Skip to content

Missing Australian Universal Horror Posters

There were FIve  Mummy films produced by Universal between 1932 and 1944. The titles were as follows.

The Mummy ( 1932 )

The Mummy's Hand ( 1940 )

The Mummy's Tomb ( 1942 ) daybill located

The Mummy's Ghost ( 1944 ) daybill and Australian one sheet located

The Mummy's Curse ( 1944 )

Australian daybill of The Mummy's Tomb and daybill and Australian one sheet of The Mummy's Ghost, as pictured at start of this thread, is all the Australian paper I could locate. U. S. poster artwork and Australian advertising from the original Australian release of the three remaining titles is the only indication of what any Australian paper may possibly look like. I just love the '' Frankenstein was a sissy compared with The Mummy's Hand'' quote appearing on the newspaper advertisement of The Mummy's Hand.

Something I have noticed is that The Mummy's Tomb daybill artwork is different from any U.S. poster artwork, including the U.S. insert where the Mummy is seen carrying the woman in his arms. The daybill artwork has separated the Mummy from holding the woman who is now shown lying on the ground and has the Mummy appearing in a threatening pose. What has now become abundantly clear  with the W.E.Smith poster artists is that they liked to use artwork on some of their horror titles  copied from earlier posters, eg The House Of Frankenstein ( 1944 ) discussed on the forum previously within the ''House Of Frankenstein Daybill Major Problems ... Plus Others'' thread. Note that The Mummy's Ghost produced two years after The Mummy's Tomb used the same Mummy image and also the same passed out woman image from The Mummy's Tomb.

Any other Australian poster images from any of the five titles would be most appreciated if one has any and would care to share. 

Comments

• I'm love this thread already
  • 110x75 said:
    I'm love this thread already
    Agreed! I'm no horror collector but love the artwork & history! The prices paid for these items are incredible!  
  • I wish I could post something awesome to this thread...alas not :(

Beautiful posters.

• 110x75 said:
    I'm love this thread already
    Learn some grammar, ignorant bastard!
  • Part 2 of Universal horror soon along with a Universal  mystery series.

• Oh yes! 
  • Love that Mummy's Hand insert.....actually they are all pretty sweet.
  • Mummy's Tomb daybill...just wow!
  •  There were six low- budget films made by Universal, which were released from 1943 to 1945, produced as being part of the Inner Sanctum Mystery series. The series was based on a popular radio program and all six films starred Lon Chaney. Although the series is often credited as being horror they are really mystery genre films. All the films were released in Australia classified as being Not Suitable For General Exhibition only.

The six films consisted of the following titles.

Calling Dr. Death  ( 1943 ) ( aka Under The Doctor's Spell in Australia )  Australian daybill located. The daybill with a more handsome looking Lon Chaney.

Weird Woman ( 1944 )

Dead Man's Eyes ( 1944 )

The Frozen Ghost ( 1945 )

Strange Confession ( 1945 )

Pillow Of Death ( 1945 )

Five of the six films with U.S images appearing above I have been unable to locate any Australian film posters in any size or format so if anyone has any images of the five or any other images apart from the daybill of Under The Doctor's Spell ( Calling Dr. Death ) seeing them would be appreciated.

• edited December 2016

Weird Woman Australian Daybill

• I thought I had seen Frozen Ghost but can't find the image anywhere so can't confirm 100%
  • Thank you for the Weird Woman daybill image Ves.

•  

The Captive Wild Woman Trilogy consisted of three films.

Captive Wild Woman ( 1943 ) Released in Australia in 1943. No Australian posters located. Newspaper advertisement shown above.

Jungle Woman ( 1944 ) An Australian daybill exists and the image appears just above.

The Jungle Captive ( 1945 ) This film was the only feature banned in Australian in 1945. No appeal lodged so no release every took place in Australia, therefore no Australian posters were ever printed.

Any Australian poster images of Captive Wild Women or Jungle Woman  ( apart from a daybill of course ) would be appreciated.

• Been busy with Christmas/New Year/bit of a holiday.

When I get some time will see if I have anything to add...

•  1934 film.  1941 film.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               The two films released in 1934 and 1941 were based on The Black Cat by Edgar Allen Poe. Both versions were released in Australia. The black and white Australian newspaper advertisements from both versions displayed here along  with original release U.S.A. posters. Similar U.S. DVD images are also displayed.  Between the different images it should enable us to conjure up in our minds what any Australian posters may have looked like, but more importantly, where are the Australian posters?

I have had this thread completed and sitting in drafts for ages. Seeing Ves has just opened a thread about The Black Cat it would appear the ideal time to present mine.

• No doubt under someone's floorboards.  Now get to digging you lazy sods!
  • Horror Island ( 1941 ). A popular film in Australia when first released. A U.S. first release double bill insert of Man Made Monster ( 1941 ) released with Horror Island above. Also above the Australian newspaper advertisement from 1941 showing that the same double bill also occurred in Australia in some bookings. Should be a nice looking daybill and hopefully one turns up soon. The possibility of one being a Marchant long daybill that looks anything like the beautiful Marchant 15'' X 40''  Man Made Monster daybill that exists is exciting.

• I know I have seen this daybill.  Let me go see what I can see.
  • Sorry, I got sidetracked...

• Nice. Thanks Ves. Do you by any chance know the poster size ? Looks like 13 x 30 to me.

• No sorry I don't know the size...
  • edited March 2017

I believe there is a strong possibility this could be a second printing daybill. No proof but certain facts lead me to think the original may have been a Marchant long daybill. I will get back here after I complete some more research. I cannot read the printer's credits on this poster, so any help to work out the name would be appreciated.

• I believe it is WE SMith
  • I believe it is WE SMith

Yes my thoughts as well.
  • edited March 2017

The Mummy's Hand Long Australian Daybill - sorry best image I could get:

• did that work?
  • did that work?

It did appear and thank you, but I nearly missed both your emails as instead of being elevated and appearing at the top of the page, the thread remains at 28th on the page instead of 3rd, under the two announcements.

• Oh, so it's not just me!  Couldn't find the thread either...had to go back in my browser to check.
    The gremlins must be at work tonight.  Hopefully things will be fixed in the morning.
  • Gremlins fixed?