Skip to content

What Happened To The Australian Daybills?

Comments

• edited January 2017

Dr. Cyclops ( aka Doctor Cyclops ) ( 1940 ). Nice U.S. artwork and an Australian newspaper advertisement from the Australian 1941 release has me thinking what the Australian Richardson daybill may have looked like.

• Maybe John will surprise us with a few photos from the deep south collection??? =)
  • There are a few Universal Horror posters in the collection but none of the ones Lawrence is looking for unfortunately.
  • That's ok...we would still love to see them when you get around to it :)
  • I'm slowly photographing everything in the collection and will eventually show images. There are some posters that I might send O/S so will hold off showing images for those until I decide what to do with them.
  • edited January 2017

Oklahoma! ( 1955 ). At the top an RKO British quad from the first release there and an Australian newspaper advertisement for the first  release in Australia In 1957 by RKO. Just above for the Australian Todd-AO re-release in Australia by 20th Century Fox in 1961, an Australian Women's Weekly film review. As well as the Todd-AO a general re-release in CinemaScope would have also taken place with the 20th Century Fox daybill printed for this occasion. Daybills for this re-release have been available over the years but I have never sighted an original first release RKO daybill for the film. One would imagine the daybill artwork would have been very nice.

For our keen musical film lovers, surprisingly there are two more missing titles of hugely popular films of their day, without sighted images, still to come. Also a obscure comedy, musical, sci-fi starring a musical great these days, but fairly unknown when the film was made.  Following that I will concentrate on some film noir titles. For horror fans I will eventually return to covering some obscure titles.

I had Meet John Doe on a list of future entries to produce on this thread. Thanks to John for providing the beautiful Marchant & Co. daybill image. Previous to this only a black and white duotone bare-bones daybill, possibly printed in New Zealand,  had been sighted by me.

• I also wish to acknowledge David's contribution regarding Meet John Doe initially featured on the thread.
  •  Calamity Jane ( 1953 ) & Gigi ( 1958 ) were both huge at the box office in Australia, but where are the daybills and other Australian posters ?

• I definitely seen a Gigi Australian one sheet.
  • Gigi Australian one sheet.

•      Carmen Jones ( 1954 ). ( Left to right ) Original U.S. insert, Australian one sheet most likely to be original release, although no printer's credit's on the poster to definitely help confirm this for certain, and a late 1950's printed stock daybill. No original daybill has been sighted to date to my knowledge, so it is another title added to the large number missing that hopefully will turn up one day .
  • Full colour Carmen Jones Aussie One Sheet

• HONDO said:

Calamity Jane ( 1953 ) & Gigi ( 1958 ) were both huge at the box office in Australia, but where are the daybills and other Australian posters ?

Yeah Calamity Jane is high on want to see list too.  No idea why one hasn't surfaced till now!  Of all her movies, I would think this would be right up there as one of the most popular.  Anyone????
  • Toomorrow ( 1970 ). An obscure comedy, musical, science fiction film that Olivia Neston-John made in the U.K. well before she became famous. U.K. artwork and an Australian newspaper advertisement from the original release. Not sure about the origin of the green poster though.  Somewhere there has to be a British Empire Films ( BEF ) Australian daybill.

•  THE JOLSON STORY ( 1946 ). A nice original Australian one sheet, but where is the original daybill ? Plenty of re-release daybills around but the original would be welcomed here.

• Historically important is the 56/57 minute Australian documentary The Inlanders ( 1949 ). Note the reference above in the 1949 Sydney Sun newspaper stating the running time was only 40 minutes. Most likely the film was edited, so the overall programme didn't run for what was probably thought to be too long. Incorrectly credited on IMDB as being released in Australia by British Empire Films, but one can see from the above 1950 Lithgow, N.S.W. newspaper advertisement that the Australian distributor was MGM. Rare, but indeed an important missing daybill.

•   Original 1950 Australian newspaper advertisement                      . U.S.1950 Insert.

Night And The City ( 1950 ).A classic film noir and a keen to find daybill for at least one member of the forum.

• I can confirm that a Night and the City daybill does exist but I am not, at this time, at liberty to share a pic 
  • Come on!  We are a visual bunch!
  • Come on!  We are a visual bunch!
    Well I could ask I suppose ;)
  • now we are talking.
  • You know I just realised what you were talking about Chris! 

Sorry...um yeah, I understand why you can't post it :(

• Where are the daybills for Murder Is My Beat ( 1955 ) ( Richardson Studio ), Kiss Me Deadly ( 1955 ) & Baby Face Nelson ( 1957 ) ?  Nice U.S. inserts above should indicate what the missing daybills may look like.

• No worries Ves ;)
  • And Kiss Me Deadly sigh  :|
  • edited March 2017

Night and the City Australian Daybill

• Someone got permission from a higher power!  Well done ;)
  • Was talking about something else and slipped it in!  Seems we didn't need it...they were fine with just posting :)
  • Was talking about something else and slipped it in!  Seems we didn't need it...they were fine with just posting :)
    I am firmly in the knowledge sharing camp so bonus!