Skip to content

Is The Volume Of Repros On The Increase?

Subject is question.

Not just on eBay but I am seeing more and more auction houses round the world now selling large volumes of reproductions than ever before. I am sure some of our quite old collectors/dealers like Bruce or Paul, or even the really old ones like John ;)  might have a better idea/opinion...

Comments

• David, and those auction houses & eBay are identifying the paper as repros? Are they of the more expensive titles? 

Is there a difference between what is a called "reproduction" and what is called a "commercial" poster? 

• For the most part many identify them as reproductions but then I come across things like this:

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/attack-of-the-50-foot-woman-original-lithograph-1659-c-1d8465ab20

As to 'reproduction' vs 'commercial', I can't see there being any difference.

• I have seen this sort of thing on Invaluable before. Usually, the description is a bit vague possibly giving an impression that the poster could be original cinema release.
  • David said:
    For the most part many identify them as reproductions but then I come across things like this:

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/attack-of-the-50-foot-woman-original-lithograph-1659-c-1d8465ab20

As to 'reproduction' vs 'commercial', I can't see there being any difference.

Yeah-the size seems to imply an original release, but "original lithograph" may be how they indicate it's not an original year "theater used" poster. Their "full description & condition" gives no additional information. 
  • I know poster ownership has always been a grey area given that posters should have been given back to the film companies after exhibition, but it's a whole other thing to be charging $1,000+ for a copy of an original poster!
  • Art Legacy is really misrepresenting what they are selling, they insist they are "all are original lithographs" but leave out the bit that is most important:

they are from 1970
  • So I wrote to Art Legacy and asked "(are) All the movie posters in your January auction are reproductions?"

They responded: "Yes all are original lithographs from 1970."

I said: "Then somewhat misleading - they are reprints, why do you not state that?"

They said: "We will rephrase it.  They are original lihographs printed in 1970.   (They do not call them reprints)"

And they have now done exactly that (good on them) - the uninformed are now informed.