Skip to content

What Wasn't To Be In Film History

Comments

• ops, I forgot.

I will check today...sorry. :(

• Quiet Man Daybill...

• edited August 2016
     I have always liked Billie Burke as Glinda the Good witch in The Wizard Of Oz, but other actresses were considered for the role as well. It appears from a New York Post article that Helen Gilbert, who is pictured above, had been cast for the role until MGM bosses discovered shortly after that the young MGM contract player had a fling with Howard Hughes. Boy did this man get around Hollywood. Helen Gilbert was suspended, and the studio that had been building her up as a leading lady, allowed the contract to lapse after 1940. Her Hollywood career after that never amounted to much and ended up marrying six times, including one brief marriage to gangster Johnny Stompanato.  Stompanato is probably best remembered as being stabbed to death by Lana Turner's daughter Cheryl Crane in 1958. Thank goodness Billie Burke got to play the role as she was fabulous in the film. Producer Alex Gordon had considered Gilbert for the title role in The She-Creature released in 1956, but the role eventually went to Marla English.
  • Thanks Ves for the daybill image of The Quiet Man. A rare poster and the first one I have seen. You mentioned Craig may have one as well. Are you aware of any others ?
  • The one I posted is Craig's.

It's the only one I have ever seen.

• Only one then. Lucky Craig.

• The one I posted is Craig's.

It's the only one I have ever seen.

Thanks Ves, gorgeous poster and as Lawrence says...lucky Craig....!
  • I just haven't had a chance to get to the poster to take a photo, similar to the US1SH whereas the Daybill is based on the insert.
  • David said:
    I just haven't had a chance to get to the poster to take a photo, similar to the US1SH whereas the Daybill is based on the insert.

Thank you for that information. I would really love to have an image of the poster though, but no pressure. Anytime you ever get an opportunity, whenever that may me, it would be most appreciated.
  • Yeah me too...just do it!. 

We all want to see it!  Share will ya!

• I've shaved since that was taken.
  • HONDO said:
    David said:
    I just haven't had a chance to get to the poster to take a photo, similar to the US1SH whereas the Daybill is based on the insert.

Thank you for that information. I would really love to have an image of the poster though, but no pressure. Anytime you ever get an opportunity, whenever that may me, it would be most appreciated.

Yeah me too...just do it!. 

Ves and I are hoping you still have on your to do list, to take a photo of your The Quiet Man Australian one sheet.
  • Ah, Buddy Epson.  My Grandmother's sister's husband's nephew.  Now there's a connection.  Never met the man.
  • jayn_j said:
     My Grandmother's sister's husband's nephew. 

So close - like being related to a ball of string.  =)
  • In 1933 after the success of the film Bird Of Paradise ( 1932 ) RKO Pictures tried to reunite the stars Delores Del Rio and Joel McCrea in Green Mansions. However, the project was postponed and finally was cancelled. A film version adapted from the W.H.Hudson novel was finally filmed with Audrey Hepburn and Anthony Perkins as the stars and was released by MGM in 1959.

•   In the summer of 1994 the epic film titled  Crusade,  to be directed by  Paul Verhoeven  and  to star Arnold Schwarzenegger, was weeks away from starting production when the film was cancelled due to the out of control budget. Pity, as I would have paid to see the film had it been made and released.
  • Hitchcock and Welles still to come.
  •  Heart Of Darkness was planned to be Orson Welles first film at RKO in 1939 with a 1940 release in mind.  As Welles was about to start shooting RKO cancelled the project stating the budget was too high. The beginning of many Orson Welles projects had were never completed. 
  •  Any ideas ?
  •  A second image from the same never completed film.
  •  After some under performing films at the box office for Universal, Alfred Hitchcock decided to do something different. Kaleidoscope ( aka Frenzy ) was the working title for a 1967 Alfred Hitchcock project. Developed as an original low budget neorealist film about a necrophiliac serial killer in New York. Hitchcock shot some footage without sound, reported to be four reels, using unknown actors. The name of the project alternated between Kaleidoscope and Frenzy. Screenplay, location, stills were also in place.

The heads at Universal felt strongly that the proposed film was too uncommercial and Hitchcock was persuaded to put the project to one side in favour of starting production on Topaz, which ended up being released in 1969. The title Frenzy would be used for Hitchcock's 1972 film also about a serial killer but this one based on the novel by Arthur La Bern titled Goodbye Piccadilly, Farewell Leicester Square, that had been written in 1966. Arthur La Bern was appalled by the Peter Shaffer / Hitchcock adaptation and the way the film turned out.

Of interest is that in 1967 the year that the intended  Hitchcock Kaleisoscope film was being planned a commercial comedy / crime film with the same name, starring Warren Beatty and Susannah York, had been released the year before in 1966.

From the two previously posted images one can see why Universal pulled the plug on Kaleidoscope.

• edited November 2016

Yeah me too...just do it!. 

The long awaited image from David through a second party ( me ). Nicer than the daybill I believe.

• It is lovely indeed. Thank you for sharing!

I like the artwork. It must be the only one which doesn't have the  image of Wayne pushing O' hara  around. 

This and the Argentinean poster are really nice. 

Ps.  I love this film with passion.  

• Incidentally...John Ford's Shooting Script for QM is up for grabs, at Bonhams.  

Wish i had enough funds to buy it. 
  • Generally speaking I can't stand JW, but I adore Maureen O'Hara.

This was on the telly a month or so ago and thought I would give it a go.

Really REALLY enjoyed it.  She is fabulous and I didn't mind him at all...sorry JW fans...

• Generally speaking I can't stand JW

:o 

;) 
  • I can understand why you don't like JW. I grew up watching his films. I think my granny had a crush on him...she was always watching his films... Lol...
  •                                   Australian actress Betty Bryant who had starred in the Australian film Forty Thousand Horsemen was filming Jungle Captive ( 1945 ) in the U.S.A. and either as it states above, she took ill on the set and / or from another source she was  removed from the film when Betty Bryant's personal Physician became a nuciance on the set during filming. She was replaced in the role of Ann Forrester by Amelita Ward. It would have been nice to have had an Australian actress to have appeared in a 1940's Universal horror film.