Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

Republic Serials

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

I have been researching Australian serial daybills. Have found many Universal and Columbia images but the interesting fact is no Republic Pictures daybills appear to have been  printed for Australian first release. Such a pity The only republic serial daybill I have located is an image of  a duotone daybill which I believe is a re-release poster for the 1949 serial King Of The Rocket Men .Great American paper on Republic serial posters in the marketplace so any serial collectors have to settle on collecting it and any other foreign countries that may have printed serial posters.Do we have any members who collect this type of material?_

Hondo

Lawrence

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Serials are JC territory
    Chris
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

A full colour King of the Rocketmen daybill would have been good to see but it looks like this one was the only daybill ever released ....

John

• DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,062 admin
    Indeed John, that would have been a real collector's favourite.

Not a collector of serials by choice, all I have in Aussie paper that I can think of is a AU1SH from 1938, Phantom Gold and I am not so sure it is a serial...
    David
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

The 1938 film Phantom Gold you mentioned David as to you being unsure if it is a serial poster or not isn't one. It is a 56 minute B western released by Columbia Pictures. I haven't seen the Australian one sheet but artwork on the U.S.poster images of this title on emovieposter.com are in the style that reminds one of a serial.  

Hondo

Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,062 admin
    Thanks. When I had looked up the movie I found it was from a series of eight, but the description did not suggest it was a serial, I wondered if it was due to its length.

The poster itself is based on/lifted from the US one but is in colour as opposed to the duotone of the US version.
    David
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
     Not a Republic Pictures serial, but a serial nevertheless from Columbia Pictures. No Australian posters found to date to my knowledge that I am aware of, so this title is rare as far as advertising material of any description goes. I was thinking members who are keen on serials may be interested in viewing this Australian newspaper classified advertisement from 1940.
    Lawrence