Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Wartime propaganda logos

2»

Comments

• 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Actually I'm at work right now, so I made a search for argentinean + 40s in your image archive, sorted by film year and voila.
    I probably have some more images at home, but yes, my archive looks a lot like yours, probably because 80% of the images in mine come from your auctions.... =)
    And I know I speak for lots of us when saying that your gift to the hobby is one enormously appreciated. I check your archive daily.
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    110x75 said:
    And I know I speak for lots of us when saying that your gift to the hobby is one enormously appreciated. I check your archive daily.
    =)
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Thanks for the thirteen images received so far. I had been wondering how many U.S. film distributors used the logo. So far we have MGM ( 6 ), RKO ( 4 ) and WB ( 3 ). Curious now to know if any other U.S. distributors were involved in using this logo as well during this period ?

Lawrence
    edited December 2016
                                                                               Her Cardboard Lover and Ship Ahoy ( both 1942 ). Two more  examples. It appears, ( so far ), that 1942 to 1944 were the years involved in using this logo.                                                    
    Lawrence

Just in case anyone is still interested in the ''Let's Go, U.S.A. - Keep "Em Flying!'' logo, I still have more information to contribute regarding this matter that will appear here soon.

Lawrence
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,726 admin
    Great images of the Argentinian paper! 

Soinds good Lawrence, look forward to it!

Four more ''America Libre Y Unida'' logo attached Argentinean film posters.

To Have And Have Not ( 1944 ), Fingers At The Window ( 1942 ), Kid Glove Killer ( 1942 ) and Casablanca ( 1942 ).

A question for Mathias? On the To Have And Have Not poster, as well as the logo in discussion, there is also another different logo on the bottom far right of the poster. I have been informed by Matt at eMovieposter.com. that the logo , which is hard to read in any images that I have sighted, that the words are most likely'' Establecimiento Grafico Argentino'' ( EGA ), and the logo was mainly used in the 1940's and 1950's in Argentina, and is believed to be a trade union logo. I would be please Mathias to hear your imput regarding this particular logo. I have located six Argentinean film poster images with this logo appearing on them, and are all either from 1943 or 1944 U.S. released titles.

Lawrence
    "Establecimiento Grafico Argentino" was not a trade union, but one of the largest printing companies down here. The name translates as "Argentinean graphic establishment" They were active from the 20s to the late 60s if I recall correctly...
    I'll check it out.
    They printed posters, and other graphic pieces
    110x75 said:
    "Establecimiento Grafico Argentino" was not a trade union, but one of the largest printing companies down here. The name translates as "Argentinean graphic establishment" They were active from the 20s to the late 60s if I recall correctly...
    I'll check it out.

110x75 said:
    They printed posters, and other graphic pieces

Thanks for that. Any chance you would perhaps be able to supply a large clear image of their logo ?
    Lawrence
    I'm sure I have a better one somewhere. I'll look for it once I finish cooking dinner for my daughters :)
    David said:
    Have fun(ds) with your sub-genre collecting Mark  =)

Via Heritage: https://movieposters.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=54+790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=20th+Century+Fox,+1942&ic4=ArchiveTab-071515

1. Careful, Soft Shoulders (20th Century Fox, 1942) 3SH
    2. Footlight Serenade (20th Century Fox, 1942) 3SH
    3. It Happened in Flatbush (20th Century Fox, 1942)
    4. My Gal Sal (20th Century Fox, 1942)
    5. On the Sunny Side (20th Century Fox, 1942) 3SH
    6. On the Sunny Side (20th Century Fox, 1942) Insert
    7. Right to the Heart (20th Century Fox, 1941)
    8. Roxie Hart (20th Century Fox, 1942)
    9. Small Town Deb (20th Century Fox, 1942)
    10. Son of Fury (20th Century Fox, 1942)
    11. Song of the Islands (20th Century Fox, 1942) Insert
    12. Song of the Islands (20th Century Fox, 1942)
    13. Ten Gentlemen from West Point (20th Century Fox, 1942)
    14. The Mad Martindales (20th Century Fox, 1942)
    15. This Above All (20th Century Fox, 1942)
    16. Whispering Ghosts (20th Century Fox, 1942)

