Skip to content

Snipe and tape removal

You can use lighter fluid or in Australia you can buy a product called Un-Du from Bunnings which can be found in the paint section.

Wet the area making sure you can see the fluid seep under the tape or snipe. With a small knife gently lift a corner of the tape. Take it slowly.

The fluid will evaporate fairly quickly and won't leave a stain. You can apply more liquid if need be.
The older the tape may leave some residue after the tape is removed but you can apply more fluid and rub it off with your finger.

Comments

• Try water first?
  • Never tried that, if I did I would use distilled water.
  • Dario recommendeds it for removing snipes, just wondering if it would work for tape.
  • Different kinds of glue, and Water doesn't Vap off like Lighter fluid, and could damage the paper. If the paper is slightly dirty, water could also cause a stain...

This thread seems awfully familiar..  
  • Paul said:
    This thread seems awfully familiar..  
    Nahhh you're just losing your mind...
  • I did lose my pics from the other thread as that Bucket account was crap.
  • Good stuff Matt. Im tempted to try this on one of my posters but im too afraid of damaging it. Perhaps u could come past some time and work ur magic!
  • Good stuff Matt. Im tempted to try this on one of my posters but im too afraid of damaging it. Perhaps u could come past some time and work ur magic!
    Arhh..so was I. Then I tried it on some 'lesser" posters. Worked a treat. All you need is practice and that breeds confidence. ;)
  • Paul said:
    I did lose my pics from the other thread as that Bucket account was crap.
    I was just trying to help you out.....you being crusty and old so to speak. :-\"
  • Apologies...pot....kettle...black.... :-S
  • I dont have any lesser posters  :-?
  • I can sell you some...
  • Paul said:
    I can sell you some...
    Postage from me is cheaper. :D
  • No free postage?
  • Un-Du (anything with heptane) is your friend and works awesome - especially on not too old cell tape

• David said:
    Dario recommendeds it for removing snipes, just wondering if it would work for tape.
    You have to soak it to remove decent sized snipes.  It you put water on it you will have to flatten it or it will dry wrinkled...
  • CSM said:

That poster sucks. Send it to me.
  • I used carby clean a few times on cheap posters. Took the tape off pretty good and left no marks. Probably not the recommended method though!
  • I can attest it works just fine, you do have to give it a fair old soak, and when you are finished whatever is left on the poster Dario removes!

B-)
  • Right but then it has to be backed. You can't do it as a stand alone.
  • Charlie said:

That poster sucks. Send it to me.

Sure if you will finish fixing it up and send it back once done
  • Sure send it over...  :^o
  • Can this method be done to the NZ rating stickers that are on Australian Daybill Posters?
  • Robbie said:
    Can this method be done to the NZ rating stickers that are on Australian Daybill Posters?
    You can certainly try it (won't hurt the poster) but Un-Du specifically really seems to work better on actual cello or scotch tape in my experience.
  • Time to remove someones patch up job, ready for some Dario magic.

Once the tape and paper in fill was off, then I kept applying the Undo fluid to scrape off the sticky residue.

And done.
  • Go team Un-Du!
  • You're getting better at it. Well done.
  • Nice work, Matt. How long do you have to let the fluid soak before is starts to do its thing? Is it pretty quick?
  • It is quick and it also dries quickly to. I keep the area wet as I peel the tape off. Just a drop or two as I go along. Then I use that black scraper you see in the last pic to remove the sticky residue. It comes with the small Un-du bottle. You can press down pretty hard with it without tearing the paper. It removes the majority of stains left by the tapes adhesive.