Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Please remember this is a dealer free zone - no adverts posts by dealers please. Read the rules (under Advertising) here: http://goo.gl/Rk6IMQ or if you would like to advertise, read more here: http://goo.gl/Df4ZIB

Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey

BertnBobBertnBob Member Posts: 10 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
Hi!

Many of you may already know me so I'd like to introduce myself to those of you who don't.

My name is Glenn and I collect paper on Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey.

I'm 27 lobby cards short of having complete sets for all of their 21 films.

If anyone out there has anything on Bert and Bob they'd like to trade or sell I'd be interested if I don't already have it.  That goes for anything from pressbooks to glass slides to posters up to 3 sheet size.  I'm not much on stills unless you're offering them in a lot for a really good price.

Thanks,

Glenn

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Good luck with this request Glenn.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    BertnBob said:

I'm 27 lobby cards short of having complete sets for all of their 21 films.

Phenomenal effort!  Best of luck...
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 814 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Wheeler and Woolsey are criminally under-appreciated!

Here is a great clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCGD2a5iE3M

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Loved the clip. Very funny.
    Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,163 admin
    Never heard of them. Good work on the clip, some good editing too.
    David
    Have a look on Bruce's Auction History site under the title Kentucky Kernels and  you will find an image of an Australian long daybill from RKO.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
  • BertnBobBertnBob Member Posts: 10 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thanks to all for the encouragement!  I know most of the 27 are out there somewhere from previous eBay sales and auctions.

It will be interesting to see if I outlast the hunt or the other way around!

Glenn
    How come this comic duo, how did you get interested?
    David
    David - 

I saw Wheeler and Woolsey on AMC years ago when that channel was all movies.  I had never heard of them.  I was still a novice when it came to old movies.  I knew all the "greats" but was kind of thrown off by them. Very different kind of humor.  Now they seem very quaint. More toward vaudeville then strictly film like Laurel and Hardy for example. Hard to imagine a whole theatre erupting with laughter at their antics but they helped save RKO in the early days.  And then there's their delightful co-star, the adorable Dorothy Lee.

Bert and Bob only made 21 features and a couple of shorts.  A good comedy team to collect since there is a limited number of material to be had and, for the time being, somewhat reasonably priced. So much of it is that great 1930's RKO artwork. Also their stuff comes up so rarely that it gives me time to save up for the next big ticket item that surfaces! I think I'm one of about 3 or 4 people who specifically collect Wheeler and Woolsey. I know I've met 2 others for sure.

My first lobby card was from MUMMY'S BOYS. Since then I've seen all their movies, read the Ed Watz book several times.  In fact Ed Watz sold me his collection which included a highly prized, full script for the extremely censored SO THIS IS AFRICA.

I know there is a lot out there that exists that I don't have. I don't expect to ever see the entire collection completed. I did recently get the last of their heralds I've been hunting for. That was a nice feeling.

I've had many respected collectors chuckle and shake their head at my interest in them. One told me any card with Wheeler and Woolsey in it is a "dead card" which made me laugh.  In the early days a few dealers made some extra money on my naivete. Live and learn like all collectors. Still I very much enjoy my collection and, like everyone else, look forward to the next piece that will unexpectedly turn up.

Glenn, I know you know the fellow with the collection of Bogart lobby cards, who is SO close to finishing it.

The last few years he has been adding a card or two per YEAR.

Has it been like that for you with W & W?

Also, if you make a list of the cards you need (how many from each title, and if you need the TC), that might help find you more.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Bruce - I've met John.  I sold him some Chaney cards about 10 years ago.  I think he needs 2 Bogarts. One of which is known to exist and the other no one knows.

I've been doing the same. Adding a card here or there.  The Everett/Profiles auction was a big help in filling in alot of holes.  3 cards from Hold 'Em Jail were in a lot of sports lobbies. I had to pass on that one to get 3 lots that were just Wheeler and Woolsey.

