Skip to content

Dr. Draculas '' Living Nightmares''.

What information is available about this poster ? Did the live show and film screening as advertised ever happen in Australia and if so when ?

Comments

• According to EMP, this show was put on in the 1950s. What is interesting too is that the same show was also put on in the US in the 1950s, with similar-ish looking window card art.

• Thanks Ves for that information link. I have seen this information previously but it is great to have it here for all to see. I would love to hear more thoughts and information on this topic before some information I have regarding the above poster is revealed. A question is do you think many people from the Yuku forum look at our forum ?

• edited June 2016
    Why not reveal the information now, perhaps your thoughts will encourage more discussion?
  •   From the Australian one sheet of ''The Haunted And The Hunted " this part image of the swamp scene was also taken off the original Dr. Dracula's '' Living Nightmares'' Australian poster also.Giving all my information without some imput from others isn't my style. I would like to gather all the facts about the Dr. Dracula's poster that are available before I reveal more, except to say it is legitimate usage of the older original images that were added on to the ''The Haunted And The Hunted " poster. I find of interest that of the three posters of "' The Haunted And The Hunted"  that we have poster images of, the teaser and the one sheet have been altered and added to with older material but the daybill for whatever reason has been copied from  original  U.S. artwork without any older images added . All three posters were printed by the same printer Robert Burton.

• HONDO said:

A question is do you think many people from the Yuku forum look at our forum ?

Yes we doooooooooooooooooooo

• Many are members here, active or otherwise....in the case of Matais. Otherwise.
  • I'm like the sun. Even if you don't see me, I'm there. ;)
  • More like that smell that comes from the woods...

...it could have been a bear. ;)
  • Nothing good ever comes from the woods. Learn that in horror films. =)
  • The first point I wish to make is that I believe the Dr Draculas '' Living Nightmares'' poster is from the 1950's due to the printer being W.E.Smith who had almost ceased printing film posters by 1959, with a few into the 1960's only dragging on with delayed theatrical releases. This fact along with some information I have read regarding a 1950's tour in Australia originating from the U.S.A. has me being certain of the decade being 1950's.

The second point is there is no proof this poster was actually used to advertise any actual performances in Australia, although we are led to understand they happened. I am not saying the programme didn't take place here in Australia but I am only commenting that there isn't any proof to be found to prove it actually took place.     

One of the following is most likely what happened.

a) The advertised programme did occur in theatres in Australia sometime during the 1950's at venues yet to be confirmed.

b) The posters were printed by W.E. Smith in Australia but the programme never took place here for whatever reason, although the people behind it were out in Australia in the 1950's. Perhaps suitable venues couldn't be found.

c) The fact there isn't any Australian censorship ratings appearing on the poster to cover the film content, perhaps the posters were printed here in Australia for New Zealand audiences performances. There isn't at this time any proof of this happening either.

I have spoken about the poster and it's release or non-release possibilities  but at a later time I will share some details to do with the people behind the programme and later happenings that occurred here in Australia that I am sure will be of interest to readers. 

Something I would like to know though is, as there appears to be a number of these posters around,  does anyone know where any of them originally were sourced from ? 

• If it was a theatre show and not a movie, why would it have the rating on it?
  • If it was a theatre show and not a movie, why would it have the rating on it?

It was to be a theatrical show and film screening combined.The poster in question has '' Plus on screen super horror thriller'' printed on the bottom of the poster and regulations regarding film screenings in Australia at that time would have required some rating warning of some description I would have thought even though the name of the film isn't mentioned at all.
  • One thought/question: Because the actual movie that was going to be played had not been named on the poster at the time of its printing, (and possibly the movie titles might have changed or rotated) would it have been possible that a ratings snipe could have been added/attached to the poster later on, once the movie had been chosen to be screened in a particular city?
  • One thought/question: Because the actual movie that was going to be played had not been named on the poster at the time of its printing, (and possibly the movie titles might have changed or rotated) would it have been possible that a ratings snipe could have been added/attached to the poster later on, once the movie had been chosen to be screened in a particular city?

This is what I was thinking too...I would imagine it would be hard to put a rating on not knowing what is actually going to be shown.
    Seems more than logical.
    Yes indeed this is possible but I have seen numerous images  of the poster being offered for sale or auction and not one of them has had a snipe attached making me think that the programme possibly never happened in Australia. The posters always seems to be in very good condition apart from some staining which happens in storage at times and also  one copy was advertised as never being folded. Someone on the internet has dated this poster as being 1952, but doesn't state if they are referring to the U.S. or Australian release. I feel they mean the U.S. release of the programme. Extensive research by me hasn't found any proof of this though. A great help would be if anyone knows the source of where the posters supply originated from?
  • edited June 2016
                                                     There is a connection between Dr. Draculas '' Living Nightmares" and Virgil.
  •                                                                                                               Donna Haynes

•                                                   The connection between Dr. Draculas ''Living Nightmares'' and Virgil World Famous Magician is Carl Mondor. I am sure most of you know by now Donna Haynes was Card Mondor's wife.
  • I have read the following - ''Card Mondor in 1951-1952 was tour manager and promotions for ''The Great Virgil'' tour of Australia and New Zealand''. The tour started in New Zealand in 1952 then followed in Australia starting July 14th, 1952 and on into 1953. The tour was called ''Magician''. More on Carl Mondor at a later date on another thread.

• Show off
  • 110x75 said:
    Show off

• Poster from the U.S.A. performances.
  • HONDO said:

Poster from the U.S.A. performances.
    Indeed
  • Something to think about. This poster although printed in Australia was possibly taken back and used in the U.S.A. and never in Australia.

• There's one currently on ebay in case someone wants to inspect it in person...

• Pricey considering the condition

And if you wanted to then add another $300+ to clean it up and it's an expensive proposition
  • I cannot find the listing...damn mirages