Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Ebay best offers

MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,147 admin

I hate selling on Ebay. Especially when I set a Best Offer option.

So no more.

To those that offer less than 50% of the BIN price.

FO!

Comments

• PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    You know you can set a limit, where if the bid is less than what you set, it auto-rejects them..

It's more than a Hobby...
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I think it is best to set a firm price. You still get offers but they are usually reasonable.
    John

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    I feel your pain.   The other day I had the question from someone in the US. ..why do you charge so much for shipping?  I charge a flat rate of 35 to cover most of the cost.   As you guys know it is usually more.  My reply, because international shipping is expensive.  

And anyone who makes a less than 50% offer I just flat out reject.   No negotiations. 
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,246 admin
    Honestly, what's it with Americans thinking it is so cheap to ship from other countries to theirs? It costs almost exactly the same to ship from their county to ours.

I'm like you Ves, flat rate. Take it or leave it.

I blame Bruce.  =) he has lured his fellow countrymen into a false sense of reality when it comes to shipping costs.
    David
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,338 admin
    Actually shipping from Australia is high compared to say Great Britain or Europe... I get free shipping from Japan sometimes...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Shipping can be free from anywhere, but expect to pay more the item. 
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Many people, including sellers, don't realise that ebay takes a commission out of postage. You have to factor that in otherwise you lose money on postage. Also, people think that you can just find cardboard and cut it up to size and whack it in an envelope. That might work if you send a couple of parcels a week but when you send a lot its not viable or professional. I get all my cardboard cut to size and that costs money.
    John

edited September 2016
    Charlie said:
    Actually shipping from Australia is high compared to say Great Britain or Europe... I get free shipping from Japan sometimes...
    Define 'high'. A poster tube to USA with tracking (converted to USD):

ex UK: $30 (Royal Mail)
    ex AU: $28 (my charge)

We're not talking subsidised shipping either.
    David
    Yeah, what John says...

Once the parcel weight hits over 500g,  the cost to ship leaps.
    We can all ship for much less, but don't complain  when the parcel arrives destroyed cause you didn't want to pay for me to pack it properly...
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,338 admin
    I've not paid more that $20 from the UK for much.
    I'd say anything over $20 is high...  I don't know how you guys put up with it.

Ves did you get your package?
    Parcels from the US to Aus in my experience is usually around the 40 mark.
    Have had the odd time cheaper, usually more though.
    UK to Aus for me is usually around 10 to 20 pounds.

Charlie,  I did get it.  You didn't get my email? 
    Charlie said:
    I'd say anything over $20 is high...  I don't know how you guys put up with it.

Pay more than double that out of EMP.
    David
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I don't understand the point in listing 'make an offer' if you don't really want offers. Just last week I saw I daybill I kinda like d listed at $60 OBO, so I went in with $40, figuring we'd meet in the middle. The seller came back with $55! Seriously?? $5 off?? Sheesh - why bother?
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,147 admin
    The point is, the offer has to be reasonable not ridiculous. You went in with a reasonable offer not something like 20 bucks. 
    Matt said:
    The point is, the offer has to be reasonable not ridiculous. You went in with a reasonable offer not something like 20 bucks. 
    On the other hand sometimes if the eBayer has a pumped up price, is that low-ball offer unreasonable?
    David
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,147 admin
    David said:
    Matt said:
    On the other hand sometimes if the eBayer has a pumped up price, is that low-ball offer unreasonable?

Obviously, we'd have know the poster first before we discuss any further. 
    It was just a general comment rather than directed at anyone - as we know, some eBayers are 'enthusiastic' with their pricing
    David
    David said:
    Matt said:

Would you bother?  For example if someone had a Pretty Woman one sheet up for say 500 bucks, do you really think they would even entertain your offer of say $50?

If they have extremely inflated prices, I usually don't even try...tells me they over value it and are not very likely to let it go for much less.

Pancho said:
    I don't understand the point in listing 'make an offer' if you don't really want offers. Just last week I saw I daybill I kinda like d listed at $60 OBO, so I went in with $40, figuring we'd meet in the middle. The seller came back with $55! Seriously?? $5 off?? Sheesh - why bother?

What Matt said.

I'm always open to reasonable offers, especially when someone is interested in buying a few things...I'll generally accept less because it means less work for me on my end.

I use to do offers when I sold records. I always setup automatic reject.

Great  news!  Nope I can't even find it - internet must have swallowed it.
    David said:
    Matt said:

Would you bother?  For example if someone had a Pretty Woman one sheet up for say 500 bucks, do you really think they would even entertain your offer of say $50?

If they have extremely inflated prices, I usually don't even try...tells me they over value it and are not very likely to let it go for much less.

I don't/wouldn't bother - but not everyone is well versed in what the market prices are for this stuff and bottom line not everyone researches before they buy, specially on eBay where it strikes me that some people have the view 'if it's on eBay then it must be cheapest'.

That said, a $50 offer for a $500 priced item would be a cheeky offer, I mean $500 for a Pretty Woman 1SH seems reasonable...
    David
    Charlie said:

Great  news!  Nope I can't even find it - internet must have swallowed it.

Hmmm...there was a delay last week in me getting my email, but I assumed outbound was ok.  Will have to check if there are any other emails that have "disappeared".

Sorry about that!