I'll take your advice and post a list later today.
    Great stuff Glenn, without a doubt a story that most collectors can relate to.
    David
    I know it probably doesn't help not to see the cards but here is a list of what I'm looking for as relating to Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey. 

I know a number of these cards do exist as they have appeared in auctions.

Cockeyed Cavaliers (1934)    1 scene card
    Cracked Nuts (1931)              TC + 1 scene card
    Diplomaniacs (1933)              2 scene cards
    Girl Crazy (1932)                    2 scene cards
    Hips, Hips, Hooray (1934)      1 scene card
    Hold 'Em Jail (1932)                TC + 2 scene cards
    Hook, Line and Sinker (1930) TC + 2 scene cards
    Kentucky Kernels (1934)         TC
    Nitwits, The (1935)                 1 scene card
    Rainmakers, The (1935)          1 scene card
    Rio Rita (1929)                        TC + 3 scene cards
    So This Is Africa (1933)           6 scene cards

Everything's Rosie (1931)         SET
    Cowboy Quarterback (1939)    2 scene cards
    Las Vegas Nights (1941)          1 scene card
    Brown Derby, The (1926)         TC + 4 scene cards

Glenn

edited April 2016
    Cool avatar of the team.
    Lawrence
    Glenn there is a very old Signet paperback book written by Leonard Maltin titled Movie Comedy Teams which includes a section on Wheeler and Woolsey. If you haven't seen it yet it would probably be worth you while to track down a copy.
    Lawrence
    Hondo -

That's a great vintage still I found on eBay of a Hirschfeld rendering of the boys.  I was lucky on that one. I'd been looking for a while for it.

I'm quite familiar with the Maltin book.  I think that's what may have inspired Ed Watz to write his.

Got the last card I needed for Las Vegas Nights!  Another Bert Wheeler set completed!

If anyone has cards on THE COWBOY QUARTERBACK or the silent Johnny Hines picture, THE BROWN DERBY please let me know!

Thanks,

Glenn
    Congrats Glenn! Now show us the card!
    David
    edited July 2016
    I can't believe how long it took me to find this card.  And unless you collect barn animals it would be considered a dead card!

(Looks like I'm having trouble uploading the image.  Will try again later.)
    Post edited by BertnBob on
    Always great to be able to tick another one off!  Congratulations!
    David - Control V worked over cut and paste!  Here's the image for all those who wanted to see what the card looked like. I can't imagine, outside of the "Francis" movies, how many lobby cards feature a mule!
    I can't imagine, outside of the "Francis" movies, how many lobby cards feature a mule!
    You are absolutely right, Glenn, but here are a few you can add to your "non-Francis mule showed lobby card collection"!

Here's one:

"crowd watching men racing in homemade mule chariots!"

Here's another:

The ads for this movie credited "Bernard Bolden and his white mule, Uncle Sam right after Tom Mix and Tony!

Here's another:

Stan Laurel leads mule dragging Oliver Hardy wearing a towel!

Finally, there is this modern one:

the team mascot mule becomes their field goal kicker

Hilarious images! Love them.  But I'm too old now to start another sub-genre! ;)  I have to stick to Wheeler and Woolsey!

Thanks for sharing!

Glenn
    edited August 2016
    BertnBob said:

But I'm too old now to start another sub-genre! ;) 

We all are, and yet we do.  ;)  And yet no one has suggested the obvious?

Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)
    Shrek I, II, or III

David
    I thought Shrek was a donkey?
    edited August 2016
    Bruce said:
    I thought Shrek was a donkey?

Since you are splittin' ass hairs...no, Shrek is an Ogre. ;)
    Post edited by David on
    David
    I don't think it would be splitting hairs to the donkey, because mules are almost always sterile.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/08/difference-between-a-donkey-and-a-mule/

Probably a mule point overall
    David
    Let us not forget, probably the best of all is to view is on Google, in all the many various poster sizes available,  Brighty Of The Grand Canyon ( 1967 ).
    Lawrence