Skip to content

The Adventures of Robin Hood Australian 3 Sheet

Comments

• David said:

Just adding another WB logo that doesn't match with others from that era that have been presented as supporting evidence.

Objection. The point is that it does match the two logos that were used at various times between 1938 and 1940. The plain WB logo appearing on the Smashing The Money Ring was used during this period and was being gradually replaced by the shield  with the Warner Bros printed across the centre of the shield. The Warner Bros. Pictures Inc logo.wasn't introduced until around very late 1941 or early 1942.

A thank you to those people who relayed best wishes to me earlier on. Everything is back to normal now.

• I am currently compiling  a year by year list of Warner Bros. daybill , one sheet and 3 sheet posters from 1930 through to 1959, recording the printers' names and the type of Warner Bros. logos printed on them. The problem I am having is the 3 sheets, which apart from the two Errol Flynn 3 sheets in dispute, I have only located 10 1950's individual title 3 sheets with not a sign of any 1930s or 1940s titles. Amazingly not a one found from this period. If anyone has any 1930 to 1959 WB 3 sheets in their possession please let me know. This over all  task is expected to be a long term project. 
  • I think this issue with no 3 Sheets from that period is very strange.
  • I have long suspected that Australian and English one-sheets, three-sheets and six-sheets were really much more "export posters", for use in the U.S. and Canada, where those sizes were standard, and that most Australian and English theaters used daybills and quads in their own theaters.

Why? Most of the Australian and English one-sheets, three-sheets and six-sheets I have been consigned over the years came to me from the U.S. and Canada, and NOT from Australia and England.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited May 2016
    I have a number of British 3 sheets. Almost every one came from Australia, with a few coming from Phil who traded me some great silent posters with gambling themes
  • One of the things that we know is there were printers in Australia in the 30s that had machinery that could print a 3Sheet even if it was in one piece, of course if it was in two or more then there were definitely printers here who could do the job.

First of all given the distinct lack of AU3SH around it is just a curious thing. If we had a whole cross section of pressbooks from the era (across different distributors) it would obviously prove where they were on offer as standard fare, a few old pics from the era of movie theatres would also help too I guess.
  • Ah, nice to have you back Lawrence...the world is good again. :)
  • Thanks Ves.

• A 'not so serious' hood outing! 
  • edited August 2018

The Adventures Of Robin Hood Australian 3 sheet again being discussed on the ''Australian  3 Sheet '' thread.                           To refresh one's memory regarding this poster.                                                                                                             
  • Ha!  Interesting re-read.  Sheesh!

•  Australian newspaper advertisement placed for original screenings commencing at the Civic Theatre Newcastle, N.S.W. on September 24, 1938. Note the style of Warner Bros. logo appearing on the advertisement.

• From my new best friend...Everyone's

• I found an article which said the majority of larger format posters were imported from the US up to about the mid 30s.
    At this point it looks like Victory started printing 24 sheets, as well as 3 sheets etc.
    They seemed to be the go to for creating Standees though, so it looks like the bigger stuff was their thing!

But it's late now and I will post it tomorrow night...
  • edited August 2018
      Great information Ves.

''Shanghai'' ( 1935 ) Australian press sheet poster details. The daybill of course would be Richardson Studio but looking at some U.S.artwork of this title the following would appear to be all Australian printed posters I am thinking.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Ta.  It would explain why really early big ones are few and far between, with probably the majority of those for the Australian productions.
    I'll pull all the articles and references together and post tonight...unless there is a miracle and I actually have some time during the day.

Just imagine what a gorgeous daybill Shanghai would be!
  • From the State Library of Victory site:

• [Billboard advertising the reading of Marcus Clarke's For the Term of His Natural life, on radio 3AW, ca. 1940] - So somewhere in Melbourne

Close up of their logo:

• edited August 2018

This seems to be the logo carried through all their mag ads through the 30s and appears to be the same one on the 24 sheet posted above so at least till 40 they seems to have settled on this one.
  • Lithoscreen?  What the hell is that?!

• This seems to be the logo carried through all their mag ads through the 30s and appears to be the same one on the 24 sheet posted above so at least till 40 they seems to have settled on this one.

What is the date of this particular ad please Ves?
  • It appears throughout all the mid 1930s...33 to about 36 that I sighted...that particular one from 1934...I didn't save them all but that was the date range I noticed so far
  • Thanks Ves for that. I am following up on something at the present time regarding printers. Hopefully I will have some information soon.
  • Looking forward to seeing it :)
  • Gone through all the articles on Victory I found.  The rest say pretty much the same thing as what I have posted, so they would be redundant.

