some nice frames for large format stuff...  I am from Houston and would rather use a smaller frame shop if you want to go that route.  The hobby lobby / Michaels places are hit or miss but full of worker bees who might not understand the value of the poster...
  • Agree with Charlie, go with those who know, many collectors use www.spotlightdisplays.com

Also consider www.hollywoodposterframes.com - it's good gear and as Sue is a collector she is always happy to help with questions. Before I became a Framing God I got my gear from there and I am in Australia!  =)
  • ^ Thanks;
    I'll check them out.
  • Make sure you update us...nosy collectors need to get their fix!
  • David said:
    ... Before I became a Framing God...  =)

:smiley:

• Does anyone know anything about a Canadian company called "Backingtothe future?"