Skip to content

Where Are These Daybills?

Comments

• edited August 2016
    David said:
    The films weren't that long ago, Roadshow distributed Disturbing Behavior (1998), New Nightmare (1994), and Scream 2 (1997) - how can we be so sure Daybill were printed?

For The Hitcher from 1986 I am certain there would have been a daybill printed. The others we can't be certain of until proof in the form of a images turn up for them. As I previously mentioned I believe most, if not all, of the titles, being from the 1990's, would have had daybills printed for, but this is solely my opinion. The daybill image posted above of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer is from 1997, so we know minor titles were still being printed in daybill format around this time.
  • HONDO said:
    David said:
    The films weren't that long ago, Roadshow distributed Disturbing Behavior (1998), New Nightmare (1994), and Scream 2 (1997) - how can we be so sure Daybill were printed?

For The Hitcher from 1986 I am certain there would have been a daybill printed. The others, apart from I Still Know What You Did Last Summer ( 1997 ) which a daybill image, see above, exists for, we can't be certain of until proof in the form of a images turn up for them. As I previously mentioned I believe most, if not all, of the titles, being from the 1990's, would have had daybills printed for, but this is solely my opinion.

So what you are saying is you are actually certain you can't be sure.
  • David said:
    HONDO said:
    David said:

For The Hitcher from 1986 I am certain there would have been a daybill printed. The others, apart from I Still Know What You Did Last Summer ( 1997 ) which a daybill image, see above, exists for, we can't be 100% sure of until proof in the form of  images turn up for them. As I previously mentioned I believe most, if not all, of the titles, being from the 1990's, would have had daybills printed for, but this is solely my opinion.

So what you are saying is you are actually certain you can't be sure.

I have now added the additional word ''100%'' and changed the word ''certain'' to ''sure'' to my original statement, to clarify what I was trying to say.

I am sure in my mind at least that what I previously said is most likely correct, and I did say '' but this is solely my opinion''.

If and when images turn up for any of the missing titles I will add them to this thread and I would appreciate other members doing the same.

One last thing is Ves had mentioned that she had thought see had previously seen a daybill image of Copy Cat. I have a feeling I have also.

• No disrespect intended but saying you are 100% certain/sure is misleading. I am sure Bruce doesn't change the date on his posters because you are 100% sure, he requires irrefutable proof or circumstantial evidence that places it beyond reasonable doubt.
  • David said:
    No disrespect intended but saying you are 100% certain/sure is misleading. I am sure Bruce doesn't change the date on his posters because you are 100% sure, he requires irrefutable proof or circumstantial evidence that places it beyond reasonable doubt.

Am I asking for anything to be changed ? I'm wondering what Bruce has to do with what I had commented on this thread ? Your question was ''How can we be so sure daybills were printed ?''. We can't but I am basing my opinion only on decades of research, and I firmly believe what I said to be accurate. I am not saying it is definitely 100% true and proved but in my opinion only it is what I believe.
  • I'm a 100% certain I'm drinking one of the best Cabernets in a long time!... ;)
  • Is this a possibility ? Do to the decreasing demand for daybills in the 1990's fewer numbers of them were printed, explaining the scarcity of them now in the market [place.

• It may well be that in time to come the 90s & early 00s will prove to be a strong market for collectors. Daybills for films like End of Days, Stir of Echoes, Freddy vs. Jason, Scream, Urban Legend 1 & 2, American Psycho and The Sixth Sense may end up being far more desirable than their age would suggest.
  • Pancho said:
    It may well be that in time to come the 90s & early 00s will prove to be a strong market for collectors. 

I think there is absolutely no doubt about that, collector movie posters is very generational; the movies we saw/loved as a teen are generally the posters we enjoy buying (for nostalgic reasons) when we have reached an age and income that allows us to reminisce. 

I am sure many sellers here will attest to the rise in popularity of posters from the 80s (those buyers are now hitting their 40s and generally have a disposable income).