I think I've annoyed people enough...Me out!
  • Gone through all the articles on Victory I found.  The rest say pretty much the same thing as what I have posted, so they would be redundant.

I think I've annoyed people enough...Me out!
    Never annoying. Lots of fascinating information. ( to me anyway ) that we didn't know about previously. You will need a holiday now.
  • You think it possible that when it came around for the RR, they just copied the US 3 Sheet that would have been available for the original release?
    From everything I've seen, seems Victory pretty much did the humongous stuff... 
  • HONDO said:

Top image is the printer style credits used on posters starting from 1944 or 1945 only. Just above is the Australian trade advertisement with the plain WB logo appearing on it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          The following information that I am about to present are factual researched details on the Australian 3 sheet poster of The Adventures Of Robin Hood ( 1938 ) trying to establish if the poster in question was printed for the original 1938 Australian first release or from a later re-release which would most likely would have been for the circa 1949 Australian re-release. I have researched over the years thousands of Australian daybill, one sheet and 3 sheet poster images along with other material from which my following conclusions have derived from. 

1 ) The printer of the poster was Victory Publicity Pty Ltd and is credited on the bottom of the poster as being VP Lithographed & Printed By Victory Publicity Pty Ltd which in this form didn't happen until 1944 or 1945 when this logo was introduced. Prior to this the occasional times the name appeared on film posters I have located it was printed  on two 1930s posters as Victory Publicity Litho on one poster & Lithographed In Australia By Victory Publicity Sydney & Melbourne on the other one. After Victory Publicity took over the role of preferred printer from Marchant & Co. for Warner Bros. poster work in or around around 1943 and only for a short time their name was printed on Warner Bros. posters as Victory Publicity Pty. Ltd. Melb. until around 1944 or1945 when the VP Lithographed & Printed By Victory Publicity Pty Ltd credit came into being.

2 ) Between 1934 - 1937 from U.S. records the logo that appeared on film posters was just WB appearing in a shield shape. Then between 1937-1938 the wording Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc. was added across the centre of the WB logo. Keep in mind in overseas countries including Australia in would have taken a little longer to change the logos.From a The Film Weekly trade publication a advertisement which appeared in the June 21, 1938 issue an advertisement for The Adventures Of Robin Hood has the plain WB only logo on it and from a newspaper advertisement for the Warner Bros. title Gold Is Where You Find It following  at the end of 1938 the plain WB logo also appears in print thus backing up my thoughts Australia took a lot longer to change over to the new style of advertising of the WB logo.

3) The wording Warner Bros. Pictures Inc. Present which appeared on the top of Warner Bros. posters roughly around this time is missing from the 3 sheet.

To sum up -

The printer details on the 3 sheet were not used in that format until around 1944 or 1945. Image above.

The  WB logo on the 3 sheet is different than on the trade advertisement.

The missing Warner Bros. Pictures Inc. Present doesn't appear on the 3 sheet.

In my opinion only I believe the Australian 3 sheet was printed for the circa 1949 Australian re-release based on the printers style of identification used being spot on for the re-release at this time and in this form the style definitely wasn't used in 1938. The second and third facts in my mind only serve to support my opinion. 

I think this information from April 2016 sums up my beliefs.

• Original first release Australian movie flyer advertising the film for a screening on February 10, 1940 from the Western District Touring Talkies outfit. The plain WB logo is used on the flyer. The flyer was most likely printed in 1938 when the film was first  released in Australia, and later printed with the travelling organisations details and screening date for a screening at Heywood Victoria.  This screening was at a town with only a population of 1,287 ( in 2006 ), and the screening venue at the time was only 350 seats, so obviously at the bottom end of the film's run. This logo usage would tie in with my item 2 details previously published and reprinted below.

HONDO said:

Just above is the Australian trade advertisement with the plain WB logo appearing on it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

2 ) Between 1934 - 1937 from U.S. records the logo that appeared on film posters was just WB appearing in a shield shape. Then between 1937-1938 the wording Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc. was added across the centre of the WB logo. Keep in mind in overseas countries including Australia in would have taken a little longer to change the logos.From a The Film Weekly trade publication a advertisement which appeared in the June 21, 1938 issue an advertisement for The Adventures Of Robin Hood has the plain WB only logo on it and from a newspaper advertisement for the Warner Bros. title Gold Is Where You Find It following  at the end of 1938 the plain WB logo also appears in print thus backing up my thoughts Australia took a lot longer to change over to the new style of advertising of the WB logo.

This 3 sheet I believe isn't a first release 1939 poster but a circa 1949 re-release Australian poster due to the fact the style of the printer's logo appearing wasn't introduced onto Australian posters until around 1944 or 1945. 

• Two and half years...