Skip to content

Frankenstein (1931) 6 sheet printer test?

This just sold for US $1,259.00 on ebay. Image of the 6 sheet. Size is 10 3/4 x 15 3/4 inches.
Looks vintage, printed in cardstock. Printer's test? Modern reprint? Someone took a chance...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-Photo-Poster-Odd-Size-1931-Frankenstein-Very-Rare-Boris-Karloff-/232157433954?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=VIn9giX82K86Pgp7d4giaJ3%252FVdE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Comments

• Yeah saw that and it makes no sense at all.  Repro of Fishler's poster all the way...
  • Was a good quality image of the 6 sheet published somewhere?
  • Wonder why the Monster has no electrodes on the 6sht poster?  and this.
  • A zillion to one it is an aged repro.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Yeah my first though was reproduction too.  Just doesn't seem right for the time period.

These days, so many people can get decent quality images of stuff to print pretty much what they want.

• 110x75 said:
    Was a good quality image of the 6 sheet published somewhere?
    Oh yeah they are out there.  This one even has the same discolouration in the middle as seen in the eBay example:

Fishler's copy framed:

• The discoloration is a good clue leading to the item being a reproduction of Fishler's
  • About 2 years ago, an ebay seller had several same-size (or slightly smaller) reprints of the 6-sheet for sale. He had them printed himself and they were pretty expensive. I remember that he had a few and -- once sold -- he was not going to print any more.

I couldn't afford one at the time and they disappeared.
    I tried to locate that seller, who specialized in same-size reprints and nothing more but had no luck. I can't even remember his ebay name.

But I do remember they were less than half the price of that li'l pos that some idiot spent north of a grand on.
    What a fool.

• When Fishler's original eventually goes to auction, I believe it will surpass the Metropolis 3-sheet as the most valuable movie poster of all time.