Skip to content

Questions for Bruce-EMP

Hello Bruce-
Am I able to search your Auction History for "Bulk Lot" sales? 

Thanks. 

Comments

• Not directly.

But go to this page, http://www.emovieposter.com/sales/postersales.php, and be sure to go to the tab at the top that says "By date".

Then do "Control f" and type in "Bulk" and you will see that the last Bulk Lot auction "Ended Sunday, Aug 7th, 2016"

You can click on that link (reproduced above) and that shows you ALL those bulk lot auctions that ended that day.

You can then use the "Search Filters" at left to look at specific types, like one-sheets.

But you CAN'T search the bulk lots for specific titles, as you can with every other kind of auction.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Thanks Bruce! Will do. 
  • Hi Bruce,

From the numbers on your home page, on average each consignor has sent you over 630 items - is that right? I'm assuming that you have several really large consignors?
  • David said:
    Whoa! That does produce results!...
  • David said:
    I should have thought of that! Thanks David.

I wish that every bulk lot item was searchable, but the bulk lots are created in an entirely different way.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Pancho said:
    Hi Bruce,

From the numbers on your home page, on average each consignor has sent you over 630 items - is that right? I'm assuming that you have several really large consignors?
    That is correct. We have had around ten people who have driven TRUCKS filled with stuff.

Here's a funny story, from around twelve years ago:

One guy, a former theater owner on the East Coast, had saved all the one-sheets and lobby sets from everything he showed, but it was mostly from the late 1950s to the early 1970s. He had a chain of theaters, so he had bunches of each title.

He had shopped it around to several dealers, and all of them only wanted to pull out the best items, maybe 5% to 10% of what he had. Finally someone told him about us, and he called and I explained everything, and he agreed to do it.

A couple of weeks later, he called me. He said the trucking company had just left his house, with over 100 large boxes stuffed with posters and lobby cards. He said his wife then turned to him and said, "You just sent all that stuff to a guy you don't know who lives in the middle of nowhere. You will never hear from him again."

He said, "Please reassure me that my wife is wrong!"

I said, "If I were a crook, wouldn't I just tell you I am not? But you have nothing to worry about."

Over the next few years or so he took in around $250,000. I wonder if he ever reminded his wife about what she had said!

Incidentally, I originally started the Sunday auctions (our third set of weekly auctions) seven years ago, because we had just received two truckload consignments, and I knew it would take forever to auction them with just two sets of auctions a week.

I intended to keep that third auction for "a year or two", until we had eliminated the backlog of consignments. But because we have continued to get a massive number of new consignments over the past seven years (with at least one truckload a year), I have kept the Sunday auctions running.

But now, we have not had another truckload this year, and we are FINALLY close to getting completely "caught up" and if we don't get another massive consignment in the next few months, then we will likely end the Sunday auctions (but of course, we could possibly start them back up at a later date).

• Will someone please send a barge load of 40s-50s Aussie paper?  Thanks in advance!
  • Will someone please send a barge load of 40s-50s Aussie paper?  Thanks in advance!
    I can think of a couple of candidates to do just that! They wouldn't get the price they are hoping for, but they would get a world more than any dealer would offer.

And think how happy you guys would be, to see so much Aussie paper!

• Bruce said:
    Will someone please send a barge load of 40s-50s Aussie paper?  Thanks in advance!
    I can think of a couple of candidates to do just that! They wouldn't get the price they are hoping for, but they would get a world more than any dealer would offer.

And think how happy you guys would be, to see so much Aussie paper!
    Yes there is a pile, although I am not so sure they wouldn't get more out of a local dealer. What they would get is the money up front rather than drip fed over several years, they would know what they were getting rather in advance rather than the nervous Nelly wait for what an auction may or may not bring, (specially a no reserve auction), and the freight and insurance alone (within Australia rather than to the USA) alone would be significantly less too.
  • True or false?

• Too right mate it is true.
  • edited September 2016

Hey Bruce, I was wondering why, in your Auction History, you do not provide a "supersize" image of the poster, after the auction has concluded, or soon thereafter? And only provide a "large" size of the auctioned image.

I'm no webmaster, but does this have to do with image hosting capacities?

Thanks!

• Yes! I pay a fortune to host well over a million small and medium sized images. To also host another million super-sized images would cost a super-sized amount of money.

I have thought of uploading them and making them available for a small monthly fee, but don't know if there would be enough interest to offset the cost.

