Skip to content

20th Century Fox Daybills

As I briefly mentioned on another thread 20th Century Fox were at times very stingy with the amount of credits they wished to share with potential audiences on their daybills that they had printed in Australia.

These daybill examples from the 1950s  Anne Of The Indies, Let's Make It Legal and Dream Boat show us the extent of how economical  or lazy they could be. No co-stars, producers or any other credits that were on the U.S. insert appear. The Australian daybill posters were always more limited in background images as well and they could never be called busy. Everyone would have noticed Marilyn Monroe's image but not her name appearing on the Let's Make It Legal daybill image.

P.S. The above was complied earlier and has been sitting in my drafts box for a little while but due to the Marilyn thread Let's Make It Legal discussion I have decided to download this new thread now.

Comments

•                                                        White Witch Doctor ( 1953 ).

The Australian daybill appears to me to be a poor man's version of the U.S. artwork. African adventure films in 1953 were big box office attractions with Tarzan, Jungle Jim and countless other films so why leave out publicising this crowd pulling aspect and publicise it as a romantic film ? I am wondering what the one and three sheets would look like ?

• Lawrence you need to relax pal.  Not every topic you find interesting will stimulate immediate rampant discussion amongst everyone else. 

I appreciate all the research and info you contribute but you're really going to drive yourself crazy if you keep taking forum reactions (or lack thereof) as personal affronts :) 
  • Agreed. I have learned a great deal from your quizzes -time & my knowledge limits my participation-and your discussions---I don't look at a Warner Brothers logo the same anymore!  

Heck! I didn't even know what a Daybill was before I hit this site! And no years printed in them???!!!  =)
  • I have learned a lot from your posts Lawrence, I am sure we all here appreciate the time & effort you put into these threads.   Like others have said we might not necessarily be very vocal due to lack of time or knowledge..but sure we appreciate them...so thank you..and do please keep them coming!
  • Mirosae said:
    I have learned a lot from your posts Lawrence, I am sure we all here appreciate the time & effort you put into these threads.   Like others have said we might not necessarily be very vocal due to lack of time or knowledge..but sure we appreciate them...so thank you..and do please keep them coming!

What she said.  I dunno...can't speak for others, but unlike CSM_2_Point_0...I don't just post for the sake of posting (and blatantly trying to bring my comments numbers up)...if I got nothing to say, I shut the fark up...rare but it does happen :)
  • Mirosae said:
    I have learned a lot from your posts Lawrence, I am sure we all here appreciate the time & effort you put into these threads.   Like others have said we might not necessarily be very vocal due to lack of time or knowledge..but sure we appreciate them...so thank you..and do please keep them coming!

What she said.  I dunno...can't speak for others, but unlike CSM_2_Point_0...I don't just post for the sake of posting (and blatantly trying to bring my comments numbers up)...if I got nothing to say, I shut the fark up...rare but it does happen :)

Thank you ladies for your support.
  • Mirosae said:

I am trying to make up for the 2,000 sublimely worded posts that were stolen from me!  ;)
  • The Lady Wants Mink ( 1953 ) Australian daybill and U.S.A. insert poster. A bare-bones Australian poster compared to the U.S. poster filled with images and film credits. It appears the two stars of the film credits were added later.

Fair Wind To Java ( 1953  ). Australian bare-bones daybill, with massive loss of credits but nice colour though, and the more exciting action filled looking U.S.A. insert.

Yellow Sky ( 1948 ). The daybill states ''3 great stars...'', so why isn't Richard Widmark pictured on the poster ? Again a bare-bones daybill minus all the following credits from the insert poster. One thing the daybill has though is Anne Baxter with a gun in her hand, which doesn't appear on the insert.

• Lawrence, 
    The Lady Wants Mink-Daybill. Why wouldn't they have just placed the names on the paper originally? 
  • Lawrence, 
    The Lady Wants Mink-Daybill. Why wouldn't they have just placed the names on the paper originally? 

Perhaps an oversight / goof in the designing stages.

• Viva Zapata! ( 1952 ) U.S. insert and Australian daybill.

Way Of A Gaucho ( 1952 )  U.S. insert and Australian daybill.

Bird of Paradise ( 1951 )  U.S. insert and Australian daybill.

Again these three Australian daybill images contain only basic details compared to the original U.S. insert posters that have multiple images and credits. With Viva Zapata! not even a mention of John Steinbeck or Elia Kazan. On saying this all the Australian daybill versions are colourful though and I do like Way Of A Gaucho.
  •        

The Gunfighter ( 1950 ). As I wind up my participation in this thread that has dealt with 20th Century Fox bare-bones daybill posters from the late 1940's into the early 1950's, I need to be fair and say W.E. Smith for 20th Century Fox did produce detailed information on some of their daybill posters from this period. The Gunfighter daybill is as good an example as you will find with detailed credits printed on the poster. The daybill has even a few more details printed on it than the U.S. insert has.