Skip to content

EMP Weekly WTF????

Comments

• Didn't bid.
  • Big prices on a couple of daybills - Twisted Road (aka They Live by Night) US$350.00 and Phantom Empire US$420.00.

• Yeah, Twisted Road needed to be backed. Total cost with that in mind would out it around the AU$750 mark ...too much for this old codger.
  • No surprises there. Very rare daybills..
  • edited February 2016
    What david says below!
  • edited February 2016
    Each to their own.

If you want it and can afford then buy it because it'll make you happy.
    If you want it but can't afford it, then don't buy it, it'll make you sad.
    If you don't want it, then who gives a fuck.

Them thar are words of wisdom Cletus...
  • True unless of coarse if one snags posters cheaply from a under the floorboards find or something.. 
  • Yes, you've done well snagging those.
  • David said:
    Yes, you've done well snagging those.
    Unfortunately I haven't been lucky enough to snag a under the floorboard find or anything similar. Maybe one day I might get lucky Dave..
  • 3 Pinocchios came from under the floor did they not?
  • Yes. But I didn't snag them cheaply. The first copy I won in a open market auction on eBay. Then the seller offered me the other two copies, which by then they had a better knowledge of what they were worth. So in other words not the same thing as you mention. 
  • edited February 2016
    Oh I see - so why do you then assume/say that I snagged anything cheaply then? You don't know what I paid. 

I also pay it forward, I've donated to the National Film and Sound Archive, I given plenty of posters away to fellow collectors, in some cases paid the postage too, nor have I ever asked any thing from them in return. I pay what the seller and I negotiate - that makes it a fair transaction and it is rare to be the the only person being offered the collection but if I am then buggered if I am going to ask if they have offered it to someone else.

I've won some collections and I've lost some, that makes it on the open market.

So, the same thing.
  • Ahh Dave my earlier comment about getting lucky with floor board finds was not at all directed at you. It was just a generalization. Some collectors do get lucky and some just have to slug it out.. Either way happy days.
  • I have been offered quite a few "under floor coverings" collections but have never actually discovered one myself. Generally, people who find these collections do some research and they often want top retail dollar. They often end up trying to sell them on ebay. 

• ahh well, no one is going to like my next post...
  • I don't understand...surely in any collectors collecting life, you've picked up some gems for what are bargain basement prices...you've overpaid for some things because you were either new to the hobby or just had to have that piece then and there.  You've paid market value for some of your pieces.  What does it matter what someone else pays for something?  If you want it and the price is right, buy else...if not, move along.

Yeah it would be awesome if we could all get what we wanted for peanuts, awesome but unrealistic.  Especially when we all want to pay peanuts but demand gold when we sell...

And what lucky?  I haven't heard yet about any collector walking down the street and then being pulled into someone's house going, look what I just found under the floorboards?  Give me a buck and you can have 'em.

I am assuming David and John have been contacted as often as they have about these things because they've worked hard to get their online presence out there and known...so if someone finds something, they are more likely to go to them then one of us who can barely be bothered to check ebay once a week.  Last I checked there is no yellow pages of collectors...

I'm not having a go at anyone, it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet, but these kinds of arguments I find pointless. 

We all want what someone else has ey...like that fricken' Niven poster I am still waiting to see DAVID!

Typical man, promises promises promises, but delivers NOTHING!

Rant over, time for coffee...

• What David Niven poster...
  • They had these (about 10 of them) at the used book store brand new (surplus) here in Houston for $9.99 and I passed...  Sold for $131.   Maybe I need to go back and see if they are still there.  It's on eBay for $18 - $40.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4502086

• Definitely a steal
  • I've had a few of those sets for different people over the years.  The photos inside have always been stunning and not your typical portraits you pick up anywhere...go back and snag one just to enjoy looking at her...
  • Thought I'd bump this thread. I mainly follow the aussie gear but surely there's a lot of posters that go under my radar and others.
  • I see lots of weirdly low AND weirdly high prices in just about every set of auctions.

I don't want to make consignors or bidders feel bad, so it is not my place to point them out.

But quite often I see two items, where one went for $20 and the other for $100, and I know I would much rather have the $20 one!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited July 2018
    For reference, only 10 were given away through a lottery...

PRIZE/APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (“ARV”)/ODDS: Grand Prizes: There will be ten (10) Grand Prizes each consisting of: the motion picture “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Posters. $20 each; ARV all prizes: $200). 

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/discussion/comment/15883#Comment_15883
  • Thanks for explaining Charlie. I missed the earlier thread and was wondering what caused the high result!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Somebody knew what it was - glad they got it...
  • How come Thursday auctions are still running on emp?
  • There was a problem yesterday, so they were extended for 24 hours...to make it fair fo Dr those who couldn't access and bid.
  • Thanks Ves!
  • Gonna try the EMP consignment lottery again. This seller supposedly got the posters from the Universal lunchroom! I won several (passing on to EMP):