Skip to content

An important amateur linenbacking lesson and why Acrylic is the Devil...

A long long time ago in a place far far away...

I used to have time to work on posters...  

But first  - An important amateur linenbacking lesson for all you aspiring amateur linenbackers out there!

Just do your own stuff!  

If you want more detailed advice feel free to PM me...

Unfortunately, this poster was just a weekend away from being backed and ready for restoration.  It was a complete relining job taken off the original masa/duct but it was extremely difficult because whom ever restored the poster the first time soaked the folds and crossfolds in acrylic or tempura paint essentially gluing the already delicate folds to the masa.  Some of the paint can be worked away but after some time the paper just goes.   Too bad I couldn't find the time to finish it. All packed up and ready to be sent back to its angry owner.

Be kind, don't let your restorer use permanent mediums on your posters...

Mountain View

Acrylic in the folds...

Mountain View

Mountain View

You can really see it here...

Mountain View

Here are the mylars after the poster dried...

Mountain View

Mountain View

In comparison, here is a poster without a lot of fold work but even then, since the restorer used acrylics to touch up some of the border areas, the acrylics are very noticeable after the poster was cleaned and deacidified...  These light areas then darkened compared to the clean original paper.

Notice the dark spots - yep acrylic...

Pulpfixin is tired... Pulpfixin is done... 

Comments

• Hi Charlie,

<<An important amateur linen backing lesson for all you aspiring amateur linenbackers out there! Just do your own stuff!>>

Looking back a few years ago when you were getting in to this "thing. You had plenty of questions and I was trying to help as much as I could.

I do remember what I though was the most important advice.

Work on your own stuff for a few years before venturing out. As soon as you take on others, everything will change, everything!

Consequently, I just  de mounted a Dr. No damage in transit that had plenty of restoration and large sections air brushed.

It's a bitch, but it is doable. Takes a lot of nerve and back breaking work.

The images above looks crazy.

Best,
    dario.

PS: As far as air brush mediums. Someone just asked me. This was my answer.

<<All paper restorers use air brush mediums for work there is no other way to air brush. Doesn't matter, Me, Poster Mountain, Jamie and so on.

Impossible to get any result any other way. All those beautiful posters that you see restored selling well $$$$  at HA and Bruce. They all been restored this way should air brushing be warranted.

I blend air brush medium with High quality Synchromatic Transparent Analine Dyes ( water colors ) to mimic paper a bit closer. Not sure anyone else do that. It is nifty!>>

• Yep... It was the best advice you could have given me. Wish I would have acted on it.  

• actually, I would have preferred you just said "I don't think I can work on these 2 posters now Rich."

instead of screwing up one and destroying the other

that you actually thought you deserved remuneration for the work (work? hahahaha) is mind boggling

• Hi Rich...
  • Remuneration?
  • Mark... I took the opportunity Rich gave me to expirement with relining and asked for a poster for my time in return.  He didn't get the service he was expecting or that I promised.  I acted under the expectations of friendship, not business - he thought otherwise. I made a mistake taking the arrangement and lost money and time.  His already ruined posters got slightly more ruined.  I did everything he asked me to do, I apologized, I sent his posters back unfinished (as requested) and sent back the poster he sent me as payment.  I even offered to purchase the three posters from him, which he refused. It's his right to complain based on what he thought of the arrangement.  And I'm ok with that. 
  • Before this job, had you ever relined a poster before?
  • No, I had not done one that had been professionally restored with masa as the interleaving.  I had removed the fabric backing from a Lebanese Dirty Harry as the closest thing. The Silver River came off without incident.  The Hangman was covered in paint and it had soaked past the folds and into the masa.  Both of these posters could have been finished to my normal standards but I did not make them enough of a priority to get them done in a timely manner and lost credibility with Rich.