• Thanks Bruce, I thought this might be the case.

I search the site quite a bit; sometimes investigating the condition of past sold posters to compare condition with previous ones sold prior to bidding. Not having a supersize image hasn't stopped me from bidding yet, and overall, it's a great resource!

• Yep, I find the auction history database at emovieposter is extremely useful for various reasons (images, different styles, prices, artist info and poster information). I use it multiple times every week, so thank you Bruce, I really appreciate such a great resource. 
  • It is my "gift" to the hobby. What is funniest is how many of the "Hershenson haters" use it ALL the time!

• Tob said:
    Yep, I find the auction history database at emovieposter is extremely useful for various reasons (images, different styles, prices, artist info and poster information). I use it multiple times every week, so thank you Bruce, I really appreciate such a great resource. 
    Same here!
  • Bruce said:
    It is my "gift" to the hobby. What is funniest is how many of the "Hershenson haters" use it ALL the time!

Hershenson haters gonna hate, assholes are going to be assholes...  
  • Tob said:
    Yep, I find the auction history database at emovieposter is extremely useful for various reasons (images, different styles, prices, artist info and poster information). I use it multiple times every week, so thank you Bruce, I really appreciate such a great resource. 

A great resource for my research. Couldn't do without it.
  • Thanks much guys! You would not believe how much time and money is spent on improving it. We keep researching movies and posters, and make corrections and additions ALL the time, which is why we send so many of those "we sold you X poster X years ago, and found out it is an unmarked re-release, so we are offering you a full refund, including shipping" emails!

The biggest help are the many hundreds of people who let us know the most obscure info, and then we get it corrected. NO correction is too trivial for us, so if you see the slightest error, let us know.

• I hope you stick around the industry for many many years to come Bruce!
  • Hi Bruce,

I'm curious as to whether you have an idea of which styles of posters are more popular from a bidding point of view? For example, do UK quads see more bids than a US Half Sheet? 
  • Do you mean which sizes are most collected? If so it is U.S. one-sheets by a wide margin. If you mean which sizes have the most dedicated collectors, it really is all sizes, but only when some real rarity shows up.  If you mean something else, please explain.

• Sven said:
    I hope you stick around the industry for many many years to come Bruce!

I heartily agree with that.
  • Hear hear.....!
  • I think eMovieposter is one of the best auction sites available, you have a perfect opportunity to view super sized images of what you are bidding on, that shows all imperfections, communication is great and packaging superb.  The only criticism I have is there is far too much choice and costing me a fortune.
  • Thanks Ryan1! I know that we offer so much for every collector that we overwhelm the budget of all but the wealthiest of them. I think the answer is to become philosophical, and accept that you will "win some and lose some", and try not to get caught in the grip of auction fever, and bid "too much".

The key is guessing which items you likely won't see again anytime soon, and make an extra effort on those, but let ones go if they are the type that likely will return regularly (and have gone past the price you think "sensible").

• Greetings Bruce. I have a question about your grading. I've noticed that some posters may be graded good, and not have a detailed description, except for the bold lettering, "this item may have fairly significant defects".     While other posters graded good, have detailed descriptions of the defects.

Question: What determines if you write a detailed description? Is it the nature of the defects? The severity? If they can be seen or not seen? A possible higher selling price? Time needed to post an set to be auctioned?

Just curious, thanks for your time.

Mark

• Here is the thing. If I had the time, we would write detailed condition descriptions of EVERY item.

But with 3,000 items a week, that's not possible. So we have to make choices.

One way, as I am sure you have noticed, is to use saved "stock" phrases, like "there are pinholes around the edges". We don't locate WHERE the pinholes are, because that would take forever!

What we DON'T do is something lots of auctions do, which I personally hate, which is to try to create a "one description fits all" phrase, like "this item may have pinholes or tape stains or tears or paper loss". That tells you nothing.

You ask when we write words and when we don't. Our general rule is that, on moderate to low priced items, to NOT use words if the defects are clearly visible in our super-sized images. On more expensive items we DO try to describe even those in words.

On REALLY low priced items we often don't use any words at all, because if we had to spend lots of time on them, we could no longer afford to auction them.

I am sure you noticed that we are the only auction that provides images of the fronts and backs of EVERY individual lobby card and still we auction. I would like to expand that to some other sizes, but it gets complicated and time-consuming!

Bruce