Skip to content

What Happened To The Australian Daybills?

Comments

•  Somewhere out there there has to be some nice Australian artwork For Meet John Doe ( 1941 ). The film was released in Australia in 1942 and appeared to run until 1945 here. No evidence of a re-release ever happening in Australia. I  have no evidence to back up the following, but I believe the daybill was either printed for the New Zealand release or it is a second printing for the Australian release. Seeing the two one sheets have limited screening dates on them and the appearance of the artwork is amateur the two posters surely would have had to have been created only for a particular cinema screenings.
  • Some information that was left off Black Dragons ( 1942 ) from earlier today. The film was also released in Australia in 1942. Another rare title to locate any Australian posters on and I have never sited any Australian paper in any form. The film would have been released by BEF and most likely printed by W.E.Smith.
  • King Of The Zombies ( 1941 ). Released in Australia in 1941. The rare Monogram titles keep rolling along. I have never sighted a daybill or any Australian posters in any size or format for this film. The film again would have been released by BEF with the printer most likely being W.E.Smith.
  • Thx lawrence. I see dr cyclops in the clip. Has anyone sighted or know if the long daybill exists?  Rumour has it at least  one does exist

•   The Soul Of A Monster ( 1944 ). Released in Australia circa 1945. A Columbia Picture this time. Again a rare title and I have never sighted an Australian daybill or any other Australian paper whatsoever. The daybill would have been most likely printed by W. E. Smith.
  • Sven said:
    Thx lawrence. I see dr cyclops in the clip. Has anyone sighted or know if the long daybill exists?  Rumour has it at least  one does exist

I have never sighted one so hopefully one will turn up one day for all to se..
  • The Soul of a Monster - Australian Daybill

•  U.S.A. poster.           The Walking Dead ( 1936 ). A Warner Brothers Picture. The two black and whiteadvertisements above were produced for the Australian release in 1936. No Australian posters of any description sighted by me. Another rarity that I am sure we would love to see any Australian produced posters for the 1936 release, particularly a long daybill.  

Thanks Ves. I like it.

WOW!
  • Great daybill!! *sigh* why are the pretty ones always so rare...
  • Rare creates desire.
  •  White Zombie ( 1932 ).

No Australian posters sighted by me. The long daybill produced for this film I think would have a strong chance of containing the image of Lugosi that appears on the original release U.S. herald, along with other U.S. material, and the Australian newspaper advertisemenst appearing above.

• I thought Chris has posted a photo of a cinema or the like with an image of the long daybill in it?

• Here...on the right
  •  Thanks for that. Just as I thought then, the Lugosi image at the top of the poster is the same image as appears on the U.S. herald and the newspaper advertising I posted earlier.
  • edited December 2016
    At the other end of the spectrum...Severin Films have just released 'The Killing of America' of Blu-Ray. I love this doco and used to regularly watch my old VHS. A quick search shows that a 35mm print was passed by the OFLC in 1983. I have seen an Aussie video poster and some (I think) Aussie / NZ lobby cards but never a daybill or one sheet.
  • edited December 2016
    Not sure why that image has Photo splashed all across it, here is an uncensored (and bigger) version (click to open in new window and then left click to zoom in)

• The Truth (Brisbane), Sunday 30 October 1932

• edited December 2016
    Talking of Zombies, anyone know what this went for a couple of years ago?

• edited December 2016
                                                   More Bela Lugosi. Night Of terror ( 1933 ). Another rare Bela Lugosi title with no Australian posters sighted. One would imagine the Australian paper would bear some resemblance to the Australian newspaper advertisement and the U.S. one sheet.
  • The Ghoul ( 1933 ). No Australian posters sighted to my knowledge. Screened in Australia in 1935 and two newspaper advertisements appear above that were placed for that Australian release.

• Oh that I would LOVE to see!
  •                 The Man They Could Not Hang ( 1939 ). Released in Australia in 1939 and the above newspaper advertisement placed for the original release in Australia. No Australian posters sighted for this film to my knowledge. The nice U.S. poster above makes one wonder what our posters may have looked like.

• I am 90% sure an Aussie one sheet for Man They Could Not Hang was listed on eBay for a very long time.  The seller may have been memphis777.  It looked basically just like the US poster pictured here - but, not having any foresight into this thread's eventual existence, I never saved a pic ;)
  • I concur with Chris.  I am sure I have seen an aussie one sheet SOMEWHERE, but like Chris...who the feck knew to keep a copy of the image!
  • I am 90% sure an Aussie one sheet for Man They Could Not Hang was listed on eBay for a very long time.  The seller may have been memphis777.  It looked basically just like the US poster pictured here - but, not having any foresight into this thread's eventual existence, I never saved a pic ;)

I concur with Chris.  I am sure I have seen an aussie one sheet SOMEWHERE, but like Chris...who the feck knew to keep a copy of the image!

Hopefully one day the image will turn up for us to see.

Another Karloff film title then a Lugosi to follow it. After that would you like to see obscure PRC, Monogram and other obscure poverty row titles or some classic film titles, such as in the genre of musicals and film noir ?

• Anything but musicals...nah, just joking.

OR AM I!

• Anything but musicals...nah, just joking.

OR AM I!

I concur!
  • edited January 2017

The Man With Nine Lives ( 1940 ). Released in Australia in 1940 and a nice newspaper advertisement appears above.  I have never sighted any Australian film posters of this title and from the images above it leads one to think the Australian artwork most likely would have been great.