Skip to content

Rare Australian Posters Of Australian Films

# 1.Typhoon Treasure ( 1938 ). First of a series of rare Australian  printed posters of films that were made in Australia. A daybill of unknown length. Note no blank white section at the  top of the  poster. I am sure the poster is from the original and only release in Australia in 1938 and the top of the poster has been trimmed. Only image I have ever seen of this title.

Comments

• 1b. Some nice additional Typhoon Treasure paper.
  • edited September 2016
    1b is from an Australian Film Weekly trade magazine. Some of the centerfolds from those magazines are as good as any posters and very much underrated.
  • # 2. The Power And The Glory ( 1941 ). Banned in 1941 briefly on violence grounds. Considered as being unsuitable for children ( Suitable Only For Adults ).Subsequently appealed and successfully overturned and awarded the For General Exhibition rating. Re-released in Australia in 1950 with the new title of The Invaders. The above is the best I could do with paper images and nothing at all found for The Invaders.
  • edited September 2016

The Phantom Stockman ( 1953 ). Rare Australian daybill. Chips Rafferty appears a little too big for the horse, but otherwise a nice poster.

• Another great daybill.
  •           # 4. Into The Straight ( 1949 ). Only colour advertising material I could locate as no posters could be located. Released by Universal International in Australia. The running of the Melbourne Cup features in this film.
  • HONDO said:
              # 4. Into The Straight ( 1949 ). Only colour advertising material I could locate as no posters could be located. Released by Universal International in Australia. The running of the Melbourne Cup features in this film.
    I have three full colour Australian lobby cards for Into the Straight. You must have missed seeing those!
  • John said:
    HONDO said:
              # 4. Into The Straight ( 1949 ). Only colour advertising material I could locate as no posters could be located. Released by Universal International in Australia. The running of the Melbourne Cup features in this film.
    I have three full colour Australian lobby cards for Into the Straight. You must have missed seeing those!

I did miss seeing them John so thanks for letting me know they exist. Found this additional card on Google that I didn't see on your website at first look. The image is credited as being yours and an item it appears sold. It is also the scene card I like the best of the four. You mention on your website ''Exceptionally Rare'', which is indeed the case with this film title.
  • HONDO said:
    John said:
    HONDO said:

I did miss seeing them John so thanks for letting me know they exist. Found this additional card on Google that I didn't see on your website at first look. The image is credited as being yours and an item it appears sold. It is also the scene card I like the best of the four. You mention on your website ''Exceptionally Rare'', which is indeed the case with this film title.
    Yes, I sold that one some time ago. Strange how material on this film is so scarce.
  •                                                                                                         # 5. Cavalcade Of Australian Sport (  ? ). A real mystery documentary with nothing found regarding any details in any form regarding credits of this film. This Australian one sheet is the one and only non newspaper advertising paper I have ever seen. After researching this poster I found it was printed for the double bill release in 1947 in Australia with a re-release of an American ''B''  sporting fictional film starring famous real life boxer Billy Conn that was originally released in Australia in 1941. 
  •  # 6. Wings Of Destiny ( 1940 ). Very nice daybill poster of a film that had only a limited release in Australia. 
  •  # 7. The Broken Melody ( 1937 ). Rare one sheet.
  • Yeah, I want that one!
  • Coming soon are two of the rarest films that were sparingly released in Australia, where only one piece of advertising of any description including newspaper advertisements, has been located by me.   
  • Newspaper Clippings from 4-11-1944  & 13-1-1944.

# 8. A Yank In Australia ( 1942 ) ( top image ). No Australian film distributor found. It was given the World premiere in the City Hall Brisbane on the 11th Of November, 1944. There were few other Australian screenings. Surprisingly there was a limited release in the U.K. in early 1945 followed by limited screenings in the U.S.A. in New York. Be sure to read the scathing review above. This is the one and only poster of any description located.

# 9. Night Club ( 1952 ) ( above ). Ray Films was the Australian film distributor. It had a very limited release, a few screenings only. By all accounts a very poorly made film. Again as in the case of A Yank In Australia the above image is of the one and only poster of any description located. 

•  # 10. The Kangaroo Kid ( 1950 ). Although American paper on this title is fairly easily obtained this nice Australian daybill is rare.
  • I want one so badly!
  • # 11. The Rats Of Tobruk ( 1944 ). Beautiful rare daybill poster..
  • Yeah that is fantastic...maybe one day if I am really good Santa will deliver...
  • Thanks to Mark for a bunch of clippings...these in particular of interest to me...would love to see actual poster images:

Art by Walter Jardine:

Art by Julian Rose:

"Z" on the border, all I can think is Zeck? 

• Yeah Rats, was the underbidder....
  • Very nice examples of Australian artists, presumably trade ads. Where did they come from?
  •                                                    # # 12 ( a ). It Isn't Done ( 1937 ) daybill.      # 12 ( b ). It Isn't Done ( 1937 ) one sheet.

Both very desirable Australian film posters of this title.

• I had the above sitting in drafts so I thought I had better download the posters so shortly I can respond to the entry from  Ves.
  •  # 13. Orphan Of The Wildeness ( 1936 ). No posters sighted but this is nice.
  •  # 14. Thoroughbred ( 1936 ). No posters sighted and this is the best paper available from the original release.
  •  For Ves - no posters or any advertising sighted by me in any form whatsoever printed in colour for Uncivilised ( 1937 ). I will post some nice rare U.S. advertising material after The Blonde Captive discussion has run it's course.
  • Nice John. No censorship classification. Is this an Australian one sheet ?