Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• Have been reading so many mixed reviews of La La Land.  He strikes me as an odd choice for this style of movie.  From everything I have seen him in previously, he seems to lack any expression of emotion on him.  Probably why he was perfect for films like Drive and Only God Forgives...

I finally managed to finish of the last season of Mad Men, and as expected the fecker doesn't get what's coming to him.

On a side note, I found the scene where Betty finds out about her health mortifying.  The doctor and her husband over in the corner talking about her like she wasn't there. 

Next up need to catch up on Better Call Saul.

• Have been reading so many mixed reviews of La La Land.  He strikes me as an odd choice for this style of movie.  From everything I have seen him in previously, he seems to lack any expression of emotion on him.  Probably why he was perfect for films like Drive and Only God Forgives...

Hmmm, its sitting at 92% fresh at rottentomatoes.  I'm looking forward to it, but then I am a big musical fan.
  • jayn_j said:

Have been reading so many mixed reviews of La La Land.  He strikes me as an odd choice for this style of movie.  From everything I have seen him in previously, he seems to lack any expression of emotion on him.  Probably why he was perfect for films like Drive and Only God Forgives...

Hmmm, its sitting at 92% fresh at rottentomatoes.  I'm looking forward to it, but then I am a big musical fan.
    I like musicals too, a little wary of the cast choice. Be a bit like asking Pierce Brosnan to be in one and expecting him to be fucking very very so insanely off the scale bad, oh wait...

• Trust me the casting is spot on. I also had my concerns before I saw it about Ryan and Emma being cast. They are terrific and both are now Golden Globes Award winners for their performances in the film. Very curious to hear from other members once they see it.
  • HONDO said:
    Trust me the casting is spot on. I also had my concerns before I saw it about Ryan and Emma being cast. They are terrific and both are now Golden Globes Award winners for their performances in the film. Very curious to hear from other members once they see it.
    Agree. The casting is excellent. We went on Thursday, the director was there. He didnt say much, kind of a shy one.

I like musicals, but for whatever reason I did not fall for  this one at all, even though is a good film.

• Lion is one of the best films of the year. Brilliant casting and acting from the whole cast. I wholeheartedly recommend this film. Australia has indeed done a great job in producing top notch films in recent times with two Australian / U.S. co-productions Lion and Hacksaw Ridge.

• Saw Rogue One yesterday. Had very low expectations, as it wasn't part of the original story-but a "spin-off" story. It didn't disappoint. Was actually quite good. Thumbs up!
  • I watched "Age of Adeline" and was mesmerized the entire time...

• edited January 2017
    Best line of the film:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d24631a3-151b-444b-9152-c5af5efbf93e

Here is the full clip:

• Thanks Charlie. I never heard about that one but will check it out. 
  • We watched this last night and couldn't stop laughing. Nick Nolte is incredible here. 

photo images_zps5elhtffqjpg
  • I'll have to check it out...
  • David said:
    jayn_j said:

Have been reading so many mixed reviews of La La Land.  He strikes me as an odd choice for this style of movie.  From everything I have seen him in previously, he seems to lack any expression of emotion on him.  Probably why he was perfect for films like Drive and Only God Forgives...

I like musicals too, a little wary of the cast choice. Be a bit like asking Pierce Brosnan to be in one and expecting him to be #$*^%*! very very so insanely off the scale bad, oh wait...
    Sorry to jump back.  I saw LalaLand and loved it.
    I am posting again because of the Brosnan can't sing thing.  I agree, but the film still worked.  I can think of several from the classic period that were much worse.
    How about Clint Eastwood in Paint Your Wagon?  Joan Crawford in Lady Be Good?  or that all time miscast of Walter Matthau in Hello Dolly.  Of course that one had the added feature of casting Streisand, at 27 to play a sixty something widow.  Streisand can certainly sing, but it was nearly criminal to use her instead of Carol Channing in the role.
  • Of course, there have been miscast in all film whether musicals or regular, but if you cast an actor in a musical and they can't sing then (IMHO) it puts a dampener on the whole thing - hence my Brosnan comment. 
  • Well, yeah, but I was choosing actors in musicals that can't sing.  Both Eastwood and Mattheau were cringeworthy in their roles.  Haven't even mentioned Clark Gable's attempt :)
  • edited February 2017
    Agree...add Russel Crowe.

And yet there are actors who turn their hand at singing who have surprisingly good voices.

• jayn_j said:
    Well, yeah, but I was choosing actors in musicals that can't sing.  Both Eastwood and Mattheau were cringeworthy in their roles.  Haven't even mentioned Clark Gable's attempt :)
    Uhm..Gable? Singing in a film? you've got me there. Which film was this?  :)
  • Mirosae said:
    jayn_j said:
    Well, yeah, but I was choosing actors in musicals that can't sing.  Both Eastwood and Mattheau were cringeworthy in their roles.  Haven't even mentioned Clark Gable's attempt :)
    Uhm..Gable? Singing in a film? you've got me there. Which film was this?  :)
    He wasn't, he talked with a music backing and swung a cane around...definitely wasn't singing

Idiot's Delight (1939)

• Thanks David, much appreciated, for a sec there i thought it might be San Francisco!!!!

:) 
  • I've never seen the movie but was aware of the clip, a bit like asking Sylvester Stallone to sing....

oh wait...  :|

• edited February 2017
    Ok. I'll  admit I opened the clip-but as soon as he started to sing I scrubbed forward to the end when the dialogue resumed. I lost about a minute I'll never get back.  :|

Yes...I know I used the same face as you did, David. But i couldn't find a better one.... ;)
  • To add your own 'face' simply type a : then a letter eg a or b or c etc etc...find your face.

It's not our preferred way but you work with what you got sometimes... :grimacing: (which was : plus the letter g) :hang_loose:
  • Thx David...good to know... :naughty:
  • edited February 2017
    Change of pace from Stallone...

• .I really like Clint Eastwood..................
  • I cannot wait to watch this...it is on 5 March...Joan Crawford Bette Davis rivalry on the set (and out) of  Who Killed Baby Jane

• Love the cars & music! Should be a fun series, will be watching for it!
  • edited February 2017
     Great actresses playing the roles. Looking forward in seeing it. Catherine Zeta-Jones as Olivia de Havilland, Kathy Bates as Joan Blondell and Judy Davis as Heddy Hopper are also a bonus, I hope.
  • Eight episodes and can't wait. Hopefully it will be picked up quickly for screening in Australia.
  • David said:
    I've never seen the movie but was aware of the clip, a bit like asking Sylvester Stallone to sing....

oh wait...  :| 
    Wow, that Stallone clip makes Gable look like a singer.

To be fair, Gable tried and he did do several different 'notes'.  He also did an a'capella hmm 'abide with me' in the film.