All that said, not all buy a poster then kick on to become a collector.
  •  Unconquered ( 1947 ). As mentioned on my Famous Director's quiz thread I would love to see the Australian daybill of this film. I am sure the Richardson daybill will have great images on it.
  • I knew I had seen it, but didn't get a chance until now to check, no not mine:

Unconquered Aussie Daybill

• Brilliant. Thanks Ves.
  •   X-15 I originally listed as a film never sighted in daybill form. This image is a nice U.S. insert which makes me curious as to what the daybill would look like ? Judging by the standard of most United Artists daybills around 1961 that I have sighted, which is the majority, I don't hold out high hopes it will be good. Sure no one has this in daybill form to share ?
  • Nine Hours to Rama daybill
  • Another rare daybill accounted for, with the image being sourced from New Zealand. Thanks for the Image Ves.
  • HONDO said:
      X-15 I originally listed as a film never sighted in daybill form. This image is a nice U.S. insert which makes me curious as to what the daybill would look like ? Judging by the standard of most United Artists daybills around 1961 that I have sighted, which is the majority, I don't hold out high hopes it will be good. Sure no one has this in daybill form to share ?

Not too bad. Suppose it could have been worse.

•  For the record the original release Some Came Running daybill supplied and displayed by Ves earlier on the Never So Few Australian daybill thread. We are surely and slowly whittling down the missing images of all the titles I had listed earlier in this thread.
  • Sven said:

Not too bad. Suppose it could have been worse.

Thanks Sven. Yes, the Advertising And Commercial  X-15 image is a lot better than I had anticipated it would be,
  • An Affair to Remember

Looks like William Holden rather than Cary Grant!

• Thanks Sven for the image. I have been looking for it for many decades. Another one to cross off the wanted list.
  •  Thanks to Ves for finding this original Never So Few daybill displayed on the Never So Few Australian Daybill thread previously. Thought it about time I tidied up this thread and I am currently in the process of updating it, so more soon.
  • Nine Hours to Rama daybill
    It has vanished Ves.
  • oh no

let me see if I snagged a copy of the image on my pc.

• edited January 2017

Sorry I cannot credit anyone with this image as I am unaware now where I sourced it from. An almost unrecognisable Debra Paget. Many questions arise here about this poster. Is it a original daybill, a reproduction or a 3 sheet. An original daybill I am almost certain would have had W.E. Smith appearing on it. Any thoughts?
  • Nine Hours To Rama daybill

Sorry 'bout that

• edited January 2017

Was looking over your list and realised Rat Race was on there.

Here you go...(sorry image was a bit big last time!)

• Thanks and no problems Ves.
  • Before I get down to compiling a more compact updated list of remaining wanted daybill images from the 1950's and the 1960's, a few facts about this thread.

Excluding Pancho's query regarding some film titles from the 1980's and 1990's, a total of 54 titles consisting of 52 from the 1950's & 1960's, one from very late 1949 ( White Heat )  and one from 1942 that David mentioned ( I Married an Angel ) were listed. I am pleased to mention the recovery rate to date has been almost 39 % ( 21 films in all ).Thank you to the members, and you know who you are, that have contributed with supplying images.

My new list soon will hopefully help recover some more of the missing titles, which is only a small number of the total of missing daybill titles. I will not add any new titles to the list until we can locate a total of 50% of the missing titles, as we have enough to remember.

A plea to our Elvis collectors regarding my earlier query regarding the Love Me Tender image.

• It has been most enjoyable for me too, not only to help find them (the hunt was fun!) but I have really enjoyed looking at them, especially the ones I'd never seen before.

I'll admit it, I will to watch :)

• It has been most enjoyable for me too, not only to help find them (the hunt was fun!) but I have really enjoyed looking at them, especially the ones I'd never seen before.

I'll admit it, I will to watch :)

Sounds as if you are having as much fun as I have in researching and presenting the thread.