An honest oversight by David in including the Footlight Serenade 3 sht. with the other 15 posters displayed, which have the ''Let's Go U.S.A. Keep 'Em Flying'' logos on them. The original one sheet I had downloaded earlier does have the logo on it, so it would be logical to believe all the posters would be the same. Alas no - as I have found only  two styles of the one sheet that include the logo. The remaining found Insert. WC regular, WC jumbo, title LC, 1/2 sheet, along with the 3 sheet ( pictured above ) formats all were printed minus the logo. Around the time when this film was released the usage of the logo was starting to be phased out. I am thinking, my theory only, perhaps the one sheets were designed and printed first and as the word the filtered through regarding the logo being dropped. The logo was then removed from any artwork  of other pending poster sizes that were yet to be printed. I will download some more images of Footlight Parade shortly and also a one sheet of another different poster which had two versions of the same design, with and without the logo, and also another title that should have had the logo applied, but didn't. All this and Fox short subjects and more soon.
    Lawrence

The other style of Footlight Serenade one sheet on the left with the '' Let's Go U.S.A. Keep 'Em Flying'' logo printed on it and the Jumbo Window Card on the right minus the logo.

Lawrence
    edited January 2017
                               Sundown Jim ( 1942 ). Same style one sheet poster images with and without the '' Let's Go U.S.A. Keep 'Em Flying'' logo.
    Lawrence
    edited January 2017
     Just in case our American members may be interested John Kimbrough, the star of Sundown Jim, was a  U. S. college athlete. a member of the Texas Legistature, the star of two western movies and a rancher. The other western movie he starred in was Lone Star Ranger also from 20th Century Fox in 1942. These two film were his total screen appearances. An image of Lone Star Ranger was posted on this thread earlier on, also featuring the logo in discussion.
    Lawrence
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,726 admin
    edited January 2017
    Very cool info Lawrence! Reminds me that a total of (5) of our 20th Century US Presidents played collegiate football!
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,138 admin
    Very cool info Lawrence! Reminds me that a total of (5) of our 20th Century US Presidents played collegiate football!
    I'd guess three of them were

JFK - active at everything before his back gave up
    GW Bush - seem to remember something about this
    Obama - probably more a sport tragic than all of them.

David
    David said:
    I'd guess three of them were

JFK - active at everything before his back gave up
    GW Bush - seem to remember something about this
    Obama - probably more a sport tragic than all of them.

I don't know but I am thinking is Ronald Reagan possibly one of the five, as I thought that he had played football ?
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
                               Sundown Jim ( 1942 ). Same style one sheet poster images with and without the '' Let's Go U.S.A. Keep 'Em Flying'' logo.
    It could be that the one had the logo either "restored" away, or "enhanced" away
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    It could be that the one had the logo either "restored" away, or "enhanced" away
    Yes I agree but if so I wonder why?
    Lawrence
    It is far easier to paint a bunch of yellow than to recreate an intricate logo, and many ethically challenged restorers thought "Who will ever know?". And when you are enhancing an image, you might accidentally cover over that area when you enhance all the yellow to make it brighter (and to make people bid more).

Marry The Boss's Daughter ( 1941 ).

This film's posters were printed for the 28 November 1941 US release, during the period starting in August 1941 through to late 1942 when 20th Century Fox added the ''Let's Go USA Keep 'Em Flying'' logos to their posters. For some reason or another the logo was excluded from the various posters printed for this film. Was the exclusion simply an oversight or perhaps the posters had been printed prior to August 1941 and the film's release was delayed until November. Another thing we will never know the answer to.

I have many other beautiful examples of the logo printed posters if anyone is interested I will post the images.

Lawrence