Skip to content

Jedda

edited June 2015 in The 50s

The first poster is a rare re-issue one sheet poster that has been advertised in the past  as  an original 1955 poster when in fact it is a re-issue one sheet poster from the very late 1950's. The second one sheet  poster is from the original release in Australia in 1955  by Columbia Pictures. IFD ceased operating around late 1959.

imageimage

Hondo

Comments

• I think Rick has the original release daybill.  Don't recall ever seeing an Aussie one sheet
  • Ves will love this.!
  • I'll take the RR anytime
  • Yes, Rick does have the original one sheet. Fantastic poster.
  • Dammit...at work and can't see pictures!
  • Here's then original daybill and a re-imagerelease.
  • The daybill unlike the one sheet which is late 1950's is 1960's or even 1970's. I will research some more but at first sighting I know it isn't from the late 1950's release where the one sheet originated from.

Hondo

• Yep, ugly, but I still really really want em.

What is that full colour Jedda daybill?  that paper looks glossy to me?

• Yep, ugly, but I still really really want em.

What is that full colour Jedda daybill?  that paper looks glossy to me?

That's just the 'gevacolor' printing process Ves ;)
  • edited June 2015
    The colour daybill came from a collection of mostly 50s daybills. I've never seen another style, apart from the red and black. Another Jedda daybill from the collection sold for more than $1000 on eBay. 
  • Rick said:
    The colour daybill came from a collection of mostly 50s daybills. I've never seen another style, apart from the red and black. Another Jedda daybill from the collection sold for more than $1000 on eBay. 
    That seller had some great gear and and top nick condition...found in a tin box!
  • She did, and i was happy to pay a good price for this one.
  • The original colour daybill in question was printed by Colorcraft in 1955. The only other examples of daybill posters printed by Colorcraft I have found are for Reluctant Heroes released in Australia in 1954 and Lease Of Life in 1955. The lease of life Australian one sheet was printed by W.E. Smith.

Hondo

• Original 1955 Columbia Pictures daybill printer's details.

Hondo

• thanks Hondo
  • Rick said:
    Here's then original daybill and a re-imagerelease.

Rick your above re-release daybill is the only United Cinema Regent Release daybill with these printers credits on them that I have ever seen.It is a mystery to me. Any chance you can fill me in as to the date and where you acquired this poster? I don't like puzzles regarding posters that I can't solve or at least have a reasonable idea about when the poster was printed.

Hondo

• Here is another Jedda daybill ...

• I can date this latest one to being 1950's. Has the original distributor Columbia Pictures information printed on it The film proved to be successful and I believe extra daybill posters were required so the quickest printer in town ( and the worst ) was hired for a second printing run.

Hondo

• I think I won the re-release on eBay, can't really remember that one which paled into insignificance when i got the colour version (a bit like endless summer!)
  • edited June 2015

The United Cinema Regent Release company is a mystery. I know about Regent Film Distributors, RFD, Regent Trading Enterprises & CEMP Regent but not anything about United Cinema Regent before so it makes dating this poster difficult except to say it is pre 1972 due to the censorship rating of For General Exhibition.

Hondo

• The three Columbia pictures posters that have images previously posted on this thread are from the original Australian release which took place in 1955 but appears to have only been for a couple of years in duration. The last record I could find of Jedda being screened from this release is in 1957 at Bourke, N.S.W. & at the Starlight Drive-In in Canberra, A.C.T. also in 1957

From a 1974 cinema advertisement of Jedda it states " Has not been seen on Australian cinema screens in colour since it's original release in 1955.The Gevacolor it was filmed in had a problem and  sometime after the film was completed and released it was found to have faded from aging. The colour was restored in 1972. The restored colour version was screened in Canberra at the Boulevard Blue cinema supported by Forty Thousand Horsemen from the 19th of September, 1974 and advertised ''for a strictly limited season only''.

Now we have established these facts what of the two other Australian posters?

Firstly the duotone one sheet. IFD ( Independent Film Distributors ) the distributor ceased trading in around 1959 / 1960. No screenings found of Jedda after 1957 and before 1974 but obviously there must have been some limited screenings somewhere in Australia. Any screenings  of Jedda for the IFD release would have had to happen between 1958 and 1960. You will see there is no mention of Gevacolor or any colour at all on the poster. I am suggesting the film had to now be screened in black and white due to the fading of the colour process. The film would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to sell to theatre owners and  the general public in black and white and making things worse so soon after the successful original release in colour. The reason the film would have ended up with IFD is possibly Columbia could not distribute the fading colour print anymore. The original IFD trailer is in black and white. Just Google Jedda trailer to view it.

Now this only leaves the difficult one. Why did you post it Rick as it makes it hard to solve?

This daybill poster is a complete mystery. Has to have been printed most likely late 1960's or in 1970 or early 1971. The poster states in Gevacolor which is impossible due to what earlier has been stated. United Cinema Regent is an unknown to me film distributor but there is a connection between them and IFD which I will share with you later on a new thread on Independent Film Distributors.  

It may some time but I hope to gain access to two rare Charles Chauvell poster related photographs and I will post on VMPF if I can obtain permission to do so.

Hondo

•  Ta da...off to bed now, but I am scared to read in the morning now! :s

• Thanks Ves - what size is this poster ?
  • Er....?
  • Yes a quad...I didn't post the title or size on the other thread until after I posted here...I forgot...I am getting old.
  • Paul said:
    Er....?

My query was because the film was originally released in the U.K. as Jedda The Uncivilised along with the Independent Film Distributors name on the poster. More detailed information to follow on this poster.
  • edited November 2015
    All information I have found on Google and other sources indicates Jedda was released as Jedda The Uncivilised in the U. K. by John and James Woolf's companies Romulus films / Independent film Distributors through British Lion Films. Jedda was also acquired in a black and white version by the Australian independent distributor Independent Film Distributors ( IFD ) in the late 1950s. Not sure if it was ever released by IFD in Australia as they ceased operating around that time and it would have been hard to sell in black and white as the Columbia release colour version would still be fresh in people's minds. You will find an image at the top of this thread of a one sheet Australian IFD poster.  It was confusing to see a U.K. poster with only Jedda and not Jedda The Uncivilised printed on it along with the Independent Film Distributor name on it . For some unknown reason the quad was printed solely as Jedda and we will most likely never know why. If you Google Jedda you will find a number of U.K. Front of House Lobby Cards with  Jedda The Uncivilised printed on them.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
  • Hmmm, thanks for the info.  Interesting and insightful as always.

Also have this Spanish poster for the film, which only refers to it as Jedda, though it is possible it is a later re-release...though can't imagine why...

• Rick said:
    Here's then original daybill and a re-imagerelease.
    New to the forum, I know this as an old post but it was relevant to my question.  I have an opportunity to purchase the Jedda daybill on the left (red & black). I'm not a movie poster collector but I have a library of aboriginal books and I thought this would go well with it.  What would be a fair price to offer?