Skip to content

Whats this?

Errol Flynn strikes again. This is described as an Australian one sheet R60s but no printers details, no censor details. Is it Australian? Is it 60sR?

Comments

• A big clue on the poster helps a little.
  • United artist logo or lack of HONDO?
  • Is there any evidence that it is Australian?
  • By the way Bruce labels it as an undated ( probably 1960's ) re-release Indian film poster.
  • The artwork looks Australian.
  • HONDO said:
    By the way Bruce labels it as an undated ( probably 1960's ) re-release Indian film poster.

Bruce if you read this where did your information come from?
  • Lacks the Warner Bros logo.
  • I auctioned it five years ago, and at that time I did not look at it! See the one I sold here:
    http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/6833682.html

No one on my staff showed it to me at that time, and I guess I missed seeing it browsing, because if I had I would have asked just what you guys are asking, "What makes this Indian?"

I think the lack of a rating or printer makes Australian very unlikely, but I agree the art looks like it could have been. I would say the United Artists guarantees it is 1960s or later, because 1950s would have surely been Warner Bros.

I bet seeing the paper quality would be a big clue. I am thinking it is described by the current seller as Australian solely because doing so likely makes it worth more than if it is Indian!

I imagine you guys have seen Indian posters that look like knockoffs of the American poster, are in English, and are printed on really old paper that looks much older than they are, and this definitely could be that.

That's all I have, and it ain't much!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Heritage Auctions has auctioned five of these one sheets and wait for it also two 3 sheets in the past and are all claimed to be Australian RR 1960s posters. Believe it or not?
  • Lawrence, what do you think? Is there any way it could be Australian?
  • I did find this:

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• And India definitely did do crappy imitations of U.S. one-sheets with no indication of country of origin, like this:

• Back in the 90s a few dealers in Australia received large bundles of posters from Indian dealers. They found the names of the dealers from John Kisch's price guide. There was a note inside saying something like "please pay me what you think these are worth or return them to me" despite the fact that they had not been ordered.

I wonder if that Don Juan poster might have been consigned by an Australian dealer and it might have just been assumed that it was an Australian poster. Hard to tell for sure without seeing the paper.
  • John said:
    Lawrence, what do you think? Is there any way it could be Australian?
    Bruce said:
    I did find this:

I don't know the answer but this is what I think.

I don't believe The Adventures Of Don Juan and The Adventures Of Robin Hood posters under discussion are of Australian origin at least printed for theatrical release on 35mm any way. I suppose it is possible they are printed special posters of some description for non theatrical publicity but I have my doubts about that.

They may both be Indian posters but I am wondering did India produce three sheets?

The United Artists credit rather than a Warner Bros. is a worry.

• There are certainly Indian three sheets. I have one for Vertigo which has been variously dated as 60s, 70s or even 80s.
  • If the two posters are Indian then I will go out on a limb here and say they are probably 1970s or 1980s re-releases. United Artists re-released the following Warner Bros. films in Australia in 1975 in the case of The Best Of Bogie and the very early 1980s for the other two films and the daybills for these titles have the United Artits logo appearing on the daybill posters. The titles are Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and the Best Of Bogey.
  • Here are three Indian 3-sheets (the one John mentioned plus two others).

• The U printed on the poster of Buck Rogers In The 25th Century and The Funniest Man In The World I assume is a censorship rating classification originating possibility from India? Sorry I am too tied to research the Indian censorshio ratings out at this time..
  • HONDO said:
    Sorry I am too tied to research the Indian censorshiop ratings out at this time..
    That library must be a tough place where you go to to your research...

• Lawrence! Now we have a face to match the name! ....well, at least most of a face!... =)
  • I agree with Lawrence that they are unlikely to be Australian. Maybe they could be described as "undated, origin unknown, post war"!
  • Maybe they could just call it pre-Apocalypse?
  • Where is that Library, I may need a visit.... ;-)