Skip to content

The Animation Quiz

Image # 1 ( left ) & # 2 ( right ). Name the main film characters which are the boy ( #1 ) and the frog ( # 2 ). The first entries in a new quiz. Seeing animation is so popular I thought why not an animation quiz ? They will get easier but I thought the debut images should be challenging. Partial nudity in a pre code cartoon for those who haven't noticed in image # one. Both the lead characters had a series of cartoon shorts of their own.

Comments

• Geez, how do you keep up with them all... No offense.
  • I have no clue at all, but certainly enjoy animation. Nice thread, Lawrence!
  • edited September 2016

Flip the Frog and that is NOT Mickey Mouse but it was drawn by the same guy who drew the original Mortimer which went on to morph into Mickey

• David said:

Flip the Frog and that is NOT Mickey Mouse but it was drawn by the same guy who drew the original Mortimer which went on to morph into Mickey

Correct. Ubbe Eert ''ub'' Iwerks known as UB Iwerks had worked for Walt Disney and they had created together among others Mickey Mouse. Iwerks had a falling out with Walt Disney and he went his separate way and the Iwerks studio was opened in 1930 and MGM was on board to distribute their product.

Fiddlesticks ( 1930 ) was the first cartoon and the first Flip The Frog entry Iwerks produced on his own. Flip The Frog was filmed in two-strip technicolor. 

• Top image is of UB Iwerks working for Walt Disney in the late 1920's.

• edited September 2016
    Flip had a short lived career in acting, however he does make an appearance in 1985, albeit a clip from one of his early films, on The Muppets Baby song "We Love Cartoons" @1:20

•          The Flip The Frog cartoon series only ran from 1930 -1933, but they managed to produce some merchandise within this time and the above is only a small sample of what was originally out in the market place.
  •                                     Flip The Frog in Funny Face released in 1933 the final year of the series. Notice how he changed drastically in appearance in just three years from his first appeared on screen in 1930 in Fiddlesticks.
  •  # 3. An easy one surely ? Name the film title.
  • Likely Animal Farm
  • edited September 2016

Correct David. # 3 is Animal Farm which was released in 1954. The Halas and Bachelor adaptation of George Orwell's classic novel was Britain's second animated feature.

Note the "' You'll Have The Laughs Of Your Life!'' tagline on the bottom of the U.S. poster. I must have viewed a different  copy of this film, as hilarious it wasn't. Interestingly when the film was first released a lot of parents who took their small children along to see this film, thinking it would be a Walt Disney type film, complained about the contents after viewing the film. Does this poster indicate funny to you  ?

•  Image # 4. Name the full length animated feature title. 
  • Anime...not my bag I'm afraid. 
  • Image # 1 that is unsolved. Was that a giant of a question or not ?
  • Not sure, a Merry Melodies?
  • David said:
    Not sure, a Merry Melodies?

Sorry. but no. A giant clue was given.
  • Image # 4 clue is '' a first ".
  •  Image # 5. Name the full length animated film title this image comes from along with the character's title.
  •  # 6. Name the film title of this Walt Disney Silly Symphony short.
  • #6 Old Mill - an oldie but a goodie

• David said:
    #6 Old Mill - an oldie but a goodie

Correct of course. The Old Mill was originally released in 1937. Beautiful animation. I loved it when I screened it at a Film Society many years ago and just viewing David's posted film it still remains magnificent.
  •  # 7. One of my favourite Tex Avery MGM cartoons. Any ideas?
  • Would that there be Red Hot Riding Hood from 1943?
  • Brude said:
    Would that there be Red Hot Riding Hood from 1943?

So sorry to tell you it isn't Red Hot riding Hood but so incredibly close and I fully understand why you answered this way. So close but no prize. I am sure you will come up with the answer though.
  • edited September 2016

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    Sorry but no, but you on the right track as Ted though.This one has similar participants but produced later in the decade. '' Red '' and the wolf certainly got round.
  • HONDO said:
    Brude said:
    Would that there be Red Hot Riding Hood from 1943?

So sorry to tell you it isn't Red Hot riding Hood but so incredibly close and I fully understand why you answered this way. So close but no prize. I am sure you will come up with the answer though.

I would have said Red Hot Riding Hood too, So, then I searched...

• edited September 2016

To hopefully help you with the unsolved image # 1. The character and not necessarily the film.

• # 8. Name the short animated film title.

• HONDO said:

To hopefully help you with the unsolved image # 1. The character and not necessarily the film.

I recognize his as WILLIE WHOPPER.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com