Skip to content

Movie Prop - does anyone know what this actually is?

I picked this up in a collection of medical props used in a war film on the Gold Coast. Looks like some kind of eye chart but does anyone know exactly what it is?

Comments

• Yep an eye test and i suspect used as one of many criteria to determine who gets into the army.

I have not seen that format used but appears to be of some standard.

http://precision-vision.com/product/tumblingeacuitysighttestfoldingchart/
  • edited April 2016
    Although reading the website it says the charts were developed in 1976. What era was the movie based on?
  • When I was a kid (early 1960s) they used that chart for eye tests for kids, because you didn't need to be able to read letters.

The numbers on the right are metric, so it is from a country that used the metric system (the 6/6 would have been 20/20 in the U.S.).

That's all I got!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited April 2016
    They aren't fractions Bruce, they are in yards or Meters, so everyone should average 6 at 6 yards, hence the underlined bit; If your eyes are very good you can see 4 at 6 yards, the smallest numbers, etc. We used 5/5 in the UK. as the standard. 
  • Both right.

"6/6" is metres and "20/20" is feet. It's based on the Snellen Distance vision chart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_chart

Basically for those who can't read.
  • Thanks to you all for the information. Next thing is to date it. All of the medical equipment looks to have been used a long time ago, possibly during the Vietnam war or earlier.
  • Good luck then.
  • If you are thinking the chart is from a movie maybe set during the Vietnam war John then The Odd Angry Shot ( 1987 ), which  was partly shot in Canungra situated in the Gold Coast hinterland, would be a possibility.
  • The Tumbling E Chart was designed by Professor Hugh Taylor of the Centre for Eye Research Australia (CERA) in 1978 to test the vision of Australian Aborigine individuals in an attempt to identify those with the eye disorder, Trachoma.
  • To John -How sure are you the chart was used in a War film?
  • David said:
    The Tumbling E Chart was designed by Professor Hugh Taylor of the Centre for Eye Research Australia (CERA) in 1978 to test the vision of Australian Aborigine individuals in an attempt to identify those with the eye disorder, Trachoma.

Thanks David. This must be one of the earliest examples. It is printed on canvas with wooden handles which I guess made it fairly easy to use when travelling.
  • HONDO said:
    To John -How sure are you the chart was used in a War film?

There have been quite a few auctions of movie props on the Gold Coast over the years. The eye chart was part of a lot of medical props that were used in films made on the coast. It is possible that some were used for more than one film. It appears that the producers sourced genuine vintage articles for many of the films rather than make replicas. There were some quite unusual medical props amongst the lots that I purchased.
  • Here is another prop from the collection ....

• Hmmm...well it's not a Flux Capacitor...:pensive:
  • Cigar lighter/hand grenade combo? :lol:
  • The flashlight Maxi model produced by the Bretton Ets is a magnetic flashlight without batteries.
    It was used in the French army in 1940, including the intervals of the Maginot Line.

It is another of the movie props for a film on the Gold Coast. I have a couple of boxes of stuff but no flux capacitor as yet.
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks much for sharing, John! I do like movie memorabilia. It's seems to be hard to get a hold of. I saw the bulb, but it looked to small for a flashlight. Cool! 

I remember seeing the large red leather from Maltese Falcon up for auction about 10 yrs ago, very neat piece!

• From some information I have come across on the item. Condensed slightly - ''Bretton Cluses dynamo -generator French made 1939-1945 hand driven dynamo / generator flashlight used by cinema / theatre owners , by railway workers and by military person''.

• Like how they use to build things back then that were made to last
  • Another prop from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea filmed on the Gold Coast (the TV movie with Michael Caine.

•  ... and another from Blood Oath

• HONDO said:

From some information I have come across on the item. Condensed slightly - ''Bretton Cluses dynamo -generator French made 1939-1945 hand driven dynamo / generator flashlight used by cinema / theatre owners , by railway workers and by military person''.

Thanks Lawrence