Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Cut / trimmed? 'The Unseen'

PanchoPancho Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
Hi team!

Every copy I've ever seen of this daybill looks like it's had the printer details removed from the bottom. Any thoughts as to why it looks the way it does? The red border clearly runs off the bottom of the poster.

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Pancho said:
    Hi team!

Every copy I've ever seen of this daybill looks like it's had the printer details removed from the bottom. Any thoughts as to why it looks the way it does? The red border clearly runs off the bottom of the poster.

Firstly can you supply me the actual size of the daybill?

Not only is a printer's credit missing there also isn't a distributor's name showing. The applicant who submitted the film to the Commonwealth Censor was Filmways.

I will comment some more after you advise the size of the poster. 

Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited March 2016
    mine is exactly the same
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,230 admin
    edited March 2016
    Bet there was a change of distributor 
    David
    David said:
    Bet there was a change of distributor 
    This is a very interesting situation we have here. Still waiting for the actual measurements from either Pancho or Rick.
    Lawrence

Didn't hear back regarding the measurement of the poster but never mind as I believe it doesn't matter now.

The Unseen ( 1980 ) was submitted to the Australian censor twice for 35mm screenings.The applicant when passed for 35mm public exhibition on the 1 / 7 / 1981 was Filmways Australasia Distributors and when passed also for 35mm exhibition on 1 / 1/1982 the applicant was Star Video. On the 19 / 6 / 1985 the film was classified for videotape and the applicant was Communications & Entertainment. Star Video and Communications & Entertainment Limited ( CEL ) both from the same group.

The film was released in Australia on the 7 / 8 / 1981. ( IMDB source ).

Possible explanations why the daybill was cut was to remove the Filmways credit.There was it appears a change of distributor from Filmways to the Star Video ( PBL organisation ) and the bottom section of the daybill  with Filmways appearing on it was removed either for a follow up 35mm release for the new distributor or for the videotape release when theatrical posters were sometimes supplied to video outlets. 

It would be interesting to see an original full length Filmways released daybill if one exists.

Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,230 admin
    So it's possible the one without the printer credits is a video poster?
    David

A theatrical movie poster daybill trimmed and possibly used for a video release. Not sure about CEL but I know Roadshow sent out some theatrical daybills to promote their video releases at times.

Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    i'm trying to remember where I got mine. I think it was from a a guy with a cinema collection